Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

kirin

Learned
crazy thread:

why does all this sound so appealing

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anybody got a somewhat complete collection of fire emblem 7 hacks?
Managed to snag shining force hacks on other websites but serene forest hacks are dead i the water.
I am looking for:
-Sacred contention
-Prisoner of darkness

Last edited:

Thorakitai

Learned
It's honestly questionable how quiet IS is lately. The last major thing they released is the DLC side story for Three Houses which was released on Febuary 13, 2020. It doesn't help that Koei-Tecmo did the greater bulk of developing the graphics and the story for Three Houses while the remaster of Advance Wars is being outsourced to the developer of the Shantae games.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If the decision to develop a new FE was decided a few months after the release of Three Houses, I could still see them releasing one towards the end of Switch's life cycle. If it was a financial success and they can use existing engine it would seem sane. Of course it wouldn't have been clear then, but Nintendo probably isn't in a hurry to introduce a new console considering the chipset shortage and what it would mean for the manufacturing schedule.

Thorakitai

Learned
If the decision to develop a new FE was decided a few months after the release of Three Houses, I could still see them releasing one towards the end of Switch's life cycle. If it was a financial success and they can use existing engine it would seem sane. Of course it wouldn't have been clear then, but Nintendo probably isn't in a hurry to introduce a new console considering the chipset shortage and what it would mean for the manufacturing schedule.

Still, it's rather baffling that Three Houses only has Cindered Shadows as only DLC side quest available seeing how Three Houses is just as financially successful as the previous entries which has loads of DLC.

deuxhero

Arcane
crazy thread:

why does all this sound so appealing

FE10 was very clearly rushed to be an early Wii release (Wii released December 6th 2006 in Nippon and RD released Feb 22nd 2007). I think just a simple Tellius remaster could improve FE9 and FE10 vastly with just a few simple changes (speed up enemy turns, a few balance tweaks, updated graphics for FE9, a bonus chapter or two in FE10 to fix the difficulty curve, support convos for FE10)

Writing all those romances takes time.
Just under one tenth (245 of 2466) of all Edelgard art on Pixiv is also tagged yuri and that's not counting all the stuff that's clearly romantic but not tagged yuri. A very significant part of her appeal is her willingness to bang the FeMC.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
mUmJt0c.png

Everything around Sylvia is hilarious.

ZNg2KfO.png

Gigachad

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Was the Shadow of Valencia remake successful? Maybe they will make one more for the Switch, although they definitely need to master the hardware first.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Was the Shadow of Valencia remake successful? Maybe they will make one more for the Switch, although they definitely need to master the hardware first.

I can't imagine Shadows of Valencia being succesful. It was a very Lackluster game.

I mean it would be great if they remade Genealogy but what are the chances that they will do it and do it well?

Endemic

Arcane

dacencora

I can't imagine Shadows of Valencia being succesful. It was a very Lackluster game.

I mean it would be great if they remade Genealogy but what are the chances that they will do it and do it well?
I'm not super experienced with the series but I have to agree. The story was pretty okay and the core gameplay was alright, but not as good as other FEs I've played, including 3H. The maps were pretty boring, there were a couple of interesting ones (the poison swamp comes to mind), but overall the best part of the game was the art and music.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
What's wrong with three houses? I've played all of the games on the 3ds, GameCube, and Wii, and three houses is my favorite of the bunch

quixotic

Learned
What's wrong with three houses?
The map design is absolutely horrid. Which is a huge dealbreaker for many people (including me) when it comes to SRPGs, especially FE. It’s my biggest issue with Awakening. 90% of the maps are just big empty spaces. There are barely any interesting side objectives or incentives to push you through besides “Beat all the enemies”
The monastery is, to be frank, fucking awful. You have to spend far too much time in it. As such replayability suffers. I love replaying Fire Emblem games to try units I’ve never used but 3H is just too bloated and slow.
Then there’s the matter of permadeath, it’s far too punishing in 3H due to how much time and resources you have to pump into each unit. In older games you can lose half your army and still beat the game if you’re skilled enough.
Also fuck this time travel mechanic bullshit that Echoes started, it’s stupid. Let me be punished for my mistakes.

dacencora

What's wrong with three houses?
The map design is absolutely horrid. Which is a huge dealbreaker for many people (including me) when it comes to SRPGs, especially FE. It’s my biggest issue with Awakening. 90% of maps are just big empty spaces. No interesting objectives or incentives to push you through besides “Beat all the enemies”
The monastery is, to be frank, fucking awful. You have to spend far too much time in it. As such replayability suffers. I love replaying Fire Emblem games to try units I’ve never used but 3H is just too bloated and slow.
Then there’s the matter of permadeath, it’s far too punishing in 3H due to how much time and resources you have to pump into each unit. In older games you can lose half your army and still beat the game if you’re skilled enough.
Also fuck this time travel mechanic bullshit that Echoes started, it’s stupid. Let me be punished for my mistakes.
Three Houses is fantastic, one of my favorite games of all time. I thought the map design was pretty good and the secondary objectives were usually fun to try and achieve within the turn limit. At the time I wasn't a fan of the Persona-style Supports, but I bet I'd love it now, after actually playing and loving Persona 4. The time rewind is pretty forgiving but I think the fights were challenging enough that it didn't bother me too much. The customization in 3H is sublime.

I am rereading my comment, GhostCow, and I can see why you might think I had a low opinion of 3H, but that is far from how I feel.

quixotic

Learned
I’d like to add that I don’t hate 3H, hate is a strong word.
I just don’t like the game, or the direction it’s (probably) taking the series.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I’d like to add that I don’t hate 3H, hate is a strong word.
I just don’t like the game, or the direction it’s (probably) taking the series.

pretty much I share the view on what is problematic with three houses.

Also: I think the stories are in decline since FE8 the characters are incredibly bland (that started with awakening though) and gameplay wise its a big step backward coming from fates (if you exclude statue farming). I know this is a unpopular opinion but they tried and actually achieved very interesting mechanics in fates, the rest was just utter shit.

Three houses feels like a neutered FE to win over the persona crowd both in complexity and style. I also do not appreciate them shifting from the "fan-servicey" stuff to the extremely tame style, not because i enjoyed heavy armor Panty windows per se but because they are catering to the "progressive" crowd (also in Story and characters).

I wish they would go back to the style of 4 but thats a pipe dream in the end I would take Fates art direction over three houses art style any day.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I don't think the maps were that bad. At least they weren't full of annoying gimmicks like some of the other games in the series. 3H is my favorite because it has the best character building and the best waifus. I don't care much about the rest. My only major complaint is the serious lack of fan service. I mean the sauna scenes don't even show any skin. That's shit.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like the rewind mechanic because my hands have a habit of reacting faster than my mind which leads me to making lots of dumb moves that I regret the instant I hit the confirm button. Anyway, I wanted to ask what people thought of the Three Houses season pass content now that the dust has settled. It's hard to find a straight answer online since there are a lot of sycophants who will hype up anything so I'd rather have it from here. Worth it or no?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I like the rewind mechanic because my hands have a habit of reacting faster than my mind which leads me to making lots of dumb moves that I regret the instant I hit the confirm button. Anyway, I wanted to ask what people thought of the Three Houses season pass content now that the dust has settled. It's hard to find a straight answer online since there are a lot of sycophants who will hype up anything so I'd rather have it from here. Worth it or no?
All if it is shit except for the final DLC. The final DLC is good. It has the best/most challenging missions (mostly because they are 100% linear with no character building options or choice of party members). I also like the new characters it added. They make replaying the main game more fun with the new classes and waifus.

dacencora

I don't think the maps were that bad. At least they weren't full of annoying gimmicks like some of the other games in the series. 3H is my favorite because it has the best character building and the best waifus. I don't care much about the rest. My only major complaint is the serious lack of fan service. I mean the sauna scenes don't even show any skin. That's shit.
I thought the maps were a lot of fun. There were some puzzle-y maps, where you had to figure out which enemy had the key to a door, and some of them had multiple routes, and then if you didn't watch the rearguard they would get slaughtered by NPCs that came into the map from a tunnel behind you. I thought that they were very fun challenges, and as you mentioned, the character building is top-notch. SoV was okay but nowhere near as good as 3H.

Also Edelgard was a pretty interesting character and she was always my MVP. The Devil Axe was killer for a good chunk of my Black Eagles run

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't think 3H had very good maps at all, but that they were passable. 3H is above all a big fat meaty munchkin synthesising machine, and is quite enjoyable as such (which, yes, would have been a lot better with better map design and less emphasis on Super-Armoured Boss Monsters).

It's hard to see any comments about story/style changes as anything more than a storm in the world's tiniest teacup - everything since 3D/higher fidelity graphics is basically all variants of the same old forgettable anime textbook. 3H at least isn't actively destroying your brain cells with retardation with every single dialogue scene the way that, say, Conquest was, and most of the high-screentime characters don't fall into the most sickening stereotypes (like "oh I am so SMALL and CUTE!!!" girl, or "humans...are...so...interesting! is...this...what...they...call...love?" robotlike, and so on). You also get a lot of freedom in recruitment so you can easily leave behind anyone you hate and still fill that role in other ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom