Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
??
Grieving Widow is a Cipher. Are you asking if Cipher is meant to be like a rogue?
I mean I have no idea how to use her efficiently. I know what a Cipher is, I just don't know if I should build her to try to use her stealth to get behind enemies, attack them from range or as a front line combatant.
I do know that how Cipher abilities work mechanically, I just don't know how to use her in particular because she doesn't seem that tough but she does have decent dex and gets a stealth bonus, which would imply a sneaky sort of character?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sagani is boring but reliable; she can stay at a safe distance and harass back line casters with her range. The Fox does die all the time which is a pity, but you're using her for her bow anyway.

What the hell are you two doing with her fox?
Are you charging with him headfirst, as your main party tank or something?
I hardly remember it ever getting defeated.
And neither should yours, if you keep him as your backline defender and flanker.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Sagani is boring but reliable; she can stay at a safe distance and harass back line casters with her range. The Fox does die all the time which is a pity, but you're using her for her bow anyway.

What the hell are you two doing with her fox?
Are you charging with him headfirst, as your main party tank or something?
I hardly remember it ever getting defeated.
And neither should yours, if you keep him as your backline defender and flanker.
It most certainly isn't the main party tank, I already have Eder for that. It is a flanker though.

Falksi

Arcane
Thought I'd give this one last go for the laugh this past week.

Still shit.

What's incredible is how much hard work they clearly put in to crafting some truly excellent elements for it, like the world vibe and slightly off-center but familiar base, only to flush all that down the shitter with awful decisions regards the basics.

The crazy-inconsistent mix of voice acting meshed with written sections is truly abhorrent. I've never known a modern game speak one section to you, then demand you read the next, then speak the next after that. Just WTF were they thinking?

dacencora

Tbh I kind of forgot that Sagani existed. I picked her up and then instantly dropped her.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tbh I kind of forgot that Sagani existed. I picked her up and then instantly dropped her.

Yeah I don't get people who praise her writing either. It's like PoE's companions are so bad, you gotta praise the ones who are merely inoffensive and kindda boring :D

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I think the only ones I actually liked were Durance and Pelegrina...Pleg...Bird Lady, but only because they were somewhat interesting to listen to.
The rest were dull.

Does anyone else think it's weird that Soldiers don't get an accuracy bonus for pole arms?
You'd think a halberd would be a soldier's weapon considering how historically its what they used and I'm assuming it's the same in the game's setting considering how it's inspired by the early modern period. I get that I can use pikes and it's a balance thing so that the soldier talent doesn't cover too many weapon classes, it's just a weird distinction.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The AI getting in the backline just forced me to turn everybody into a tank. Except Aloth because he has that ability that gives him that huge deflection bonus and he gets by like that. Plus that spell he has that charms and confuses mobs for a short duration is great for defence.

This is creating a bit of a problem because if i deck Durance with armor his casting gets even slower, but if i have him fight with his own armor he just peels enemies from the front line constantly.

Still, i guess it's better than the alternative (having the enemies just focus on your frontliners which would make the game a cakewalk).

dacencora

Not among the greatest companions of all time or anything but I found the following enjoyable enough to do their companion quests and exhaust their dialogue:
  • Eder
  • Aloth
  • Hiravias
  • Durance
  • Pallegina
  • Devil of Caroc

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The AI getting in the backline just forced me to turn everybody into a tank. Except Aloth because he has that ability that gives him that huge deflection bonus and he gets by like that. Plus that spell he has that charms and confuses mobs for a short duration is great for defence.

This is creating a bit of a problem because if i deck Durance with armor his casting gets even slower, but if i have him fight with his own armor he just peels enemies from the front line constantly.

Still, i guess it's better than the alternative (having the enemies just focus on your frontliners which would make the game a cakewalk).
That's an issue I had with Tyranny too; the enemy can just ignore your front line and go straight to you archers and casters. You pretty much need a taunt or some sort of way of drawing the enemy away. Which wouldn't be too bad, if the only true tank wasn't locked behind a faction.
In pillars though you do have a lot of summoning options, which can plug a hole in your back line.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Enchanting his robe and giving him some movement speed bonuses (resting with survival, talents, some items) can help with this some.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The crazy-inconsistent mix of voice acting meshed with written sections is truly abhorrent. I've never known a game speak one section to you, then demand you read the next

:hmmm:
Why'dja cut off the rest of the sentence? He's obviously referring to the unvoiced description text that interrupts voiced lines, which was a terrible mistake they acknowledged.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah that shit is super annoying. I assume the game was originally meant to be text only, right?

More proof that voiced dialog in games with such huge scripts is a cancer and fuck all the retards who scream for that shit. Learn to read, faggots.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The crazy-inconsistent mix of voice acting meshed with written sections is truly abhorrent. I've never known a game speak one section to you, then demand you read the next

Why'dja cut off the rest of the sentence? He's obviously referring to the unvoiced description text that interrupts voiced lines, which was a terrible mistake they acknowledged.

If they acknowledged it, why is it in Deadfire as well?

TedNugent

Arcane
She doesn't die instantly like the druid does. He does have some nice spells, its just when I use him he dies.

I can see druids being a powerful class, its just I'm not sure I like Hirvias's stats.
Hiravias was annoying, that's why I cut him.

Strongly considering nuking him in the in-game microwave.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
She doesn't die instantly like the druid does. He does have some nice spells, its just when I use him he dies.

I can see druids being a powerful class, its just I'm not sure I like Hirvias's stats.
Hiravias was annoying, that's why I cut him.

Strongly considering nuking him in the in-game microwave.
Yeah, I also found his voice acting and dialogue to be grating. Durance is an absolute ham but at least he's sort of fun to listen to.

Falksi

Arcane

If they acknowledged it, why is it in Deadfire as well?

Because they're silly cunts?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom