Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favorite guilty pleasures

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Computer games in general. Life's short, and they're not only a waste of time but also addictive and a substitute for real life achievements.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Computer games in general. Life's short, and they're not only a waste of time but also addictive and a substitute for real life achievements.

If you work hard, you may, in the course of your life, achieve one or two things.

On the other hand, a regular rpg has dozens of achievements on Steam or GOG. And you can collect them all in a matter of weeks.

I think the choice is obvious.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
If you work hard, you may, in the course of your life, achieve one or two things.

On the other hand, a regular rpg has dozens of achievements on Steam or GOG. And you can collect them all in a matter of weeks.

I think the choice is obvious.
:obviously:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hopefully, you're a gamer with a job in gaming or related else... you're gonna be a hobo/transient on the street (assuming you're kicked out for just leeching on friends/family). Tried to be a GAMER in my youth, found out the streets suck.

I still fuck around on NES games and COLECOVISION games. A few rounds of Fargoal, and EUOtopia I grind out a few hundred levels here and there. I had thought about Tibia but that interface looks like ass so meh.

Last edited:

Ulysa

Scholar
Dragon Age 2: I took it all like a joke and I don't think the game takes itself too serious either, unlike emo Dragon Age 1. So I had fun with all the ridiculous hate sex and simple story, I don't even remember the gameplay ... There were buttons:lol:

Fallout 76: was fun for a while to explore with friends and build a base.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait. What? There was hate sex in Dragon Age 2? I played that game too, but I don't remember there being sex in it... I one hundred percent remember it being present in Origins but not sure if it was in 2.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I suppose Skyrim might be something like that.

Sometimes it’s just good lighthearted fun to turn your brain off and sneak around making enemies kill each other and summon some elementals and daedra to finish off who’s left.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The shooter Hard Reset. I think I have replayed it 4 or 5 times since release. I can't think of another shooter that nails the dystopian sci-fi atmosphere similar to the first Bladerunner movie like it does. Also no bullshit, just action. Perfect to play on short notice and in irregularly intervals.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I guess this is about liking RPG's that are disliked by many here?

In that case:
- Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire
- Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2
- Might & Magic X
- Stonekeep

Peachcurl

Cipher
There's some already named so I'll probably just add Bard's Tale IV, Borderlands II, W40k Inquisitor.

I could add some early access games as well, but I guess that'd open up the field too far.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I have to admit I am thinking about asking to move it to General Gaming so people can put in whatever genre they want.
Yeah, I don't really play RPGs as guilty pleasures. My guilty pleasures are themed solitaire and mahjong games, and hidden object games.

8cdsi8S.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Amalur, Wasteland 2 and MMX.

Amalur is a consoletard action RPG with a generic popamole world, but I somehow liked how it turned out. There's a ton of shit to do, the world retained some of the hand-craftedness and I liked the freedom. It's basically a single player MMO for consoles.

Wasteland 2 despite everything had sound systems that worked and it was challenging. It had *some* of the charm of Fallout, if only scarcely because of the humor or bizarre post apoc stuff. Like when you found booby trapped cow shit or a cult that worships a warhead.

MMX had these simplistic basic childrens enviroments I hated. Exploring the world was terrible, it felt like some zelda game made for retards, but I thought combat turned out great. I liked the fast progression too.

Tihskael

Learned
Polarising as it might be, I will admit I am enjoying Death Stranding quite a lot.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Battlespire is an immensely shit game that I cannot get enough of. You get to see HOT ELF TITS in like ten seconds if you play your cards right.

King's Field games are janky, dumb, clunky piles of 10 FPS TRASH because FromSoft can't make games... but I like 'em.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Your favorite guilty pleasures

There's children reading this forum, I really can't talk about that...

Name some (a)rpgs, or in abscense of those take games from another genre,

Guilty, not, but for the pleasure part, I'm a big fan of 80's/90's arcade games like Golden Axe, Altered Beasts (the console ports aren't as good and gamepads <<<<<<<<< arcade sticks), Cabal, TMNT arcade with four players was also good but very fucking expensive (although there was a cheat to get more credits, you just had to push the button like a madman and sometimes, you won the bingo), Dragon Ninja, Double Dragon and the likes.

Or weirder games like Dynamite Dux, very good cartoony beat'em all.
Alien Storm as well, not the best beat'em all but the alien theme makes it stand out.
Target Renegade, an Amstrad beat'em all.
Fruity Frank, an Amstrad "pac-man" like pirated game I brought back from Germany back in the days.
Rainbow Island, a snow-bros like 2 players platformer where you had fire rainbows at your foes and you could jump on them too, you had too because it was a vertical run where the screen was scrolling and a rainbow would disappear after 1 jump.
Ghoul's & Ghosts (MD), Ghosts'n Goblins (Arcade), action platformers, it was a blooming genre back then.

P.S. they're all good though, i don't like shit games and I don't feel guilty for that either.

:excellent:

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Amazing there is actually a full playthrough of Restricted Area.

Those awful animations. :lol:

This looks so gonzo, I kind of want to play it now. 17 negative Steam reviews with an average play time of 0.2 hours and regular price of like $1. Clearly the mark of quality.

EDIT: Oops, apparently the Steam info is from a game with the same name but that's some sort of terrible looking FPS.

Last edited:

pomenitul

Arbiter
'What are your favourite guilty pleasures?' is different from 'Which are the most underrated games on the Codex?' A guilty pleasure is literally that: a game you feel guilty for liking because you believe you should know better.

Anyway, to answer OP's question: none. If I'm enjoying a game, I refuse to feel any guilt over it.

Sykar

Arcane
EDIT: Oops, apparently the Steam info is from a game with the same name but that's some sort of terrible looking FPS.

Yep neither GoG nor Steam have it. As far as I know you have to DL ot from an abandonware page. The game is so obscure that it might be difficult to run on modern machines. The guy in the two videos I linked had an old Win XP machine for the game if I understood him correctly.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I enjoyed a filthy coomer game called Lust From Beyond. I was lured in by the Lovecraftian setting, the H.R. Giger art style, and the survival horror elements. It did a great job building the atmosphere, and often made me feel like the protagonist in my favorite B-movie Dagon. Many absurd what-the-fuck moments too, and very rapey. :?

Starwars

Arcane
Skyrim - While I get bored quite quickly if I replay it now, I had a lot of fun with it when it was released. Played it a lot and thought it was a huge, huuuuge improvement on Oblivion.

Tides of Numenera - While certainly all over the place, and not nearly as cohesive as Planescape: Torment, I thought it was pretty fun overall. Didn't leave up to its potential but still enjoyed it.

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 - Well, wouldn't call these "guilty pleasures" per say. They are fantastic games overall, lots and lots of fun to be had.

Black Angel

Arcane
I don't have guilty pleasure games because i don't feel guilty about liking something.
This, but to flip the statement around:

If I (will) feel guilty of it, I (would) find no pleasure in it. Absolutely none. Such concept is foreign to me, too.

Amazing there is actually a full playthrough of Restricted Area.

Those awful animations. :lol:

When you said 'Restricted Area' in the OP, I thought you're talking about the concept, i.e areas restricted in video games. So I was like, "....Ha?"

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I enjoyed a lot M&M 8, Diablo 1/2 and believe or not, liked the story of Dragon Age 2(the game still shit). A conflict between mages X templars is way more interesting than "go save the world". I also enjoyed quite a lot Gothic 3(not saying that is great as G1) and is not a guilty pleasure, but I always play Dark Souls as a caster.

Even in places where magic is worthless in DS2, I use moonlight greatsword(high level) or a fire longsword(low level).

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Vanilla private servers with slightly increased xp gain so I can get immersed in pre-cata Azeroth without having to grind monsters for weeks. Wouldn't say I feel guilty for it though, I'll defend pre-cata WoW till my death!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom