Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Holy hell. The bandits in the starting forest make a sound that is fucking obnoxious and enervating. Are the sound effects this bad for the whole game? I'm seriously considering turning the game down just for this. Jesus Christ.

That's the most beautiful song in the world and I never tire of hearing the same refrain over and over again. Where else can you get a game where the opponents entertain you with shanty drinking songs while they beat your ass?

Naharcito

Novice
Holy hell. The bandits in the starting forest make a sound that is fucking obnoxious and enervating. Are the sound effects this bad for the whole game? I'm seriously considering turning the game down just for this. Jesus Christ.

That's the most beautiful song in the world and I never tire of hearing the same refrain over and over again. Where else can you get a game where the opponents entertain you with shanty drinking songs while they beat your ass?
I didn't even knew that screak was a song.

welly321

Scholar
Ok im officially stuck and dont want to read a walkthrough. Can anyone give me a hint on where to find a key for the door in vault of the exemplar after killing the samhain horror?

Dorateen

Arcane
You don't find the key, but have to solve a multi-step puzzle in order to acquire the key. It is difficult to give more details without venturing into heavy spoiler territory. This involves having the necessary items, referring to clues in the game and taking the required steps to solve the riddle.

welly321

Scholar
You don't find the key, but have to solve a multi-step puzzle in order to acquire the key. It is difficult to give more details without venturing into heavy spoiler territory. This involves having the necessary items, referring to clues in the game and taking the required steps to solve the riddle.
thanks I ended up looking at a walkthrough. I never would of solved that stupid puzzle in the museum of magic without looking it up.

treborSux

Arcane
How do you invoke wearable items? I have a ring of polymorph and ring of protection that both have charges that I don't know what they do. I tried USE in every possible situation, in and out of battle. Once an item is equipped, using it doesn't even seem to be an option. The most that happens for me when an item is unequipped is "X invokes Y: Nothing happens". Do you need a high invocation skill for this to work?

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
They should have a spell in them and work just the same as the resurrection items. And yeah, the invocation skill probably needs to be high enough for it to work.

welly321

Scholar
I've explored everywhere I could in the Snark but im still only at like 70% map completion and I had detect secret up the whole time. I got the tuning fork but Im not sure where to use it. Is there anything else important on this stupid ship?

Also I let Admiral Boondoggle go but now I found out from some mermaid he might have a helmet I need? How do I get that?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I've explored everywhere I could in the Snark but im still only at like 70% map completion and I had detect secret up the whole time. I got the tuning fork but Im not sure where to use it. Is there anything else important on this stupid ship?

Also I let Admiral Boondoggle go but now I found out from some mermaid he might have a helmet I need? How do I get that?

The tuning fork lets you free the fairy in Pierre's cabin.

988859B6C15C3E91BC92D47FF43BDB3EBA4D49B3

4ABB59234CF42374F2FAE629D8ABA0BDE4BF80C9

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1107532654
As to where Boondoggle shows up if you let him go, I have no idea. Maybe Waterport.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Does SPD affects only the attack queue, or the usage of the items, e.g instruments, as well?

My multiclassed bard is sitting on ~75 unused skill poinits and I have no idea whether to pump it into speed, or rather some other skills (dunno which ones - probably some STR, since she's feyfolk).

If SPD doesn't affect both spellcasting (like in Wiz 8) and invocation/instruments, then I guess it's useless for bard?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Cleve said that with enough speed, spells can be cast before melee attacks, so it probably applies to instruments too. But if your melee people are fast too, probably not.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I bought this for 1 dollar. Does that make me a bad guy or a good guy?

It makes you a guy too broke to afford it when it came out. Only millennials pretend to agonize over their every decision as if somebody, somewhere, somehow cared.

That leaves you with another two dollars for living expenses this month. Spend it wisely.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve said that with enough speed, spells can be cast before melee attacks, so it probably applies to instruments too. But if your melee people are fast too, probably not.

Points are initially awarded based on the type of attack and then speed is factored in on top of that score. Spellcasters regularly begin to act first when they get speed up to 80. At least in testing.

I might fudge those values around a little more towards speed in the final Grimoire release.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Right now I have several chars with SPD from 75 to 93 (bard) - so far I see absolutely no coherence in who is acting first, all seems random, or perhaps I'm too dumb to see the pattern.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Right now I have several chars with SPD from 75 to 93 (bard) - so far I see absolutely no coherence in who is acting first, all seems random, or perhaps I'm too dumb to see the pattern.

There is also a degree of randomness such that sometimes even fast party members only complete their spells late.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom