Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
World Ablaze is a nice mod, quite challenging (since I also forgot to stockpile fuel before Barbarossa and had only 30 days of reserve) but it keeps crashing for me in April 1942...

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
For whatever reason Sweden refused to trade iron with me, which was a death sentence to my military economy. So I just invaded Sweden.:M

Do you know any other good mods, that make the game interesting and playable?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For whatever reason Sweden refused to trade iron with me, which was a death sentence to my military economy. So I just invaded Sweden.:M

There is a decision that closes off their options after you take Norway.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

The thing is I never attacked Norway. Norway just decided to join Allies for now reason at all.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The thing is I never attacked Norway. Norway just decided to join Allies for now reason at all.

Yes that was quite obvious from your post.

I think thats quite historical honestly, Sweden was very much forced to trade with Germany and would prefer to not do it if given the option. IIRC they were allowed 4 ships of supply per year from the West during the war to cover the most basic import needs...

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So I conquered both Sweden and Norway. Lots of iron now. Is there any way to dismantle those Reichskommissariats? The Reichskommissariat of Denmark now owns the entire of Scandinavia. That's really annoying, because I just want to release all those countries as puppets. In DH you can just release countries with no problem, but here it's some kind of a shitshow. I wanted to do Sea Lion, but my navy only has 13 ships now, so it's not gonna happen, even though I bombed the crap out of all English ships in the channel. The naval invasion thing is also poorly implemented. Why the hell do I have to wait for so long before launching an invasion? If in reality it took 40-80 days to plan to land on some little island the Pacific War would still be going. And why I can't override the lack of naval superiority? My planes destroy anything that enters the channel. Why can't I risk it? Oh well... Barbarossa it is then...

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
13 ships is enough, just keep bombing the shit out of the channel and put the ships on invasion support. You can even invade with only subs.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
13 ships is enough, just keep bombing the shit out of the channel and put the ships on invasion support. You can even invade with only subs.
I will try that, because Barbarossa failed. The production capability of SU in 1942 is just too massive for me to handle. I need some nukes and rockets to tip the balance. Also I run out of rubber.
Tried another German campaign, again crashed in April 1942. Anyone else experiencing that issue?
I couldn't start the game yesterday, because their shitty launcher refused to work. I reinstalled the launcher and the game started but it would crash when I tried to load my game. I had to reinstall launcher again and it worked.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Game is poop, play Darkest Hour or Hoi3 stead.
HoI3 is crap, it looks like game made by people who heard about war planning and stuff, but they never had any clue about real world military operations. Fans recreated maps, "chain of command" and then forgot to add actual research, and simulate combat.

HoI4 is becoming more crap by iterations after each DLC, naval DLC removed gun and aircraft ranges, thus it killed naval combat. Railroad DLC is lame duck. Greece DLC changed balance.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You too can now waste your entire life trying to finish one campaign only to encounter a bug with tank penetration stats that forces you to restart.
All for the low price of 70+ euros.
Thanks, I am sane enough to play the Army Group X-level scenarios, which don't span 4 years.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, HOI4 is good for larping, but pretending it's a simulation if you've had school education of ww2 is a stretch.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game is poop, play Darkest Hour or Hoi3 stead.
HoI3 is crap, it looks like game made by people who heard about war planning and stuff, but they never had any clue about real world military operations. Fans recreated maps, "chain of command" and then forgot to add actual research, and simulate combat.

HoI4 is becoming more crap by iterations after each DLC, naval DLC removed gun and aircraft ranges, thus it killed naval combat. Railroad DLC is lame duck. Greece DLC changed balance.
similar way as then did to stellaris, game was nice when it came out but went decline as soon then changed the pop system with "improving the ai" excuse.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I gave up on my campaign, because of extremely poor performance. Started to play DH again with Blood and Iron mod. What a huge difference. It's so much better than HoI4 even with World Ablaze. One thing I wish mods for DH used E3 map. In fact I can't even find E3 map anymore. All links seem to be broken and there is only a topogrpahic version available which I don't like.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I don't understand why Paradox STILL hasn't modernized their engine, or rewrite it from scratch. They are not some small 50 person studio anymore. They can do that and soak the upfront costs. It will be a base ground for their upcoming titles. Also add modding support and you get yourself another 10 years of industry profit, because there are no serious competitors with the resources. A small studio can make complex simulator, but it will be without any flavor and presentation[forget any graphics, even good map], unpolished mess for next 5 years. Look at Aurora 4x. Does it look like something you want to play?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't understand why Paradox STILL hasn't modernized their engine, or rewrite it from scratch. They are not some small 50 person studio anymore. They can do that and soak the upfront costs. It will be a base ground for their upcoming titles. Also add modding support and you get yourself another 10 years of industry profit, because there are no serious competitors with the resources. A small studio can make complex simulator, but it will be without any flavor and presentation[forget any graphics, even good map], unpolished mess for next 5 years. Look at Aurora 4x. Does it look like something you want to play?
It's much better to write games like HoI4 from scratch without using engine, and hardcode stuff, than use engine. With engine, paradox blabbering about being unable to send bombers over multiple provinces, and it must teleport them to destination, otherwise HoI4 would run too slowly.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
It is to cut cost and standardize their games which in turn decrease manpower needed and as mentioned, huge cost benefit for them. We should not kid ourselves that they will make engine for every game they do, or every game series.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That's because they have noone who can really programme. They have lost all the talent, because they are a shit company to work for. Those glassdoor reviews were fun to read. Now the only people who work for them are SJW pink haired "community managers" and some interns working for bread crumbs who do some minor coding for their shitty dlcs.

Look mum, no hands!
AKA I wanted to see whether the new OP focuses of Baltic countries can hold on their own against CCCP. Started off with Estonia, no cheese or cheats, no annexing anything other than Latvia and Lithuania and most importantly - not joining papa Adolf because that shit's just too easy and no lend lease before the Germans actually got into the war themselves and offered on their own.

Basic set up a few months after the Soviet ultimatum: Went with 21 width with AA and mass assault doctrine for the memes.
HtlSUQk.png
Forts OP because AI is retarded.
dFrJQV2.png
Initial result. I let em have half the country and bunked down along Daugava river/Riga line.
h6WAAtx.png
4 years later: Did union with Finland for the memes, not like I actually needed them.
5ObdK4E.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom