Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Alphons

Cipher
1557213796-catorrent-org682d03afe53a.jpg

Wanderer: Behind Enemy Lines takes place in a twisted version of modern day reality. You play as US agent dropped somewhere in Russia. Very meta (Gothic games exist in game world and are very often referenced along with whole bunch of other stuff) mod that still has over 120 hours of content.

Alphons

Cipher
Alphons please tell me there is an english translation..

Only one race was capable of translating it.

Enjoy another screenshot though.
13.jpg

English translations are pretty rare, as most Gothic modders just release in their native language. Poland thankfully has autistic translators that work for years (German Odyssey was translated for 5 years).

Cunt Dickula!?

I want GTA San Andreas in Gothic Engine now.
Do something , you crafty slavs!

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
There should be a "masher" next to the vat, pick it up and then interact with the vat. Maybe it isn't the vat, but there is a big environmental object near him you need to interact with.

You have to sit on the stool next to the vat.

Thanks for the help. The problem was that even though I had already picked up the masher, the stool next to the vat (the one on the right, not in use) did not light up to mark as interactive. Also, I had to stand at a very specific angle to it to activate it. Just noting this for future reference.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I'm tying up loose ends before the final push and just happened to wander into the fight club...at level 54. It felt almost shameful to beat the crap out of poor farmers for their turnips. I even 1 shotted the final Nordmarian.

I missed a quest or two that lock out after the assassination attempt, plus there's a cave in blocking the lair of the bounty I missed earlier on.

Shaki

Arbiter
Alphons please tell me there is an english translation..

Only one race was capable of translating it.

Enjoy another screenshot though.
13.jpg

English translations are pretty rare, as most Gothic modders just release in their native language. Poland thankfully has autistic translators that work for years (German Odyssey was translated for 5 years).

Poles are absolutely crazy about Gothic. When I was a teenager, there were hundreds of Polish fansites about the game, thousands of fanfictions written about it, browser games based on it, shit was literally everywhere on Polish net. I know people who hate video games in general, but they still played and loved that one. Gothic is a religion here.

Fargus

Arcane
1557213796-catorrent-org682d03afe53a.jpg

Wanderer: Behind Enemy Lines takes place in a twisted version of modern day reality. You play as US agent dropped somewhere in Russia. Very meta (Gothic games exist in game world and are very often referenced along with whole bunch of other stuff) mod that still has over 120 hours of content.

Hey i actually played that one ages ago. There was a quest where you had to dress Saddam Hussein as moldavian peasant girl and smuggle him to his gay lover. There was Star Wars and LotR references and lots of dumb political and russian pop culture memes that would be too dated nowadays. But for it's time it was funny.

I remember fighting George Bush and his invading army at the end. He was dressed in xardas' robes.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
98% positive is great.
It has a better score than all games on the RPG Codex Top 101.
So is Archolos confirmed to be the best RPG of all time or what?
It's better not just in positive percentage, but even by number of reviews.

Don't know about all time, but I think it's a 2021 GOTY for sure, not even a contest
And the 2% who write negative reviews don't really criticize the mod, but:
- reject it because it has Polish dubbing and reading translation is too difficult
- complain graphics are too dated, doesn't look like AMAZING new games
- are too dumb to run it and too dumb to read the pinned Steam forum thread with step-by-step instruction
- use the not recommended (because the game warns you that it might corrupt saves) quick save option and complain it corrupted their save

I only saw one "legit" negative review about gameplay where the guy complains you can't play a pure mage from the start of the game.

So in fact it's more like 99.9% positive reviews if we exclude dumbfucks.

Alphons

Cipher
So is history of khorinis still going or this is gonna be the last gothic game we have in a while

If you can speak German or Polish there's The Odyssey- over 200 hours, 1000 NPCs and 430+ quests across Athanos, Khorinis, Nordmar, Myrtana and Varant.

2.0 version was released in 2016 in German, translated to Polish in October last year

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So is history of khorinis still going or this is gonna be the last gothic game we have in a while

If you can speak German or Polish there's The Odyssey- over 200 hours, 1000 NPCs and 430+ quests across Athanos, Khorinis, Nordmar, Myrtana and Varant.

2.0 version was released in 2016 in German, translated to Polish in October last year

sadly i speak neither, but who knows if it's ever get translated

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine

sadly i speak neither, but who knows if it's ever get translated

Dont count on it only true EUROPEANS care about Gothic games inhabitants of kwanzania and island niggers from united cuckdom never made a gothic mod and their dedication to translating released ones is nonexistent (you need to know foreign languages to translate something and we all know angloids know only their simple cavemen language.)

Aconitum

Novice
It's still going, but its future doesn't look the best right now. In the comments of their youtube video, they confirmed that it's definitely not coming in 2022. There's been a lot of drama surrounding that project, and Archolos coming out first definitely didn't help them. Remember, they used to be the same project, but the team split up due to some internal issues.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
- complain graphics are too dated, doesn't look like AMAZING fancy new games.
fixed

New games sometimes looks good, but when you play them with all graphics option enabled then - surprise - don't looks that good because developer responsible for special effects failed its job. Now you can have harder time see in the game because HDR/bloom/abberation/whatever was made for benchmarking/screenshots and not longer gaming seassions unless you're some kind of degenerate with eyes melted in your sockets.
You might disable those effect but then you paid for ultra expensive GPU and you can't utilize its full potential?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

How does it compare to Archolos quality-wise?

notpl

Arbiter

It's unplayable trash. Zero alterations/improvements to the basic gothic gameplay whatsoever, it even lacks the basic shit that all mods do like fixed permabonus/LP scaling (meaning you can't consooooom your permapotions immediately or you fuck yourself endgame) and it contains like 15 full gothic-sized maps packed to the gills with trash mobs like a fucking mmo. You have zero ability to customize your character (skill progression is completely set by the plot, cannot be a mage or archer in any meaningful sense) and it goes hard on the plot stuff from gothic 3 that nobody liked.

Total misunderstanding from top to bottom of what gothic - or even just an RPG in general - should be. I'd recommend janky amateur garbage like Velaya or Returning before Odyssey.

If you want something actually good, like sort of in the same arena as Archolos but just moderately worse in all respects, try Legend of Ahssun. Another fun one is called "Dirty Swamp" but it's much shorter and more experimental, mechanically.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine

It's unplayable trash. Zero alterations/improvements to the basic gothic gameplay whatsoever, it even lacks the basic shit that all mods do like fixed permabonus/LP scaling (meaning you can't consooooom your permapotions immediately or you fuck yourself endgame) and it contains like 15 full gothic-sized maps packed to the gills with trash mobs like a fucking mmo. You have zero ability to customize your character (skill progression is completely set by the plot, cannot be a mage or archer in any meaningful sense) and it goes hard on the plot stuff from gothic 3 that nobody liked.

Total misunderstanding from top to bottom of what gothic - or even just an RPG in general - should be. I'd recommend janky amateur garbage like Velaya or Returning before Odyssey.

If you want something actually good, like sort of in the same arena as Archolos but just moderately worse in all respects, try Legend of Ahssun. Another fun one is called "Dirty Swamp" but it's much shorter and more experimental, mechanically.

Dirty swamp is pretty good but on the short side took me like 12h to finish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom