Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games did you complete in 2021?

Falksi

Arcane
Streets of Rage 4 :2/5:: Beat it in an afternoon with my brother. He and I are huge Streets of Rage 2 fans. Glad I played it for nostalgia reasons, but was easy and quick. Can't recommend.
Grand Theft Auto V :2/5:: Just end this series already. The heists were a great idea, but the (attempted) humor and gameplay are feeling stale. Took me 3 weeks to get through.
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain :2/5: This game pissed me off. It started out as a nice, solid MGS game, but then it became quickly apparent that it was an unfinished game with tons of filler. But it was a good learning experience. I learned not to trust customer ratings for AAA titles, because newb gamers are fucking retarded and don't know any better. Beat it in a week or two. People who think this was better on par with MSG 3 or 4 are just wrong. Nice graphics though and launching unconscious dudes via balloon was a hoot.

Soul Caliber IV :1/5:: Piss easy. Jank controls. I'm not sure why this series has fans if this is considered one of the better games. Beat in a couple of hours.

I also played a few hours of the Outer Worlds, but boy that game was shit. I stopped that nonsense after only the first world. :1/5:

Whole post is a good one, but this section here really sums up my thoughts of a few games which I either finished quickly or ditched. Glad I didn't see the ditched ones through to the end.

SOR4 was a joke with the difficulty. I finished the story mode on the first playthrough continuing only once, then tried the new unlocked "Arcade Mode". Then that warning pops up, something like "You only get ONE credit! Are you ready for the arcade experience?!?", I was like "fuckinghell, here we go, Story mode was obviously training and this is gonna hand me my arse now". Finished it first playthrough again.

Not a bad game, but a huge disappointment.

Saints Row replaced GTA for me a long time ago.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
  • NFS: Heat - Best Need for Speed since Hot Pursuit 2012. The last few have been a real let down, so this was such a joy. Played tons of multiplayer with my brother too
  • Portal 2 co-op - I completed the single player years ago and I'd forgotten how good the game really is. I wound up going back to the main game after the co-op for a bit. Great fun
  • Walking Dead: The Final Season - I replayed through all the rest leading into this (3 definitely the worst, 2 the best). I spent the first couple of hours considering refunding, but it gradually improved and I found the ending very satisfying. Some great twists.
  • Enderal: Forgotten Stories - Total conversion mod for Skyrim, and it tells a much better story, but in the end it's still made in skyrim so the gameplay is definitely lacking. Liked it enough to put about 60 hours into completing it, but I wouldn't go back
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Loved it. The kingdom management system seems kind of broken, but it still defintely adds to the experience. Everyone seems to hate the bard gmome who chronicles your adventures, but i thought she was quite charming. I can see me playing this again at some point
  • Grim Dawn - Mostly played it muted with my own music on. It seems really well done, but the types of games never pull me in much
  • Farcry 5 - I was surprised by the quality of the story and was kind of bummed out when it ended. I was surprised by how well the system worked in a town as opposed to a jungle or whatever
  • RAGE 2 - Definitely improved on RAGE. Not much else to say. I enjoyed it.
Those are all I can remember off the top of my head, and it may well be the whole list as I spent a lot more time reading than usual last year

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not that many.

1. F.E.A.R. :5/5::4/5:
2. F.E.A.R. : Extraction Point :5/5::3/5:
3. F.E.A.R. : Perseus Mandate :5/5::2/5:
4. Fable :5/5::2/5:
5. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System :5/5::2/5:
6. Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1 :5/5::3/5:
7. Norwood Suite :5/5::3/5:
8. Cyberpunk 2077 :5/5::1/5:
9. The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game :5/5::1/5:
10. Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard :5/5::1/5:
11. Demons Age :3/5::0/5:
12. Geneforge 5 :5/5::3/5:
13. Yakuza 5 :5/5::5/5:
14. Pokemon White 2 :5/5::2/5:
15. Astro's Playroom :5/5::2/5:
16. Bugsnax :5/5::2/5:
17. Dungeon Siege II :5/5::2/5:
18. Maquette :5/5::0/5:
19. XIII :5/5::1/5:
20. Dungeon Rats :5/5::4/5:
21. Concrete Genie :5/5::1/5:
22. Final Fantasy VII Remake :5/5::1/5:
23. Metro 2033 Redux :5/5::3/5:
24. Front Mission 3 :5/5::5/5:
25. God of War (2018) :5/5::3/5:
26. Metro Last Light Redux :5/5::3/5:
27. Suikoden III :5/5::4/5:
28. Digital Devil Saga 2 :5/5::4/5:
29. Ball in the Hole :5/5::0/5:
30. Syberia II :5/5::2/5:
31. Avernum 4 :5/5::3/5:
32. Biomutant :5/5::1/5:
33. World End Economica episode 2 :5/5::2/5:
34. Maneater :5/5::2/5:
35. Albion :5/5::4/5:
36. Way of the Samurai 3 :5/5::4/5:
37. RIME :5/5::2/5:
38. Life is Strange :5/5::2/5:
39. Lords of Xulima :5/5::3/5:
40. Realms of Arkania 1: Blade of Destiny :5/5::4/5:
41. Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail :5/5::4/5:
42. Realms of Arkania 3: Shadows over Riva :5/5::3/5:
43. A.D. 2044 :1/5::0/5:
44. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 :5/5::2/5:
45. A2Be – A Science Fiction Narrative :1/5::0/5:
46. VA-11 Hall A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action :5/5::2/5:
47. Unparallel :5/5::0/5:
48. Don't Give Up: A Cynical Tale :4/5::0/5:
49. Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars :5/5::1/5:
50. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs :4/5::0/5:
51. Dungeon Encounters :5/5::3/5:
52. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter :5/5::3/5:
53. Co-Open :3/5::0/5:
54. FreeSpace 2 :5/5::4/5:
55. Detroit: Become Human :5/5::1/5:
56. Mortal Kombat X :5/5::2/5:
57. Knights of the Chalice II :5/5::5/5:
58. Football Puzzle Champions
59. Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Completed
Distraint :1/5: - walking sim.
Forest, the :2/5: - walking sim, nice style. Too edgy for me.

Dropped
Disco Elysium :2/5: - Tried it again.
Grim Dawn :2/5: - Diablo clone.
Iron Marines :2/5: - Kingdom Rush clone, same devs. Original is better.
Loop Hero :3/5: - nice little roguelike, gets old fast. Might look good on mobile.
Skyhill :0/5: - You don't want to know.
Sunless Sea :1/5: - Space Rangers clone. Good writing, weak gameplay. Just like Cultist Sim.
Tyranny :2/5: - Dropped after first act. Bad writing, meaningless C&C.
Xenonauts :2/5: - weak X-COM remake. The drive is gone.

Didn't complete
Black Book :4/5: - Deck-builder, very nice style. Might be :5/5:
Lovecraft Untold Stories :4/5: - mindless roguelike action.
X-COM openxcom, xpiratez mod :4/5: - The mods bring back cool in tacticool. Might be :5/5:

Can't be completed
Crusader Kings 2 :5/5: - Sims for boys.
Door Kickers Action Squad :5/5: - Ideal for a lighthearted coop, run&gun while talking with a buddy about life.
Factorio :5/5:
Kenshi :3/5: - great world design, but the game itself is early beta grade. High lethality is catchy. I built myself a city and don't plan to return to it.
Shadow Empire (no rating) - Very nice wargame, still in beta (horribly unbalanced, retarded UI, some mechanics aren't working).
Timberborn (no rating) - City builder in beta. Nice design, no gameplay yet.
TW Medieval 2 + TATW + Divide & Conquer :5/5: - Almost finished Isengard playthrough. The balance is great (player expansion creates new threats, you're always challenged with some enemy; units feel right; you're always tight in money), lore is maintained (as far as possible for TW adaptation). The mod is infinitely better than vanilla; it's on par with Europa Barbarorum for RTW.

DemonKing

Arcane
Completed:

Hitman 1-3
Solasta
Quake + Expansions (thank you Gamepass)
Dusk
Deathloop
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ghost of Tsushima expansion
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Shadow Tactics DLC
Death's Door
Dishonored Death of the Outsider

Also tons started but not yet finished - Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Metro Exodus, Mass Effect Remastered Trilogy, Wildermyth, Halo Infinite, Age of Empires IV etc etc

kangaxx

Arbiter
I didn't finish many games in 2021. Certainly not a vintage year:

Pathfinder Kingmaker - enjoyable but made artificially long by some baffling choices on the 'trash mob' front in certain dungeons. People moan too much about the difficulty, but there are some strange design choices in that game.
The Forgotten City - dogshit. Barely even qualifies as a game. Finished in about 2h and GOG still refunded it (based).
Unforeseen Incidents - piss easy and very short, but worth playing if you enjoy the old puzzle classics.
System Shock 2 - always complete it once a year.
Dishonored 2 - ok I suppose. Some fun levels. Some appallingly bad levels.
Played a load of EU4 and finished several campaigns... my protestant Mexico run being a highlight.

On my 'to do' list:
- Wrath of the Righteous... stopped about 60h in because I had massive burnout.
- New Hitman if it comes out on Steam
- Weird West if it ever comes out
- Deus Ex Revision. Still have yet to play this.
- Probably waste a load more time on EU4 because not much else is grabbing me

Ezekiel

Arcane
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Shit. Playthrough took two or three years.
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Crushing replay, which is even more popamole, since you have to wait more frequently for your health to replenish. On Hard, you can run around much more. One of the better games in the series, though. Didn't hammer the characterization so hard at the expense of the adventure, like the bad/mediocre Uncharted 3 and 4, probably thanks to having different directors. Shooting mechanics are improved from the PS3 games, but the camera is far too close when aiming. The stealth is bad. It's so forced. I was at the APC for four or five hours. Lots of trial and error there. The climbing sections are still insulting, but the puzzles are a bit better.
Ico (second time)
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - Good.
Sly 2 - Better.
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - I wish the Tomb Raider games were still more like this.
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Bloodborne (second time)
Super Mario 3D World
Gravity Rush 2 - Playthrough took three years. Worse than the first game in every way. What I dislike most is the largely tedious mission design, including an abundance of stealth missions (with mechanics that aren't that well suited to stealth), and the added abilities, which aren't as fun as the core mechanics brought over from the first game. It also lacked the atmosphere of the original. Ultimately, what made the sequel inferior was more money.
The Last Guardian - Started in June 2018 and finished the same save file in May 2021. Glad I gave it another chance. Weakest of Ueda's trilogy, but still better than most of the other games I played on PS4. Sony will never produce anything like it again, which is also part of the reason I'll never get another PlayStation.
Celeste - Good platforming.
Half-Life: Alyx - Nice proof of concept. Still wouldn't buy a VR setup.
Jet Set Radio (100% again)
New Super Luigi U
Tetris (NES)

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Supraland 2021-01-01 :5/5:
Amazing first-person puzzle fantasy, constantly challenging, so frustrating at times and so rewarding.

Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders 2021-01-03 :3/5:
Steam review
Easy adventure-type detective game with no roadblocks, yet it kept my attention using secondary reward mechanics. Nice.

Paradise Killer 2021-01-14 :5/5::5/5:
Steam review
Unforgettable, nostalgic low-budget science fiction detective game. Bizarre and beautifully realized setting and cast. Clunky art and a world packed with filler collectibles do not detract from the joy of gathering clues, interrogating suspects, and solving the many mysteries surrounding a horrific murder. Tons of player agency. Game can be completed at any time once you feel you have enough evidence, with many possible end states depending on who you accuse and what you can prove.

The Darkside Detective 2021-02-16 :2/5:
Steam review
One-note comedy adventure, mostly too easy except for some real idiot moon logic solutions. Nice art, music, and QOL mechanics.

Highrise Heroes: Word Challenge 2021-03-20 :4/5:
Steam review
Solid word puzzle gameplay with many creative variations on the basic mechanics that keep you thinking in new ways, all wrapped in a good enough disaster story.

Ashwalkers 2021-04-16 :3/5:
Steam review
Very beautiful CYOA-type game with lots of different conflict resolutions and light but engaging survival mechanics. 34 different endings. I played through once (under 2 hours) and got my money's worth, but haven't felt compelled to replay for a different ending.

Lacuna 2021-06-08 :5/5:
Steam review
Outstanding detective game with unique solution mechanics and high stakes decision-making. Several different endings with vastly different outcomes.

Murder by Numbers 2021-06-11 :4/5:
Steam review
Picross puzzles. Picross puzzles, picross puzzles, picross puzzles, framed within a linear but enjoyable detective story with a likeable protagonist.

Zombo Buster Rising 2021-07-20 :2/5:
Click the buttons, shoot the zombies. Decent enough time filler. Forgettable.

Lucifer Within Us 2021-08-26 :5/5:
Steam review
Another great detective game with strong, unique mechanics. This time the hook is gathering evidence to create timelines, and reenacting stories side by side to reveal the contradictions. The timelines are updated as new evidence emerges! Also every piece of evidence can be indexed against every other piece of evidence, with a thoughtful response every time. (No "you can't do that here" when things don't fit.) This dense layering of interaction makes this possibly the deepest detective game ever. Sadly this cuts both ways as the result is a woefully short experience. Suspect everyone, accuse everyone, and get more evidence until you can finally prove means, motive, and opportunity. Don't miss this.

Warpips (Early Access, Major difficulty) 2021-09-05 :4/5:
Fun and addictive "tug of war" game with no direct control over units. Build up your tiny army, balance economic development vs. unit training vs. boots on the ground, wind them up and watch them go. I'm still playing this constantly whenever I need a break from work, TV, or other games. Gotta beat General difficulty!

Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot: The First Cases 2021-11-10 :3/5:
Steam review
Good if overlong detective story without much to recommend it in terms of mechanics. The player must match ideas together in the "mind map" to progress in the story but there is only a single, totally linear route through the game. Good story, good atmosphere, good voice acting except the main character's fake accent is embarrassing. Worth your time to play if you're interested in this type of thing. Mediocre compared to the other detective games I finished in 2021.

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I started looking at my yearly list and... I have never finished as many games as I did last year, 42 in total. Hory shitto. Thanks Covid-19 I suppose. There were a few real timesinks in there, but I did also play a lot of shorter games. Some off-the-top-of-my-head ratings and random impressions.
  • Antharion - :2/5: - There was potential for a good 10h game. And then that was stretched to all hell. Oh well.
  • Aviary Attorney - :3/5:
  • Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut - :2/5: - Utterly amateurish trite from a "professional" studio once again.
  • Beautiful Desolation - :3/5: - I hope the next game from the bros improves on the gameplay and UX aspects, but setting-wise this was unlike anything I've seen before.
  • Binary Domain - :3/5: - I'd kinda dig more of good and plain fun 3rd person shooters like this and Vanquish.
  • Blasphemous - :3/5:
  • Blood Knights - :1/5:
  • Brigador: Up-Armored Edition - :3/5:
  • Catherine Classic - :3/5:
  • Chroma Squad - :3/5:
  • Death's Gambit: Afterlife - :2/5:
  • Deponia Doomsday - :3/5:
  • Disgaea PC - :3/5:
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 - :2/5: - They just keep getting worse.
  • E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy - :3/5:
  • Epistory - Typing Chronicles - :3/5:
  • Final Fantasy X-2 - :3/5:
  • Gray Matter - :3/5:
  • Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure - :3/5: - :hug:
  • Hellpoint - :3/5:
  • Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok - :4/5: - I've never really played King's Quests or their ilk, but this was just excellent and I had a lot of fun with it.
  • Hollow Knight - :5/5: - Easily the most :love:-game of the year. And probably the best Metroidvania I've played so far.
  • Immortal Planet - :3/5:
  • Immortal Redneck - :3/5:
  • Insomnia: The Ark - :2/5: - I'd be interested in another game within the setting. I don't think they will ever be able to fix this mess though, it would require way more than just fixing bugs.
  • Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition - :3/5:
  • Legends of Eisenwald: Bastard - :2/5:
  • Monsterland - :3/5:
  • Odallus: The Dark Call - :3/5:
  • Paradise Killer - :3/5: - I was initially turned off by the art that felt extremely woke'y tbh. Glad I did play though, since the setting was interesting, even though the gameplay did not completely deliver in my opinion. The soundtrack has also become pretty irregularly regular listening for me.
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium - :3/5:
  • Project Warlock - :3/5:
  • Tacoma - :1/5: - What's the fucking point of these kind of games. I dun get it.
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - :5/5: - I felt conflicted about a lot of things during playing this (both gameplay and story-wise), but still an amazing finale for the Erebonia arc.
  • The Surge 2 - :4/5: - This was the first game I had to completely turn to potato graphics settings on my computer. Not sure why, since I don't think it was that cutting edge graphics -wise. Anyhoo, enjoyed it at least as much as the first Surge, maybe even more.
  • Tokyo Xanadu eX+ - :3/5:
  • Tower of Time - :2/5:
  • Trine - :3/5:
  • Undertale - :4/5: - :shittydog:
  • Yakuza 0 - :4/5:
  • Ys 2 - :3/5:
  • Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection - :3/5:

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Loop Hero :2/5:
Meh, interesting for a few hours

Divinity: Original Sin 2 :4/5:
First time I played it, liked it a lot more than I expected (from hearing people shitting on it)

Rimworld :5/5:
Come back to it from time to time, with 20 mods it is pretty awesome

Europa Universalis IV :4/5:
Another one I play from time to time

orcinator

Liturgist
Uhh okay let's go through the torrents again.
Cruelty Squad
The hot new Mario 64 Delta Force shooter that all the Sam Hyde enthusiasts are talking about. Bataille/10

Severed Steel
Slowmo wallrun shooter with some FEAR aesthetics. Wish it was about dodging bullets and not about making sure you keep moving to maintain invincibility. Play on the herder difficulties so you actually have to use the mechanics. Alright/10

Intravenous
Hotline miami with actual stealth. Suffers from the hotline miami 2 problem of practically requiring you to beat most levels by camping a spot and shooting all the dudes who investigate the noise. Some guy on twitter got mad at it because it's about killing criminals. It's not bad I guess/10

Doom Eternal Ancient Gods
Piratable at last. More of the same "one step forward with more and faster demons, one step back with easymode dodge and infinite ammo" gameplay of the base game. Final boss was shit, rest was okay.

The Ascent
Isometrict cyuberpunk shooter. Western devs please stop copying Alien Shooter and copy Neo Contra. bad/10

Resident Evil Village
Just give up on the First Person perspective. Suck/10 (geddit because there was a vampire with big boobs)

The Citadel
You ever see that webm with the slide? Yeah so this turned out to be anime girl brutal doom. Make of that what you will/10

Kenshi
Weaboo katanas in a weird desert world. Gets extremely boring once you start making money and realize there's not much to the game besides grinding. Wish it was a mountain blade mod/10

Necromunda Hired Gun
What happens when Frenchmen make a game based on someone describing NuDoom to them. EYE was a meme game/10

Sir You Are Being Hunted
I don't remember why I decided to beat it after dropping it years ago. Shitindie/10

Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
Should have worked on my warhammer dolls instead. Youtube/10

Huntdown
Kinda janky euro-run-n-gun with really nice sprites and endearingly bad voiceacting. Alright/10

Hollow Knight
The rooms are TOO BIG, TOO BIG! Enhancing all the good and the bad about the metroidvania genre/10

The Suffering
That old game about shooting your way out of a prison overrun by monsters, only starts being a survival horror once you get bored of shooting enemies. PS2 era mediocrity/10

Butcher
that edgy platform shooter where you're a non-reprogrammed terminator. Tiny sprites, very small, eyes hurt. Okay/10

Jupiter Hell
DOOMRL but 3d. Maybe I should have played that instead I dunno. Doom 3-esque lighting. Not bad, probably/10

I forgot to finish a bunch of good games like the Ninja Gaiden port and managed to avoid finishing some bad ones like Darkest Dungeon 2(technically I wasn't able to finish it since it only gives you the first boss in the early access).

2019's animes were better.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
with 20 mods it is pretty awesome
What mods do you like to use?

Copied my Rimworld mod list from the RimPy Mod Manager:

These are needed for many of the mods to work:

Harmony [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2009463077]
HugsLib [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818773962]
JecsTools [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932008009]

These are my favorites:

Armor Racks [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1875828205] - being able to quickly change into combat armor
Children, school and learning [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541438230] - colonists can have children and there is a school system
CM Color Coded Mood Bar [1.1+] [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2006605356] - to quickly see moods behind the colonist pictures
Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering - Forked [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1949064302]
FishIndustry [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=758810805] - fishing can be fun, especially on maps with little food
Hospitality [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=753498552] - one of my favorites, assign beds as hotel and get money for it. Also a great recruitment tool.
Map Reroll [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761315214] - when starting out, being able to reroll the map
Mass Graves [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1542386771] - very useful, 20 per grave instead of individual graves
Pick Up And Haul - Unoffical [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2009407891] - better pick up and haul mechanics
Quarry 1.1 [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2007576583] - love this one too, build quarries to mine for materials
Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850429707]
Realistic Rooms [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=848972794] - requires less space for colonists to be happy
Common Sense [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1561769193] - colonists do their work smarter
Stabilize [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2023407836] - stabilize dying people on the spot instead of a hospital, very useful
Simple sidearms [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927155256] - have a small sidearm and be able to switch in combat
Snap Out! [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1319782555] - chance to help colonists snap out of mental breakdowns
Sparkling Worlds - Full Mod [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1123043922] - glitterworld tech
Wall Light [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1423699208] - love the wall lights that do not take up space
Work Tab [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725219116] - my absolute favorite, assign priorities to each colonist's work type
Allow Tool [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485] - quickly allow everything on the map
Defensive Positions [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125] - assign defense positions and have them go there with one click
Research Tree [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1266570759] - better layout of the research tree
Rimsenal - Core [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725947920] - love the new weapons selection in this one

Optional:

advanced powergeneration v1 [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1426296659] - more powerplant types
Rimsenal - Enhanced Vanilla Pack [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=849231601] - even more new weapons
Rimsenal - Federation Faction Pack [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736172213] - new faction and new gear
Rimsenal - Feral Faction Pack [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736207111] - new faction and new gear
Rimsenal - Storyteller pack [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725952322]
Rimsenal - Security pack [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736139206]
Vanilla Apparel Expanded [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1814987817]
Vanilla Furniture Expanded [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1718190143]
Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Medical Module [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1718191613]
Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Production [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1880253632]
Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Security [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1845154007]
VGP Vegetable Garden [https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2007061826]

Arcks

Educated
Ones in bold are replays.

5/5

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (Fucking twice.)
Persona 5 Royal
Shin Megami Tensei V
Sid Meier's Civilization VI

4/5

ATOM RPG Trudograd
Blaster Master Zero 3
Bravely Default II
Cyberpunk 2077
Dead State
Doom Eternal
Ion Fury
Metroid Dread
Necromunda: Hired Gun
Resident Evil Village
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Super Mario Galaxy
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Void Bastards
Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

3/5

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Amid Evil
Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
Batman Returns
Bulletstorm
Dual Orb II
Elderborn
Evil Dead: Regeneration
Ghostrunner
Humankind
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North
Mega Man Star Force 2
My Friend Pedro
Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai
Panzer Corps Grand Campaign '39
Panzer Corps Grand Campaign '40
Panzer Corps Grand Campaign '41
Panzer Corps Grand Campaign '42

Partisans 1941
Ratchet & Clank
Saviors of Sapphire Wings
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage
Spy Hunter
Sunset Overdrive
Super Robot Wars 30
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
The Hong Kong Massacre
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector

2/5

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Final Fight: Streetwise
Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Disco Elysium - Enjoyable but not really what I'm looking for in an RPG. Mechanically PST without the trash combat.
Because all combat is trash in PST.

And, uh... shit, is that it? I started and dropped a whole lot of games, the longest affair was probably Kingmaker, which I put a good 20 hours into.

Edit: I remember now! NWN Shadows of Undrentide. Thinking back on it, there's probably a good reason I forgot about it. Played like a decently competent module made by a modder, with the same problems: the fact that the underlying systems of NWN are just not fun.

Last edited:

Gumsmith

Educated
Damn...What did I finish in 2021? Fortunate for me that Steam keeps track of what I've played otherwise this list would be much shorter.

Ashes 2063 (Doom 2 mod) :5/5: Cool post-apocalypse mod with high quality assets. Quite fun but it turned out that standard difficulty is not very difficult, would've been a better idea to have gone one notch higher.

Clone Drone in the Danger Zone :5/5: Cheap game about robots-humans fighting robot robots. I bought it for some fun arcade gameplay and got exactly that.

Synthetik:Legion Rising :4/5: Cheap game about robots-humans fighting robot robots. Once the game gets going it's a real rush of the kind I much enjoy: bullets flying, dashing everywhere and spraying lead down range. Only 4 trolls as I find the V-reality level to be annoying and RNG weapons occasionally means I can't get any I actually like from time to time.

Risk of Rain 2 :4/5: 3D Rogue-lite shooter. Unlike other Rogue-lites I've played whether you win or lose seems to be determined 70% by player strategy and planning and 30% pattern recognition and reflexes which means I'm not so good at it, other games are more of a 50/50 balance. I like it though and I also enjoy Risk of Rain's melancholy kind of writing.

Monster Hunter: World :4/5: Monster Hunter is a specific kind of game that you either like or you don't. Fortunately I like it so it makes me happy. Having to pay money to edit your character is a bit shitty however.

We Were Here, We Were Here Too :4/5: Atmospheric, asymmetric puzzle games for 2 players. The gimmick is that the players need to communicate over a radio to solve puzzles, we used Steam's voice chat instead as it was more straightforward. The first two game's puzzles are not too complicated which is good for multiplayer I reckon, quite fun.

We Were Here Together :2/5: The third game has several pain-in-the-ass puzzles where 80% of the difficulty is trying to figure out how the puzzles actually work. Even using a guide it still takes some time to wrap your head around. Fun sometimes, a pain other times.

Inscryption :4/5: Story based rogue-lite card game kind of thing. Gently eases you into the mechanics which is nice as other card games throw you in the deep end in my experience. Being a rogue-lite the game is unbalanced by design and some people got annoyed by where the story went. Personally I like it all quite a bit except near the end where the gameplay starts dragging on.

Max Payne :4/5: The game likes to keep you on your toes with ambushes aplenty and I like the silly comics. Good stuff. Would be 5 trolls but it's a bit buggy at times and the screaming baby levels are a pain.

Bad North :4/5: A simple rogue-lite RTS game. It's not deep or long but it's some nice fun while it lasts.

Warhammer: Vermintide 1 & 2 :4/5: Not much to say on this, my brother and I completed all the levels and had a nice time. The RNG drops are eh but don't detract too much and I enjoyed the atmosphere and the characters. We didn't stick around to play on ultra hardmode or whatever though.

Primordia :4/5: I played a few point & clicks this year though they aren't quite my thing, this one I liked. I didn't get stuck often which likely means the puzzles are on the easy side.

Magicka :4/5: Spam overpowered spells with friend(s), good fun.

Magicka 2 :3/5: You can no longer spam the overpowered spells, I disapprove. Still fun tho.

The Blackwell Bundle :3/5: Point & click games where a ghost and an introvert girl solve crimes after everyone involved has moved on except for the dead. I got stuck on puzzles because of completely missing something or other quite a few times which is meh. It's alright otherwise, I like the chatter between ghost and girl. The ending is depressing.

Control :3/5: The background lore is intriguing, the story is fucking boring and the gameplay fun enough to finish the game.

The Longing :3/5: Game where you must wait 400 days before you can wake up your stone king. Runs in the background and doesn't actually take 400 days to finish, more like 2-3 months. Is alright, all you do is check in on it every now and then, do some stuff, and then close the game and do something else. Profound philosophical revelations about the nature of time and boredom not included.

Noita :3/5: Another rogue-lite, in this one you're a 2D mage figure descending through caves, blowing stuff up and trying to make overpowered wands. There's arguably more content in the game that can be skipped than there is content that you need to go through to win, so there's a lot of incentive to look around. When the game gets going you're having a good time but it's very easy die and unlike some other games starting over fucking sucks, it makes me want to play something else rather than try again.

Unavowed :2/5: Supernatural point & click adventure game. The puzzles are easy, the gameplay tedious and a meh story with an unvoiced protagonist. I was engaged enough while playing it but I don't think it was worthwhile in the end.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I forgot to add some games, most of which were short:

Return of the Obra Dinn :5/5:: My favorite game of 2021. Short, but so fucking well done. Who knew playing an insurance agent could be this fun. A must play.
Disco Elysium :4/5:: Not a great RPG, but a solid adventure game that had me laughing out loud and hitting me emotionally at times, which isn't easy to do with this jaded heart.
No One Lives Forever :4/5:: A charming first person shooter where you play a hot British super spy in the vein of Ms. Peel from the Avengers. Lots of fun.
No One Lives Forever 2 :3/5:: More of the same from the first one, which reduces the charm a bit, but it comes with a graphical and UI upgrade.
Banner of the Maid :3/5:: I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem types of games despite their simplicty. This takes place in a cute, anime version of the French Revolution. Very niche, but worked for me. The big titties helped. Paulette is best girl.
Into the Breach :3/5:: From the guys who gave you FTL, this quick little game has you piloting mechs versus kaiju. Can be beaten in a few hours of play. Get it on discount.
West of Loathing :2/5:: I know the joke is that it's a janky RPG. It's still a janky RPG. Has some good elements and humor, but can't really recommend as there are much better games out there.
Torchlight 2 :2/5:: Took me 3 years to beat this by playing in chunks. Not because it was hard, but because it's just that dull. Finished just to get it to completion.

Games I would like to beat in 2022:
Well, I beat Like a Dragon last week. Great game.
Wasteland 2- Like Torchlight 2, I've been playing in chunks over the last 2-3 years. Doubt I'll have much positive to say.
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round: I liked 6, and this has jiggle physics. :oops:
Nioh and Nioh 2
Wasteland 3
Marvel's Spider-Man
Nier: Automata
Elite: Dangerous
Valkyria Chronicles 4

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really need to finally get Return of the Obra Dinn... It looks like such a weird game.

BruceVC

Magister
Great question, I had one of the best years for gaming because of the lockdowns and pandemic, its a pity I am not in front of my gaming rig because I played and completed many games this year and enjoyed them all so I will try to remember

• D:OS2 : 78/100 : Brilliant party based RPG with exciting combat
  • Morrowind : 70/100 : Elder Scrolls at its finest as far as the narrative is concerned
  • Operencia: Stolen Sun : 65\100 : Its a fun RPG with that classic grid based combat
  • Bard Tale 4 : 70\100 : Great combat and challenging puzzles
  • Assassins Creed Odyssey : 65\100 : As usual Ubisoft delivers on an immersive game world with lots of activities
  • Far Cry 4 : 65\100 : I liked it for the same reason I like AC
  • Sunless Sea : 60\100: Its the first RNG game I have played and found it very entertaining, especially the cannibalism and sacrificing my crew to the sea gods
  • Quest for Glory 4&5 : 60\100 : Iconic adventure games, whats not to like about QFG4 ( 5 was meh )

I know I have left out several games so I will update this list when I am back in Cape Town

I mentioned I would update my list once I could confirm what I played

• Disco Elysium : 58\100: Great writing and clever humor especially around SJ tropes. The one criticism I have is the theme wasnt fantasy
  • Control : 65/100 : Third person action adventure game with some exciting skills you learn and frenetic combat
  • Bioshock 1 Remastered : 65\100 : An entertaining FPS with an interesting world to explore and fascinating lore
  • Bioshock Infinite : 60\100 : I loved the overall narrative even if the combat was weak compared to Bioshock 1
  • Kingdom of Amalur: 55\100: Its a long action RPG which could have been great but somehow it didnt get their, I found the combat to be far too easy which is what detracted from my overall enjoyment

Modron

Arcane
I usually aim to complete 50 games a year but came up short due to full autisming Yakuza 3-6 this year

Asscreed Origins (too consistentaly tonally woke imo)
Atom RPG Trudograd (codex goty 2021)
Chasm
The Seventh Circle Endless Nightmare
Inferno Beyond the Seventh Circle
Encased (first half was great, second half was barebones after they obviously didn't get as much money from the EA as they were hoping)
Colony Ship (finished all the available stuff that is will go back when it's completed)
Dead Age 2
Flatout 2 (was 90 cents and money well spent)
Greedfall
Horizon Chase Turbo
Hover
Knights of the Chalice (bought and replayed it)
The Last Stand Legacy Collection
A Legionary's Life (awesome)
Lego GTA
My Time at Portia
Rising Storm Vietnam 2 (not technically completable but threw enough hours into it to say so)
A Short Hike
Shortest Trip to Earth
Stoneshard (another not technically completable but threw enough hours at affair)
Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
The Wind and Wilting Blossom
Yakuza 3-6
Farcry 3-5 (no bully)

Adventure Games
The Procession to Calvary (enjoyed it quite a bit)
Midnight Scenes the Nanny
Milo and the Magpies
The Samaritan Paradox
Samorost 1-3
Shadows of the Vatican 1-2 (meh)
Unforeseen Incidents
Void Breach

Last edited:

Mustawd

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood :3/5:

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne :3/5:

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
2_5.gif

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY :4/5:

18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker :1/5:

Grandia II: Anniversary Edition :3/5:

Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)
2_5.gif

Valkyria Chronicles :4/5:

Portal
2_5.gif

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition :4/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom