Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Got triggered by something silly he saw and left the forum. Can't be bothered to check his last posts.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope Robert didn't spec into a Hobocop
Who could imagine that a guy who goes out dressed like this
dk9cKjpR_400x400.jpg

would turn into an unproductive mess?

Edit: I have since learned that this some some Estonian DJ named Robert Kõrvits who only kinda looks like the Estonian writer named Robert Kurvitz. He is apparently not his alter ego.

Last edited:

plem

Learned
I took fanta's advice and got Jamais Vu. There are many green orbs in the harbor so easy xp. Thanks.

I refused both communism and fascism, hoping there will be a choice for something in the middle. Based on some conversations, that would be MoralIntern, which I'll go with. My attributes are INT 6, PSY 4, FYS 1, MOT 1 so it's mostly about logic and empathy. The game has been very good so far. I'm not one for story-heavy games, but this one is written so well that it pulled me in from the start.

Joyce is one of the best characters so far, other than Kim, of course. Very much like Margaret Thatcher, with one big difference, she is more self-aware and empathetic. Which somehow makes her even more vile lol.
Screenshot-153.png

I really think moralism is the "right" choice in DE, despite what the developers' ideologies might be. it's the most charitably presented ideology.

for starters, far and away the most likeable and unambiguously good character in the game, Kim, is a moralist, whilst the ultraliberals have Joyce, communists have the Claires and fascists have, I guess, Measurehead, which are all demonstrably morally bankrupt people.

and then, whilst communism has Rhetorics as its spokesperson in your thoughts, implying it's all about using big words and tricks to convince people of your blatantly inconsistent ideas, moralism has Empathy instead, which implies moralism is about looking past all the rhetoric and ideology and just worrying about people.

furthermore, moralism is just the least delirious choice. being an ultraliberal as a broke cop from a third-world country is stupid and played for laughs, being a communist while walking through the literal ruins of communism and being constantly reminded of how it failed and will always fail is delusional, and being a fascist is obviously inconsistent with you being the walking examplar of degeneration and debauchery. being a moralist, however, just makes sense as the RCM is a moralist organization. not only that, while the other political paths have you talking about fighting for big, world-changing causes which you never get even slightly close to actually doing anything about, moralism is all about very small, incremental improvements which is actually closer to what you do in the game.

and also, Harry's obsession with Dolores Dei becomes more poignant if he's a moralist.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I feel like we played different games. If anything, moralism may be the least charitably depicted ideology. Kim is not a moralist - he says that he was one, and he deflects all political question (including from you, if you ask him if he's a moralist in the gay guy's house). Meanwhile the Sunday Friend, probably the most unsympathetic caricature of a person, is. Being a hobocop obsessed with the grind may seem strange on the surface, but what's actually delirious is supporting the faction and ideology that reduced Martinaise to its current state. Ultraliberal's vision quest actually gets you a shitload of money (at least, compared to your former status). Moralist quest accomplishes nothing, except show that Moralintern views you and the rest of Revachol as a bunch of insignificant ants - they're perfectly capable of resolving the game's conflict with ease, but they can't be bothered to do it. Because they do not give a shit.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are nice people who profess that they are communists. Deluded but still nice people.

We all know Moralism is "When Macron met Merkel Coming Through the Rye"

plem

Learned
I feel like we played different games. If anything, moralism may be the least charitably depicted ideology. Kim is not a moralist - he says that he was one, and he deflects all political question (including from you, if you ask him if he's a moralist in the gay guy's house). Meanwhile the Sunday Friend, probably the most unsympathetic caricature of a person, is. Being a hobocop obsessed with the grind may seem strange on the surface, but what's actually delirious is supporting the faction and ideology that reduced Martinaise to its current state. Ultraliberal's vision quest actually gets you a shitload of money (at least, compared to your former status). Moralist quest accomplishes nothing, except show that Moralintern views you and the rest of Revachol as a bunch of insignificant ants - they're perfectly capable of resolving the game's conflict with ease, but they can't be bothered to do it. Because they do not give a shit.

I'll concede that the sunday friend and he bombing of Revachol are points against moralism, but Kim definitely is a moralist. deflecting political questions is exactly what gets Harry moralist points, and Kim straight up prays at the altar of Dolores Dei.

and of course no ideology is presented as straightforwardly good, they're all flawed either in theory or pratice (or both, in the case of fascism). but comparatively speaking, moralism comes off as the closest to sensible.

Harthwain

Magister
I really think moralism is the "right" choice in DE, despite what the developers' ideologies might be. it's the most charitably presented ideology.
Not really...? Just look at the very idea of Moralism:

Finally! Something normal. Enough of those ramblings – in this world there is also a sensible ideology for people who simply want to do good by everyone. How? By looking at the options on the table and saying: no. I don’t want any of those associated with me. I just want to play a regular, inconsequential, doesn’t-really-believe-in-anything type of detective.

Well, you’re in luck! After the commies and the fascas tag teamed Revachol, sensible foreign nations with moderately deadly artillery came and levelled the city, put all the commies against a neutral wall and turned Revachol into a debt colony/financial buffer zone/whatever the hell they want it to be. They rule the world. And also the RCM, the law enforcement agency you’re part of, so really – it’s a no brainer.

Take this one, it would be weird to take any of the others.
The joke is that Moralism presents itself as better by using words such as "sensible", "moderately", "neutral" all the while committing rather unsavoury acts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/632470/view/3136194721924990376

Disco Elysium Patch Notes 11.01.2022

Disco Elysium Patch notes for version 61ad72b0 (viewable in the F1 menu, bottom right)
  • Tare issue fixed (tare earned 1 real instead of 10 cents)
  • The Great Innocence book bug fixed (That's why it pays to read the books!)
  • Authority Spotlight bug fixed
  • We fixed MacOS achievements!
  • Fixed an issue where dialogue overlay images would disappear when switching languages.
Take care and stay safe folks! Remember to report bugs here.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
fantadomat AwesomeButton I actually like PrimeJunta and almost met him IRL once when he was in Denmark (unfortunately scheduling was bungled), but the guy clearly had anger management issues on the boards and this place's worst sides got to him. He was prime troll bait as well. His IRL mood was affected by shouting matches here, especially with Codexers who he otherwise respected (like Darth Roxor). In the end I think he self-ejected primarily because the cost to his mental health wasn't worth the benefits. He's still on Steam regularly so we talk once in a while. Good dude

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I took fanta's advice and got Jamais Vu. There are many green orbs in the harbor so easy xp. Thanks.

I refused both communism and fascism, hoping there will be a choice for something in the middle. Based on some conversations, that would be MoralIntern, which I'll go with. My attributes are INT 6, PSY 4, FYS 1, MOT 1 so it's mostly about logic and empathy. The game has been very good so far. I'm not one for story-heavy games, but this one is written so well that it pulled me in from the start.

Joyce is one of the best characters so far, other than Kim, of course. Very much like Margaret Thatcher, with one big difference, she is more self-aware and empathetic. Which somehow makes her even more vile lol.
Screenshot-153.png

for starters, far and away the most likeable and unambiguously good character in the game, Kim, is a moralist, whilst the ultraliberals have Joyce, communists have the Claires and fascists have, I guess, Measurehead, which are all demonstrably morally bankrupt people.

and then, whilst communism has Rhetorics as its spokesperson in your thoughts, implying it's all about using big words and tricks to convince people of your blatantly inconsistent ideas, moralism has Empathy instead, which implies moralism is about looking past all the rhetoric and ideology and just worrying about people.

furthermore, moralism is just the least delirious choice. being an ultraliberal as a broke cop from a third-world country is stupid and played for laughs, being a communist while walking through the literal ruins of communism and being constantly reminded of how it failed and will always fail is delusional, and being a fascist is obviously inconsistent with you being the walking examplar of degeneration and debauchery. being a moralist, however, just makes sense as the RCM is a moralist organization. not only that, while the other political paths have you talking about fighting for big, world-changing causes which you never get even slightly close to actually doing anything about, moralism is all about very small, incremental improvements which is actually closer to what you do in the game.

and also, Harry's obsession with Dolores Dei becomes more poignant if he's a moralist.

I get what you're saying, but my absolutely insane supercop electro-chemistry playthrough felt like the one the game judged *the least*. While it's certainly made clear that Harry is self-deluding to some extend with this outlook it's also the perspective that allows the most honest moments of self-expression, especially when it comes to DISCO BABY, which after all is what the game is really about ;)

So I think there's an argument to be made that supercop is the "right" choice. It's certainly one I'd recommend everyone play at least once.

Also, as a centrist myself the game is at its absolute most hilarious when crapping on centrism. While it's kind of hilarious that a game about the nostalgic folly of ideology is absolutely most critical about pragmatic non-ideology, the writing really does shine when poking fun at centrism and social democratism. I guess it takes a scandinavian to know centrism intimately enough to chastise it this well :D

jackofshadows

Magister

I get what you're saying, but my absolutely insane supercop electro-chemistry playthrough felt like the one the game judged *the least*. While it's certainly made clear that Harry is self-deluding to some extend with this outlook it's also the perspective that allows the most honest moments of self-expression, especially when it comes to DISCO BABY, which after all is what the game is really about ;)

So I think there's an argument to be made that supercop is the "right" choice. It's certainly one I'd recommend everyone play at least once.

Also, as a centrist myself the game is at its absolute most hilarious when crapping on centrism. While it's kind of hilarious that a game about the nostalgic folly of ideology is absolutely most critical about pragmatic non-ideology, the writing really does shine when poking fun at centrism and social democratism. I guess it takes a scandinavian to know centrism intimately enough to chastise it this well :D
Well, technically that choice don't connected to the game's political compass but yeah if there's one "right" choice in DE it would be tendency to DISCO in all its ramifications. The descriptions of substance use alone worth a great deal. Reminder that roleplaying a good boi will result in the "boring cop" rep note.

And I certainly agree on poking at centrism. Being a centrist, I was half-consciously delaying all the compass advancements and laughing at them "invitations" but then I saw that the game won't stop on that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For all the awesomeness of the supercop playstyle I was actually kind of underwhelmed by electrochemistry specifically. The opening use where you lick off drug-remains from a table surface in the bar boded very well for the hilarity to come, but it's kind of underutilized after that.

vota DC

Augur
Got triggered by something silly he saw and left the forum. Can't be bothered to check his last posts.
Or the lack of It. There isn't a single video or screenshot where someome managed to save Prime Junta from evil commies and help to restore monarchy!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat AwesomeButton I actually like PrimeJunta and almost met him IRL once when he was in Denmark (unfortunately scheduling was bungled), but the guy clearly had anger management issues on the boards and this place's worst sides got to him. He was prime troll bait as well. His IRL mood was affected by shouting matches here, especially with Codexers who he otherwise respected (like Darth Roxor). In the end I think he self-ejected primarily because the cost to his mental health wasn't worth the benefits. He's still on Steam regularly so we talk once in a while. Good dude
Yeah,he was pretty nice company,tho i just ignored when they ended up in shouting match. He also does enjoys a good rpg,shame that he had to leave because of his weakness. But yeah,people should let internet shit interfere with their real life.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I've also valued his thoughts in general, and he usually had a different perspective than the typical, and the Codex-typical. It's a loss for the community. But I've always thought this place should remain as the Internet the way I remember it as a kid - a bunch of anonymous people pulling each others' leg. Where does the magic go if we behave like our normal selves, or take each other seriously. It's better off being a Venetian masked ball.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've also valued his thoughts in general, and he usually had a different perspective than the typical, and the Codex-typical. It's a loss for the community. But I've always thought this place should remain as the Internet the way I remember it as a kid - a bunch of anonymous people pulling each others' leg. Where does the magic go if we behave like our normal selves, or take each other seriously. It's better off being a Venetian masked ball.
Generally speaking sure,but after a few years here we already know each other. There is the random passer by once in a while. It is a shame when decent chaps decide to fuck off for one or another reason. Would rather have lilura and prime cunta in here than people that only screech about politics.

Harthwain

Magister
They just haven't realized it yet, that politics is a superficial hobby, while discussing RPGs requres real erudition :lol:
I find it funny that Disco encourages discussions about politics, but because you're talking about politics in the game such discussions tend to have higher profile than the usual low-level shit people spout when discussing real-life politics (which are all about one's individual views and not much more) as you're required to know the source material more in order to be able to sensibly participate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom