Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Mauman

Learned
So, I finished fight club....and went back there the next night.

I'm now a little depressed.

What the HELL was Alena thinking, trying to bring in a fucking Shadowbeast of all things?! :argh:

Oh well, I got some apples from the corpses, so I guess I'm ok with it.

Mauman

Learned
Fun little exploit I just found.

If you beat on someone while they sleep, other's won't notice and your bounty won't increase.

It's a little buggy. Sometimes they don't get xp (and they get "stuck" on their beds, but still lootable). Sometimes they'll get up immediately with one hp and attack you (but they won't cause an alarm still), and then you'll get the xp for beating them.

Even if they get out of bed with other's around, no one else will notice as long as you don't move around while swinging your sword. They'll get up, complain about their head, and then go back to sleep even if you're standing right there still.

Even with the bugs, it's a good way to get apples.

Sloul

Savant
Justicar it has nothing to do with quicksave, any save can be corrupted, it has been pointed out many times in this thread.
Every time you load the game it generates new seed for lockpicking combinations.
This isn't the case with quick save/load, which is probably the only reason why quick save/load was disabled in the first place.

I personally save to the first slot and always do a quick save backup, and it saved me m.u.l.t.i.p.l.e. times, I'm 240hours in and still not done with the game (just begun chap.5).
I possibly had a dozen corrupted saves, if not more, and my backup always saved the day. At most I lost 5 minutes (at the very top).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Gothic engine literally uses a different process for quicksaving than manual saves.
I have *never* quicksaved and none of my saves have ever corrupted, not in G1, not in G2 and not in this.

Yes, even regular saves can get corrupted-- but it is so extremely rare; the game would have to have an access violation while you are saving, which is very unlikely with the 4GB memory patch.

e8b9046dacedd7571f7487e490343571.png

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Gothic engine literally uses a different process for quicksaving than manual saves.
I have *never* quicksaved and none of my saves have ever corrupted, not in G1, not in G2 and not in this.

Yes, even regular saves can get corrupted-- but it is so extremely rare; the game would have to have an access violation while you are saving, which is very unlikely with the 4GB memory patch.

To add to this, the systempack creator (who is very familiar with the Gothic engine) recommends you have it off completely.

The act of saving without opening the menu apparently changes the way the game unloads resources. It makes sense as the game likely "pauses" a bunch of stuff when you open the menu, quicksave likely skips directly to saving the game without going through the same process.

Edit: Also to mention I never quicksaved and didn't suffer a single corrupt save the entire way through.

Tygrende

Arbiter
In my ~15 years of playing gothic I have never used quicksaves and had save corruption happen I think about 3 times. At least 2 if not all of those happened because the game crashed or power went off during saving. Not a single corruption in Archolos so far.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Are there any quests with Astrologist in Old Town?
double ninja edit: Has anyone figured out what to do with the Wisp? It's important enough to warrant a journal entry.

i think it was sent by Riordan later to find Kessel, i dont know if he made it or maybe it lived there before expedition, maybe some leftover for possible saving of Kessel?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can now rest...

I am very happy with my ending slides. Please note my armor values

a9f862e2ac0e860ba2bf1f38d1c681e3.png

Didn't eat my strength foods so it should be 340 STR.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
So, I finished fight club....and went back there the next night.

What the HELL was Alena thinking, trying to bring in a fucking Shadowbeast of all things?! :argh:

Ha. I have to go back to check that out.

Finished @lvl 57. The Usurer got Jack Ruby'd and I saved the Doggo. Nothing else matters.

Groped

Barely Literate
As much as I love this game, I hope it'll end soon. Whenever I think I'm close to wrapping up, I get a barrage of new quests. Starting to feel like a chore. I've been overpowered for around 40% of the playthrough by now. I keep hearing the voice of Irenicus in my head... "must I be interrupted at every turn?!". Looking forward to the end dungeon though, bet it'll be great.

Making final preparations to go to what I assume will be the end dungeon. One question:

I've received provisions from these people. But I think I'm missing something, because the "Rainy Day Stash" achievement doesn't unlock, and the journal hasn't updated. Do you know of anyone else we can get provisions from?
  • Helga (tavernkeeper, harbor)
  • Knut (woodcutter, harbor)
  • Bevin (beekeeper camp)
  • Zachary (fisherman, Sailor's Retreat)
  • Tomas (dark paladine brewer)
  • Slager (butcher in town)
  • Odgar (smith in town)
  • Ernesto (winemaker in town)
  • Tengral (church of Innos)
  • Rita (vineyard)
  • Valerio brother (vineyard)
  • Helmud (charcoal burner)
  • Bastian (innkeeper Silbach)
  • Dima (Araxos stall)
Viktor, Ezekiel, Runar, Pablo/Rupert

• Already spoke with Viktor, that only triggered the dog quest. Maybe you're thinking of Bastian?
  • Already spoke with Runar, no new dialogue options (and I did do his quest).
  • I don't remember any Pablo. Do you know where he's at?
  • Forgot about Rupert. Got provisions from him now, thanks! Still not enough though.

Can you tell me where Rupert is? I used to be able to find him in Silbach at the tavern, but I haven't seen him in ages now. Searched the whole village but can't seem to find him.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
As much as I love this game, I hope it'll end soon. Whenever I think I'm close to wrapping up, I get a barrage of new quests. Starting to feel like a chore. I've been overpowered for around 40% of the playthrough by now. I keep hearing the voice of Irenicus in my head... "must I be interrupted at every turn?!". Looking forward to the end dungeon though, bet it'll be great.

Making final preparations to go to what I assume will be the end dungeon. One question:

I've received provisions from these people. But I think I'm missing something, because the "Rainy Day Stash" achievement doesn't unlock, and the journal hasn't updated. Do you know of anyone else we can get provisions from?
  • Helga (tavernkeeper, harbor)
  • Knut (woodcutter, harbor)
  • Bevin (beekeeper camp)
  • Zachary (fisherman, Sailor's Retreat)
  • Tomas (dark paladine brewer)
  • Slager (butcher in town)
  • Odgar (smith in town)
  • Ernesto (winemaker in town)
  • Tengral (church of Innos)
  • Rita (vineyard)
  • Valerio brother (vineyard)
  • Helmud (charcoal burner)
  • Bastian (innkeeper Silbach)
  • Dima (Araxos stall)
Viktor, Ezekiel, Runar, Pablo/Rupert

• Already spoke with Viktor, that only triggered the dog quest. Maybe you're thinking of Bastian?
  • Already spoke with Runar, no new dialogue options (and I did do his quest).
  • I don't remember any Pablo. Do you know where he's at?
  • Forgot about Rupert. Got provisions from him now, thanks! Still not enough though.

Can you tell me where Rupert is? I used to be able to find him in Silbach at the tavern, but I haven't seen him in ages now. Searched the whole village but can't seem to find him.

He's in a house outside the western militia barracks gate, in town. He's working for the guy that's providing food for the milita. Just teleport to the Innos shrine and go a bit south.

Sloul

Savant
On the subject of save corruption did you guys use Union? Because I started to get saves corruption after installing Union pluggins.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well I tried Returning, it actually looks neato, but the machine translation is just too much to bear and I don't know enough Russian. Seems that if you really want to get at any of the mods for Gothic you either need to know Cheeki, Potato, or Nazi.

Aconitum

Novice
On the subject of save corruption did you guys use Union? Because I started to get saves corruption after installing Union pluggins.
I've read somewhere that Union doesn't work well with mods that use Ikarus and LeGo scripts, but I don't know if that's the issue.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, I really want to play it again already, but I dunno if I want to sink another 100 hours into it. I'd definitely do the magic run this time since it seems to be deliberately set up for the second or third playthrough. My final stats:
UzMhj4d.png

I picked the mana bonus at the start because I thought I would be doing magic, big mistake. Also, turns out bows are just as OP in Archolos as they are in Gothic 2.
Also trying to get Gothic 3 set up because I haven't played it in ten years, trying to see if there are any decent mods at all. Did anyone ever do a proper translation of the questpacket and consequences or is it still third world english with google translate on top?

Mauman

Learned
Out of curiosity, is there any reason to

spare Becket

at the end of "Old Friends"? Does he show up again or something?

I picked the mana bonus at the start because I thought I would be doing magic, big mistake. Also, turns out bows are just as OP in Archolos as they are in Gothic 2.

I'm doing a mage/strength one-hander hybrid and it's working out rather well. I find the summons are the VIP's here.

My trusty snapper had gotten me through quite a bit of fights I don't think I should have had any right to get through. Cry of the Dead also helped me deal with swarms of bats and swamp bloat flies.

Looking forward to the bear though.

Even if I didn't plan on using much in the way of magic, I still think I'd take the first circle just for light for combat light, heal for more efficient healing, and the wolf for early fights.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
I am kinda of split on mods like Returning. For one I can play it with a good Czech translation(slav languages are basically all the same just switch the words or get sufficiently smashed) but I seriously dislike the way they bloat out the game. For example returning just overuses foliage to a point where I cant see shit on the ground and pop in becomes super obvious and when you turn down the amount of the foliage it just looks like shit because the clows changed the ground textures to just simple tiled dirt so roads and all the detail vanilla gothic 2 had is just gone. Same with factions, I like new additions and options but there is a limit to how much you can add before it becomes just obviously stupid. Like Xeres Returns has so many that basically every few steps you get a new faction to join but at the same time you are not really getting any benefits out of it since even if the factions have separate progression so if you choose to be a mage in one you are forced to be a mage in all of them. It just defeat the purpose of it all. Or Returnings survival mechanics which just feel stupid in a tiny Gothic 2 world. I mean it sound cool but then you realize that its basically Skyrim again and you are just pausing every few minutes to eat an apple because your character is apparently the chosen one of fucking Nurgle.

They have far too many minor annoyances for me to properly enjoy.

Danikas

Arcane
I am kinda of split on mods like Returning. For one I can play it with a good Czech translation(slav languages are basically all the same just switch the words or get sufficiently smashed) but I seriously dislike the way they bloat out the game. For example returning just overuses foliage to a point where I cant see shit on the ground and pop in becomes super obvious and when you turn down the amount of the foliage it just looks like shit because the clows changed the ground textures to just simple tiled dirt so roads and all the detail vanilla gothic 2 had is just gone.
L'hiver does the same shit and what a coincidence it's also a russian mod :lol:. Chronicles of Myrtana has great art design on the other hand and completely in line with vannila gothic 2 so the old textures and assets they use dont clash with the new ones.

gothic2screenshot2021s7j0l.png

gothic2screenshot2021l4jix.png
gothic2screenshot20215hjvc.png
gothic2screenshot2021cvkhw.png

gothic2screenshot2021tdkwd.png

gothic2screenshot2021jfj9o.png

gothic2screenshot2021s2kws.png
gothic2screenshot2021hhkfp.png

gothic2screenshot20218kk2w.png

gothic2screenshot2021t7jh9.png

gothic2screenshot2021rvju8.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom