Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with layered equipment systems

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really like layered equipment. It lets you play dressup with your character and you get so many more potential enchanted items to equip (looking at you, Morrowind - stacking enchanted robes, shirt, pants, skirt, cuirass, left pauldron, right pauldron, greaves, belt etc to get 100% magic resistance in total). It adds a lot more equipment variety and therefore also makes exploration more rewarding because it increases the chance that whatever you find will be useful to you.

The oldest game I'm aware of that has a layered equipment system is The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall. You can wear clothes underneath armor, and armor pieces are split into pauldrons, greaves and cuirass.

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind expands upon the system by adding a couple more slots, including splitting gauntlets into left and right, and adding robes as a third layer above clothing and armor. Counting all the different equipment slots, including jewelry, we have a total of 16 slots. Sadly, future TES games abandoned the system and severely reduced equipment slots. Oblivion removed the ability to wear clothing and armor together and merged pauldrons and cuirasses, while Skyrim went even further and merged greaves and cuirasses too. Decline.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a layered armor system. It has a cloth layer, chain layer, plate layer, and outer cloth layer for a total of four layers on the chest alone! It even has layers for your head, with a chain coif underneath your helmet. Cool.

Exanima, the turboautistic simulationist RPG that will never be finished, has a layered armor system too where you can wear cloth underneath chain and plate.

Project Zomboid has layered clothing and even has a proper damage model by which the outer layer is damaged first. You have underwear, shirts, jackets, bulletproof vests... and when a zombie attacks you, his attack will first have to tear a hole into the armored vest, then the jacket, then the shirt, before it can scratch your skin. It even has different types of shirts, pants and skirts with different lengths: a short-sleeved shirt won't cover your lower arms but a long-sleeved one will.

Neo Scavenger has not only a layered clothing system but also structures its inventory around that. You only get inventory slots if your clothes have pockets, or you're wearing a backpack! You can wear 3 shirts at once and have a jacket over them, too. And cargo pants are the best pants because of their big pockets.

Dwarf Fortress, obviously, because it's the most turboautistic game ever made. Lots of different clothing and armor slots, and locational damage down to each individual finger.

Are there any other RPGs with layered equipment systems? Sadly, most of them go for the boring generic "1 chest slot, 1 head slot, 1 legs slot, gauntlets and boots and that's it lol".

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rage of Mages, that russian RTS/RPG hybrid thing from the late 90s has a layered armour system.

You can wear mail under plate armour and coifs under helmets etc.

Saduj

Arcane
Kenshi has slots for head, shirt, pants, boots and armor. Every item covers a % of different areas of the body. The chance that armor mitigates damage to a hit in a given area is based on the coverage %. So, for example, it is possible that character's legs will be 40% protected by boots, 100% protected by pants and 60% protected by an overcoat.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead does this, sort of like Project Zomboid. Tons of options, you can layer clothing however you like, clothing can be damaged, and you can wear all sorts of crazy things. But in this case there are many, many more options, including medieval armor, and with a mod, fantasy and sci-fi armors.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Yeah, CataclysmDDA is the ultimate system for this. Includes an encumbrance system for different body parts, how hot/cold your various body parts are, damage protection of course, an optional system for how dirty your clothes are (and they can be washed through various means), whether your clothes are wet/damaged (and different amounts of damage)/reinforced/modded in different ways etc.

J1M

Arcane
Would be interesting to see this expanded on more. With different enhancements prominent on each layer.

In a sci-fi setting you could even have exosuit and hardsuit customizations that only come into play in certain environments.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Siege of Avalon

SS0AA1B002.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dragon's Dogma has slots for Torso Clothing, Leg Clothing, Torso Armor, Leg Armor, Arm Armor, Head Armor, and Cape, which allows for both matched sets and more creative combinations.

Someone's PC wearing Iron Headgear, Iron Manicae, Iron Lorica, Chainmail Skirt, Gambeson, and Braided Hosen:
Light_iron_armor_set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a full set of Gryphic armor (Helm, Cloak, Armor, Gauntlets, and Greaves):
Gryphic_Armor_Set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a Clerical Cap, Knight's Mantle, Grand Surcoat, Navy Leather Gloves, and Fine Over-Knee Boots:
Grand_surcoat_armor_set_-003.jpg

The NPC Ophis wears a Lady's Corset, Striker's Greaves, Assailant's Bracers, Sultry Pareo, Dragon Band, and Alchemickal Cloak:
OPHIS.png

Someone's PC wearing a full Scholar's set (Cape, Coat, Bangle, and Boots) with Circlet, Linen Shirt, and Cotton Hosen:
Scholar%27s_set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a Cyclops Veil, Feral Cape, Scale Coat, Hard Leather Plate, Scale Armguard, Twisted Leathers, and Scale Greaves:
Barbarian-012.jpg

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Like others said, CDDA is the ultimate game for all your sartorial needs.
68747470733a2f2f662e636c6f75642e6769746875622e636f6d2f6173736574732f343431323137312f313234303336372f62623661646432342d326130612d313165332d383636612d6632653736656634633138332e706e67

Recent Pathfinder: WotR has a shirt slot.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I don't give a fuck about loot wankery and dressup games. Time to abstract the shit out of inventory systems, Conquistador style.

expeditions-conquistador-800x600-1.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
Unreal World

You can wear specifically underclothes. Then cotton clothes, then leather, then finally fur. Normally that would heat you to death but in the middle of Finnland winter, they are necessary.

Even so due to extremities (feet, hands) cant get that much layers, they still get frostbitten every now and then and need immediate treatments.

One advantage is that a rich player like that can fight without worry unless get a RNG hit to the eyes. Though an intense fight can still make them tattered piece of clothings afterward.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also several different kinds of jewellery. Amulet, rings, bracelets. (It also makes more sense to have magic attack/defense stats on jewellery, and keep physical to armor.)

The point about it giving more options for loot is a good one. The fewer the options for things to find, the more the temptation is to have loot with only tiny increments, whereas if you have lots of pieces, you can have quite big increments on a piece. It's a psychological trick in a way (because it might only make a tiny percentage difference to the whole defence), but it works very well.

Thinks: I guess developers don't do it because it's a lot of work to create more bits and to balance them all? But surely that's an area where the work you have to put in isn't particularly difficult programming work, most of the onus is on artists, and you get a good ROI from it in terms of player stickiness and enthusiasm? But I suppose that means you can only do it if you have a big art team.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
JarlFrank

Not a RPG but Battle Brothers + Legends went all-in into the layers gimmick, not my favorite part because early on, it sucks and i usually play shorter campaign and prefer to hunt for named weapons rather than named pieces of garbage layers for armors.

A torso armor can be upgraded with 5 additional layers of armor, a bit less for helmets and none for the legs since BB mercs are all double amputee cripples.

Black Angel

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

One of the best "dress-ups" RPGs.

Dragon's Dogma has slots for Torso Clothing, Leg Clothing, Torso Armor, Leg Armor, Arm Armor, Head Armor, and Cape, which allows for both matched sets and more creative combinations.

Someone's PC wearing Iron Headgear, Iron Manicae, Iron Lorica, Chainmail Skirt, Gambeson, and Braided Hosen:
Light_iron_armor_set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a full set of Gryphic armor (Helm, Cloak, Armor, Gauntlets, and Greaves):
Gryphic_Armor_Set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a Clerical Cap, Knight's Mantle, Grand Surcoat, Navy Leather Gloves, and Fine Over-Knee Boots:

The NPC Ophis wears a Lady's Corset, Striker's Greaves, Assailant's Bracers, Sultry Pareo, Dragon Band, and Alchemickal Cloak:
OPHIS.png

Someone's PC wearing a full Scholar's set (Cape, Coat, Bangle, and Boots) with Circlet, Linen Shirt, and Cotton Hosen:
Scholar%27s_set.jpg

Someone's PC wearing a Cyclops Veil, Feral Cape, Scale Coat, Hard Leather Plate, Scale Armguard, Twisted Leathers, and Scale Greaves:
Barbarian-012.jpg
This. I'd even go as far as say that they have more drips than Fashion Souls™

jackofshadows

Magister
Fallout 4 unironically.
Except that's barely an RPG. I could list The Long Dark then, it has character skills/development, kek. And it has bunch of cloth/armor layers, game takes into account a lot: how wet and in what condition cloth pieces are, some have more sturdiness which useful against wild life (but make running harder), some better wind protection, some are better resist to snow/wetness and of course, the summ of them define overall cold protection. Unprotected limbs freeze as well.
C8DC47AC194D338484C27E11F7C1F71C05D22141

Interesting that the whole idea of additional layer was suggested by someone from the community during EA - like imagine you're freezing to death and cannot wear the second pants just because?

Zanzoken

Arcane
Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a layered armor system. It has a cloth layer, chain layer, plate layer, and outer cloth layer for a total of four layers on the chest alone! It even has layers for your head, with a chain coif underneath your helmet. Cool.

Generally I don't find loot / itemization to be all that interesting in CRPGs, but acquiring a proper set of armor in KCD was one of those moments that was very memorable for me.

H6VHdFs.png
I am pretty sensitive to the way characters are styled in games and find it rather annoying when I can't put together a set of clothes / armor that is both functional and stylish.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Generally I don't find loot / itemization to be all that interesting in CRPGs, but acquiring a proper set of armor in KCD was one of those moments that was very memorable for me.

H6VHdFs.png
I am pretty sensitive to the way characters are styled in games and find it rather annoying when I can't put together a set of clothes / armor that is both functional and stylish.

I really liked how early/mid game KCD captured the feel of being a poor man at arms with scavenged armour pieces. Then as you progressed you generally got a more matched and stylish set of armour as a wealthier knight or man at arms may have possessed.

There are a fair few accounts from the hundred years war of both English and French men at arms with extremely mismatched sets of armour they looted from battlefields, so it was quite a realistic experience.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If I remember correctly, Knights of Legend had layered equipment system, but not a very good game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Light_iron_armor_set.jpg

Gryphic_Armor_Set.jpg

OPHIS.png

Scholar%27s_set.jpg

Barbarian-012.jpg
I rate this post

Absolutely civilized.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom