Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
You have reincarnated as this cat.

Cat food better than what most people will ever eat and the privilege of pissing in a high profile shoe? What's not to like?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Meet Bestia Tabat, the Gladiator.

After a long and illustrious career in the arenas of Rome, this fighter of beasts finally earned his freedom. But what is a free man to do when all he knows is combat?

It's time to write your own history. Expeditions: Rome is coming January 20, 2022.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played the demo, bought the game right away, cant wait for release. I loved Conquistadro, played Viking though it did not click with me, Rome is looking really great.

Jinn

Arcane
I loved Conquistadro, played Viking though it did not click with me

To this day it surprises me just how split people seem to be about the first two games. Almost everything from a gameplay standpoint is superior in Viking, from combat, character building, progression, individual location exploration, itemization, to maybe even the writing. The only thing that was objectively better about Conquistador was the overworld exploration element. Beyond that, I guess it just boils down to Conquistador having a more interesting setting. Still though, it continues to confuse me why some people tend to cling to Conquistador as the better of the two.

Not to say that you were asserting one was better than the other, but your general sentiment about it just spurred me to comment on it.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Conquistador has much better writing than Vikings, no contest.

That's not at all the sense I got, though it was several years between playthroughs for me. My overall sense was that the writing was more polished and less amateurish in Viking though, with additional attention placed on build-specific dialogue options.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Conquistador has much better writing than Vikings, no contest.

That's not at all the sense I got, though it was several years between playthroughs for me. My overall sense was that the writing was more polished and less amateurish in Viking though, with additional attention placed on build-specific dialogue options.
I never felt that it wasn't professional. Conquistador's writing was one of the biggest surprises in a positive way.

It felt like they did write what they wanted. Not thinking about what people would think. They didn't compromise one bit, it felt like.

Alphons

Cipher
Conquistador for me had this "adventure" feel. Camping, exploring the map with different encounters and secrets hidden around the map, managing your expedition members, their various interactions with each other and the world. I had 2 vastly different playthroughs by picking different characters each time.

Vikings is more traditional. Here's your roster of scripted companions (liked majority of them), travel and camping are simplified, you're no longer a faceless commander hiding behind your troops. Combat and writing are better, along with quest design.

I really liked them both, both are flawed, but fun games. Played each 2 times, I'll likely play them again.

Speaking of writing, I applaud the psycho that had written the various executions in both games.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I loved Conquistadro, played Viking though it did not click with me
To this day it surprises me just how split people seem to be about the first two games. Almost everything from a gameplay standpoint is superior in Viking, from combat, character building, progression, individual location exploration, itemization, to maybe even the writing. The only thing that was objectively better about Conquistador was the overworld exploration element. Beyond that, I guess it just boils down to Conquistador having a more interesting setting. Still though, it continues to confuse me why some people tend to cling to Conquistador as the better of the two.

Not to say that you were asserting one was better than the other, but your general sentiment about it just spurred me to comment on it.

For me it is a matter of setting and atmosphere. In Conquistador, I had this great feeling of exploring a mysterious land inhabited by strange people. I guess that fact that I like the period depicted in the game helped too and this is basically only game that even deals with the subject matter of Conquista that I know of (well technically there is that datadisc for Age of Empires II I guess, but I wouldn’t count it on the same level).

The problem with Viking was that medieval England simply didnt have the same alure and the game itself simply couldn’t hold my interest just on the basis of the gameplay alone. I do agree that many aspects of the game were better/more polished as should be the case in a sequel, though for me it just wasnt enough.

In case of Rome, the setting is cool (I mean who doesn’t like Roman legions?) and the devs did good job with the new systems (ie you get to manage your legion, command it in battle AND there is the whole RPG stuff along with tactical combat with your retinue). The demo doesn’t show enough to see whether the exploration aspect will be good, however in this case the military aspect as well as the political infighting among powerful Roman families that forms the basis of the backstory are apparently going to be strong enough to carry the game on their own.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, now that I've actually started thinking about, it really does seem that the setting and atmosphere is the real reason that a lot of codexers prefer Conquistador.

I preferred the setting of Conquistador to Viking's myself, but not to the extent that I would deny that Viking is just an all-around improvement in terms of actual gameplay. It just goes to show once again how much the Codex tends towards narrative/setting/atmosphere over actual gameplay/mechanics/systems in the long run. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Just funny considering the way a lot of conversations ostensibly turn out around here.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Conquistador didn't have OCD looting. Big win :)

Like others are saying, it felt more like an adventure, traveling to a new mysterious land filled with danger. The setting for Vikings didn't grab me at all, with its set storyline and characters. Anyway, stealing Aztec gold wins out traipsing around in cold old boring Denmark while being chased by wolves.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vikings are practically barbarians. Case closed.
It also didn't have the disembodied player character feeling that Conquistador had.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It also didn't have the disembodied player character feeling that Conquistador had.

DON LAPTOP HAS NO STATS
INCORRECT. DON LAPTOP HAS STATS.
AF210315DA4E17D3A4F4F31C877C3CE7D7265283

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, now that I've actually started thinking about, it really does seem that the setting and atmosphere is the real reason that a lot of codexers prefer Conquistador.

I preferred the setting of Conquistador to Viking's myself, but not to the extent that I would deny that Viking is just an all-around improvement in terms of actual gameplay. It just goes to show once again how much the Codex tends towards narrative/setting/atmosphere over actual gameplay/mechanics/systems in the long run. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Just funny considering the way a lot of conversations ostensibly turn out around here.
I guess people didn't like all the extra RPG stuff that was added into Vikings that made it slower and less fun on exploring part.

Hellion

Arcane
During the course of the story, you visit Egypt and
end up raising an African Legion of local Berbers to help you fight Ptolemy. You visit their camp and see fully-armed black Principes and Triarii dressed in Roman armor and speaking with a heavy african accent.

Some people here are going to have a field day with this game :lol:

Alphons

Cipher
We all know why so many people enjoyed Conquistador and Vikings.
Killing kids and women.

So how's Rome in comparison?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beware of Greeks bearing sticks:

Meet Syneros, the Mentor.

Your personal servant and teacher, the Greek philosopher has known you since you were a child. But the old man is surprisingly deadly in a fight. What hidden secrets lie buried in his past?

It's time to write your own history. Expeditions: Rome is coming January 20, 2022.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
During the course of the story, you visit Egypt and
end up raising an African Legion of local Berbers to help you fight Ptolemy. You visit their camp and see fully-armed black Principes and Triarii dressed in Roman armor and speaking with a heavy african accent.

Some people here are going to have a field day with this game :lol:

when romans hired local to fight, weren't they kept as auxiliary with their own style of combat like cavalry, light infantry and skirmishers? Also Triarii would have been phased out by the time of the game, no?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom