Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
Guys, I recruited undead Ciar, should I use him mounted on the horse or on foot?

I will make him a two handed falchion death knight. I know that falchions aren't the best weapon to specialize with feats and mythic feats, but I like the concept of him using this type of weapon and I play to get fun, getting fun with a interesting char build is much more important for me than bigger numbers.
On-foot. His horse sadly isn't as undead as he is, and will inevitably end-up wracked with exhaustion trying to keep-up with the tireless party of zombies it's stuck with. Gasping for a death that will never come.

It was funny watching it get paralyzed mid-charge though, it's mortality rendering it victim to what it's rider boasts immunity to. I liked to imagine Undead Ciar impotently flailing his sword in the air as his horse stands ramrod-stiff, while Staunton, Kestoglyr and Skeleton Champion rush past him and into battle.
No, wtf. His horse is no less powerful than any other horse of any other mounted character. Yes it does not have some immunities but you can grab Mythic companion for more stat boosts and grab Improved Will saves and it can be buffed with spell as well as Ciar. Also while Ciar is mounted his enemies don't target him, they all target the horse so you can ignore Ciar's AC and can go full DPS. Also there is that spell that gives anyone undead abilities for 10 minutes per level, I think that can be used on a horse as well.

Yosharian

Arcane
Not sure if that's the case. Animal Growth doesn't stack with Barkskin for example. And Barkskin doesn't stack with ammys, obviously.
I THINK Transformation also no longer stacks, but I'm not exactly sure.
Barkskin is an enhancement, I never said enhancements stack

Almost all standard natural armour bonuses stack, the only ones that don't are ones that come from very similar spells, they have a particular wording like 'form bonus' or something.

And even then it's not a given

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Isn't it possible to make his horse an undead horse so that negative energy will heal it? Or an undead companion comes with a live mount?

I believe that undead blessing, a Lich spell can make his horse undead, but only temporary. The feats that makes your pet undead permanently are sadly lich only. I din't tested his falchion yet or if undead blessing works on the horse, but I'm at work at this moment, in about 5 hours I will test it.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
After defeating Darazzand.
Minagho: "You are leting me go now? How can this be? You are always somewhere else than you are exptected to be, always doing something else than others think you would."
Queen Galfrey: ...thereby, I am forced to strip you of the command of the 5th crusade...
My PC with the Azata moral compass: "Oh goodness, finally, some peace :smug:... Thank yo-, EEHRM, I meant, I humbly obey what your Highness desires!
Daeran: "Shouldn't you reconsider, cousin, he is THE hero we've been waiting for?"
Herald of Iomedae, the most Righteous one under the sky: "He is THE one, THE hope, and he delivers whatever are his methods. Please be kinder with him?"

This is some Red panda stuff right there, truly.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Isn't it possible to make his horse an undead horse so that negative energy will heal it? Or an undead companion comes with a live mount?

I believe that undead blessing, a Lich spell can make his horse undead, but only temporary. The feats that makes your pet undead permanently are sadly lich only. I din't tested his falchion yet or if undead blessing works on the horse, but I'm at work at this moment, in about 5 hours I will test it.
As I was told you probably don't want to turn horse undead as he loses his huge Con bonus and gets a bad Charisma bonus and as result loses a lot of HP and fort save.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
This thread.
XkLJCMN.jpg

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
As I was told you probably don't want to turn horse undead as he loses his huge Con bonus and gets a bad Charisma bonus and as result loses a lot of HP and fort save.
This is a very good point. Thank you.

P.S.: I need to play faster to have Lich playthrough before the console release. :cool:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure if that's the case. Animal Growth doesn't stack with Barkskin for example. And Barkskin doesn't stack with ammys, obviously.
I THINK Transformation also no longer stacks, but I'm not exactly sure.
I love using that spell with Wolfjin in tougher battles. He becomes a beast and no longer misses.

Well, so far Wolfjit is my 2nd damage dealer anyway, right behind my main. He's missing Pounce, but once enemies are in range, he usually shreds with his 11 sneak attacks and rather frequent crits. And he provides Shields and Blur for most of the party + Barkskin to some. Plus Freebooter's Bond & Debilitating Injuries (+Bane where applicable).
Also enjoys 2nd best AC in my party (right behind my horse), with Mirror Image too.
Very useful, this tiefling.

Humbaba

Arcane
Yes, there's a spell called blessing of unlife. But that means you have to dedicate a spell slot just to have that damn animal be compatible with the rest of the ghoul crew. If the PC has a mount then you can pick a mythic feat to make your mount permanently undead but that's a huge opportunity cost and just another reason why lich is not that great, at least for classes with animal companions.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, there's a spell called blessing of unlife. But that means you have to dedicate a spell slot just to have that damn animal be compatible with the rest of the ghoul crew. If the PC has a mount then you can pick a mythic feat to make your mount permanently undead but that's a huge opportunity cost and just another reason why lich is not that great, at least for classes with animal companions.
It is a tiny problem as it is like a lvl 5 spell or something. And it is best of both worlds as Horse keeps Con as for bonus HP but gets a bunch of immunities.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who as those "DICE"? I mean - everybody and his dog are making some end of year awards, how these Dice are different?

Also, I am pretty sure Owlcat Games will never twit about Codex no matter how many GOTY they receive.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, so far Wolfjit is my 2nd damage dealer anyway, right behind my main. He's missing Pounce, but once enemies are in range, he usually shreds with his 11 sneak attacks and rather frequent crits. And he provides Shields and Blur for most of the party + Barkskin to some. Plus Freebooter's Bond & Debilitating Injuries (+Bane where applicable).
Also enjoys 2nd best AC in my party (right behind my horse), with Mirror Image too.
Very useful, this tiefling.

Yeah, its a funny game. I just made a Demonslayer merc that outdamages my SS despite SS's Elemental Barrage. And he's a better tank too, at least for 1 more level.

Humbaba

Arcane
That's it boys, second playthrough is a wrap. Hobart, halfling deliverer shoved his lance down Areelu's throat and retired with his kosher succubus wife. As great as the Legend theme is, I wish it played this instead:

Big treatise below if you're interested.

Trust me when I say that playing an RPG more than just once is important for a fair assessment of the whole thing. My last playthrough, which in hindsight I bungled pretty bad in several respects, left a bad taste in my mouth, much like my dick on your mum's tongue. I really did not like the lich path, mechanically or narratively and my decision to go for a cleave Gendarme was horrible in retrospect. Especially the second phase of the Areelu fight gave a really bad last impression.

Angel is a much better path, especially storywise. Za Hando showing up to help who he thinks is the messiah makes a lot more sense when you're radiating holiness instead of necromantic fog (why doesn't Zacharius show up to help instead? Doesn't he have a vested interest in my survival?). It also helps that with Angel he appears even before the Ivory Sanctum, which makes your attachment to him stronger. Targona also becomes more of a character in her own right than just someone you end up rescuing from Areelu's lab. Getting to meet Lariel is also great because you get to thank the person who is single handedly responsible for your current position.

The way I see it, Angel segues seamlessly into Legend. In fact, imo any LG character should reject Areelu's adrenochrome and has no reason to keep it with a good conscience. "The end justifies the means"/"Hey at least it gets results!" is not a LG principle. No matter how you look at it, you are a big fucking fraud. Besides, Legend is fucking baller, because it gives the player the most important thing it possibly could, namely agency. Think about it: the premise of the game is that you're Areelu's plant, an experiment to resurrect her dead son and your actions just so happen to align both with the interests of the crusade and Nocticula. I wouldn't say that the PC has absolutely no connection to the crusade because it is heavily implied (by your own dialogue choices in fact!) that your guy came to Kenabres for the expressed reason to join the crusade. It's not like he was just walking down the street one day when Areelu shoved a crystal between your lungs and turned you into a crusader. That would've been awful, Arcanum-esque writing. With Legend, while your goal of closing the Worldwound does not change, which it shouldn't anyway, it evolves meaningfully because now, you're closing the thing on your own terms. You tell Nocticula and Areelu to shove it and then you save the world speaking softly and carrying a big stick. Fantastic story progression. If they had to make one single path canon, it should be Legend.

Discovered a lot of reactivity as well, regarding the PC being a halfling, his class and belief in the Godclaw, some examples of which I have posted here already. Also learned a lot about build and party viability. Me and the grave guard on my first playthrough gelled like water and oil, meaning not at all. Now, the Short King Brigade consisting of my PC, Regill and Greybor did short (heh) work of most everything the grave guard had trouble with. My vital strike build worked extremely well, hiding behind the front line and dishing out 300+ dmg longspear non-crits to anything with an AC that wasn't 80. While not a front line fighter due to his subpar HP and AC, he could hold his own during the Gargoyle attack on the camp, being carried by the free Diehard Deliverer gets. Solid build all around (Deliverer 20/ Mutation Warrior 20). Shy Lily's Helmet looks great together with the Messenger's chainshirt.

The endgame still sucks, I've said this before, even with a much stronger party. However, this time I discovered that 1. If you kill Deskari (and maybe you have to have gone Angel too idk) you face the Echo instead, who is a huge bitch and dies in one thrust. But at least he gets a sendoff, unlike Lich where he shows up, kidnaps za Hando and then is never seen again. Just another reason why Angel is a great path and there are many more. 2. You can skip Areelu's second phase entirely. I am not sure which conditions need to be met but after the first phase you can call out her plan to off herself before she can be used to close the Worldwound and pass a DC 50 persuasion/diplomacy check to convince her that that is a bad idea. She will then give up. If you've gone Legend you can tell her that her death isn't necessary at all but you can still kill her, which I did because you don't get to fuck up the world and kill millions and get away with it. You step into the vortex with her son's shadow, close the Worldwound and go home. With that, the game had a much more satisfying conclusion, especially since I managed to convince Pharasma to erase Areelu. Very happy with this playthrough and I'm looking forward to bring Hobart out of retirement for the DLC campaign.

I was unsure whether or not I liked Wrathfinder more than BG2 before but now I am very certain. Finally, after 21 years, the damn thing has been surpassed. All my gripes with the game are technical, relatively minor or were caused because I was too dumb to build my party right. People fault it for being "overambitious" which is retarded. Ambition is good and playing it safe is decline. It is unpolished still several months after release but let's not forget how jank our beloved classics are without mods. I am very glad that the game is selling well, because a cult classic has never helped the industry. For all I care Owlcat can keep adapting Pathfinder modules until the end of time.
Gonna do the ascension ending next and finally do Nenio's quest. Might try the Galfrey romance too. Will pick Azata this time but I reserve the right to switch to Devil if the cringe turns out to be too strong and/or the extreme alignment is justified well enough. But the Azata theme is reaaaally strong so idk.

Forseti

Novice
MAking a kineticist merc worth? I know that in kingmaker, kineticists are godlike. How they are in this game?
High floor, low ceiling in this game.
They end up being not as strong as the other broken stuff you could be doing with mythic abilities, like proccing Elemental Barrage multiple times per hit on every attack per turn. There are a couple hilarious infinite combos for melee-kin like Demon's Aspect of the Kalavakus + a combat maneuver infusion.
I think a run where you just make everyone into an AoE kineticist would be viable. Just kite enemies into a stack and have everyone blast it, or start fights with 4 churning earths, which still hits twice on the first cast. That has to be a bug.

Fire blaster kineticist (ele engine) trickster MC critting something mid-game:
zFr9xLK.png

Energy blasts targeting touch AC is really nice if you can get past the spell res.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MAking a kineticist merc worth? I know that in kingmaker, kineticists are godlike. How they are in this game?
High floor, low ceiling in this game.
They end up being not as strong as the other broken stuff you could be doing with mythic abilities, like proccing Elemental Barrage multiple times per hit on every attack per turn. There are a couple hilarious infinite combos for melee-kin like Demon's Aspect of the Kalavakus + a combat maneuver infusion.
I think a run where you just make everyone into an AoE kineticist would be viable. Just kite enemies into a stack and have everyone blast it, or start fights with 4 churning earths, which still hits twice on the first cast. That has to be a bug.

Fire blaster kineticist (ele engine) trickster MC critting something mid-game:
zFr9xLK.png

Energy blasts targeting touch AC is really nice if you can get past the spell res.

Which mythic path? Azata? Trickster?

------------------------

Fuck. I played a eternity. Is my third run of the game that I've killed Playful darkness in core and no archivement...

cUq59Fn.png

vzNMaDU.png

And a video of I defeating him;

:despair:

I just wanna my achievement.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Gonna do the ascension ending next and finally do Nenio's quest. Might try the Galfrey romance too. Will pick Azata this time but I reserve the right to switch to Devil if the cringe turns out to be too strong and/or the extreme alignment is justified well enough. But the Azata theme is reaaaally strong so idk.
Note that galfray is racist against chaotics, so she will not romance azatas afaik.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom