Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MENACE - sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Battle Brothers devs

Visperas

Augur
I have faith in these guys but I want to know the setting!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
When you think about it "tactical" may mean that player controls units in platoon or company level.
We really have preciously little to speculate with.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When you think about it "tactical" may mean that player controls units in platoon or company level.
We really have preciously little to speculate with.

On the contrary, there's nothing to speculate about, when there's enough info.
But the good sign is that they make clear distinction between strategic and tactical layers.
Many devs seem to not know the difference.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
it's an rpg because wizard guy has stats

I said RPG elements, just play with Legends + magic origins, or even Legends + magic origins + AC_mod (Accessoiry Companions) + Stronghold (build your own stronghold, possibly adding a port and extra roads).
It's still not a RPG but Legends adds a lot of QoL like turn it in (can turn most quests in the closest aligned city) and extra functionalities, including more weapons and enemies.
Also PTR (perk tree reworked) for even more perks.

And they're all compatible, PTR will even be included in Legends soon.

It's still only a Tacticool + sandbox game.

And I hope this game is going to be an alien hunting one, not just a NuXcom clone but an alternate evolution from UFO.

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah, it's a temptation for the artist to get carried away and blow the budget on minute details that the brain will start ignoring after a few hours anyway. BB had great art direction so I hope they will know better than that.
Indeed. They did show they have good heads on their shoulders so I am not too worried about that at the moment. We shall see where this will go.

Nobody mentioned the lack of the term "RPG" in the game's description. I wonder if that remains the case when it's formally announced.

Menace might just be a codename.
I wouldn't rule out the game having RPG elements, but without having the whole game labelled as such.

So instead of Battle Brothers 2 we gef a sci fi nu xcom like. Damn it all.
It's too early for Battle Brothers 2 anyway. But we could be getting a spiritual successor to Jagged Alliance.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
it's an rpg because wizard guy has stats

I said RPG elements, just play with Legends + magic origins, or even Legends + magic origins + AC_mod (Accessoiry Companions) + Stronghold (build your own stronghold, possibly adding a port and extra roads).
It's still not a RPG but Legends adds a lot of QoL like turn it in (can turn most quests in the closest aligned city) and extra functionalities, including more weapons and enemies.
Also PTR (perk tree reworked) for even more perks.

And they're all compatible, PTR will even be included in Legends soon.

It's still only a Tacticool + sandbox game.

And I hope this game is going to be an alien hunting one, not just a NuXcom clone but an alternate evolution from UFO.

i was making a joke

Vincente

Arbiter
Battle Brothers was never a RPG
header.jpg

Well the devs themselves say its an RPG, it has role play options, perks for building your character, it has choices, it has texts... What makes this game not an RPG in your opinion?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What makes this game not an RPG in your opinion?
It is essential for an RPG that you are a tangible character in the game world that has actual influence on what's happening.
In Battle Brothers, I'd argue that you are not.

A few times, you are mentioned as "the commander" (which is the only pro-argument I can think of).
But you don't even have a name.
You have no representation on the battlefield or the game world.
You have no stats (this should be a dead giveaway, really).
You (as in, your character) have no influence on the core gameplay aspect, combat.
You couldn't even say you are roleplaying a group of people akin to blobbers, for example, as all characters are fully replaceable cannon fodder. You couldn't care less for everyone to die, it's just a monetary (and time-investment) setback.
There's just not enough tangible here to turn it into an RPG. Having stats is not enough or every game would be one, same with decisions that influence the game world.

The devs are simply wrong about the game being an RPG. I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. Although it does have some RPG elements.

And you could argue that the game mode where you actually ARE a character (forgot the name) and it's game over when you die - that one does turn it into an RPG as it resolves all issues above.
Coincidentally, that's also the most fun game mode...

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What makes this game not an RPG in your opinion?
It is essential for an RPG that you are a tangible character in the game world that has actual influence on what's happening.
In Battle Brothers, I'd argue that you are not.

A few times, you are mentioned as "the commander" (which is the only pro-argument I can think of).
But you don't even have a name.
You have no representation on the battlefield or the game world.
You have no stats (this should be a dead giveaway, really).
You (as in, your character) have no influence on the core gameplay aspect, combat.
You couldn't even say you are roleplaying a group of people akin to blobbers, for example, as all characters are fully replaceable cannon fodder. You couldn't care less for everyone to die, it's just a monetary (and time-investment) setback.
There's just not enough tangible here to turn it into an RPG. Having stats is not enough or every game would be one, same with decisions that influence the game world.

The devs are simply wrong about the game being an RPG. I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. Although it does have some RPG elements.

And you could argue that the game mode where you actually ARE a character (forgot the name) and it's game over when you die - that one does turn it into an RPG as it resolves all issues above.
Coincidentally, that's also the most fun game mode...

I'm inclined to agree that Battle Brothers could use a more fleshed-out commander character.

Play lone wolf.

Lone Wolf is my favorite start, but it's very clear that even though you have a "player character," the game treats it like any other merc. Even the random events sometimes get it mixed up, and you find yourself talking to your player character.

I think I had to discipline myself a few times too.

:shredder:

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Only 1 million budget thougjh?

You would think they would get more, given how successful BB was.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Philosophical claptrap. So it would suddenly be an RPG if they changed the text boxes to refer to the current longest-surviving merc instead of "you"?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Your "character" is your merc company, not some single peasant. And even then Gizelher Sniper Doggo often had more personality than all wrathfinder fag companions combined because his story is his actual deeds, not some lines in bio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom