Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Go Makes White Man Brain Hurty

Andronovo

Learned
I used to play a bit of chess when I was younger. Not that I was any good, but I learned enough about it to be able to follow a game. But what always bugged me about chess is that it's so structured and restrictive. It's always the same board, with the same pieces, and it's just not that open ended, relatively speaking.

So I've been looking to train my brain to be less retarded, and I was looking into playing some chess. But I realized that the chink game called Go really seems to be superior. It's simultaneously more simple in it's basic rules and many orders of magnitude more complex in its possible outcomes. With chess they've had supercomputers that can compete with the best human players for years, because they can just brute force theirr way through all possible moves. With Go they've only recently developed AI that can top the best humans, and only because of some really impressive strides that have been made in neural network structures.

For the past few days I've been mucking around trying to learn Go, and I'm gonna be honest it's making me feel like a drooling idiot. My chess experience is basically useless for this game. Does anyone here play Go, and if your do, how the fuck do I get into it? I've been playing some "easy" AI games on my phone, and I legitimately have no idea what's going on, despite spending hours trying to learn. Help? Please?

Codex Year of the Donut
So I've been looking to train my brain to be less retarded, and I was looking into playing some chess. But I realized that the chink game called Go really seems to be superior. It's simultaneously more simple in it's basic rules and many orders of magnitude more complex in its possible outcomes. With chess they've had supercomputers that can compete with the best human players for years, because they can just brute force theirr way through all possible moves. With Go they've only recently developed AI that can top the best humans, and only because of some really impressive strides that have been made in neural network structures.
If this is what makes a game superior, you should just find a game with the largest decision space possible.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm gonna be honest it's making me feel like a drooling idiot

Welcome to Go. Enjoy your stay.

I learned the basics from YouTube videos but it took *a long time* losing to human players (losing every single match in fact) before I started winning just a few games against the worst players. I played on online sites.

I like it more than Chess because while it does reward knowing the largest amount of strategies and finding optimal game paths, the board state quickly becomes too complex to "solve." Hard to describe but games feel more dynamic as a result, like there are multiple "battles" going on and you have to invest in the ones you believe you can win while making the losing ones as costly for your opponent as possible.

Andronovo

Learned
If this is what makes a game superior, you should just find a game with the largest decision space possible.

kek, I want to actually be able to learn to the play the game, so it can't be too crazy complex. The good thing about Go is you can scale it down or up as much as you want. Plus it seems to have the best balance of simplicity at its core and open possibilities of any game I've seen. But I'm certainly no expert on either chess nor Go. I'm sure some chess fanatic would be able to come along and make strong argument for chess being the superior game.

Andronovo

Learned

I learned the basics from YouTube videos but it took *a long time* losing to human players (losing every single match in fact) before I started winning just a few games against the worst players. I played on online sites.

I like it more than Chess because while it does reward knowing the largest amount of strategies and finding optimal game paths, the board state quickly becomes too complex to "solve." Hard to describe but games feel more dynamic as a result.

There's a Go club run by an autist at my LGS, but I'll have to wait a couple weeks for the coof to die down to go there. Where do you think is best for total babbies to practice online? I figure I might as well muck around in that realm, though I prefer playing in person with someone who is willing to explain to me precisely how I fucked up.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I like it more than Chess because while it does reward knowing the largest amount of strategies and finding optimal game paths, the board state quickly becomes too complex to "solve." Hard to describe but games feel more dynamic as a result.

There's a Go club run by an autist at my LGS, but I'll have to wait a couple weeks for the coof to die down to go there. Where do you think is best for total babbies to practice online? I figure I might as well muck around in that realm, though I prefer playing in person with someone who is willing to explain to me precisely how I fucked up.

I played on places like https://online-go.com/

People are generally helpful, but in the beginning I learned way more from YouTube videos, then playing, then back to the videos

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I enjoy both go and chess, not very good at either but with several dozen of games under my belt.

Both are complicated enough to last you a lifetime. Both are challenging and fun, chess in a more down-to-earth way, go in an elegant brain-wrecking way.
Always felt that in chess, the winner was the one who made the best moves. In go, he is the one who somehow manage to make the less mistakes.

You fucked up the day you were born.

It exists: Connway's Game of Life

Gospers_glider_gun.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom