Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have beaten the first expansion for HoMMV, Hammers of fate. It was a cool expansion. I probably like it more than the main game. I have quite a few hours in Tribes of the East, and I like this one more than HoF. I like this this trend.

In Yakuza: Like A Dragon, I have been doing several side stories, and also moved up to the 40th richest company in the Management Mini game. I have a monkey, and a rogue cleaning robot as my board members. There's also a loyal hen in my company crew. I'm almost done with Dragon Kart. I need to move on with the story to do the last cup. All party members have joined me, so now I can mix and match the ones that I prefer. One priority has been to gain their maximum friendship levels. Most of them are maxed, just two left to go.

Drop Duck

Learned
I never understood why liminal spaces are always associated with swimming pools.
Not only are the tiles reminiscent of these locations you only ever pass through as deem said but it's also one of the places where it is the easiest to experience the shift from a lively place to an empty one. When they are active they are full of people and sounds that echo thanks to the water, splashes, children playing in the kid section. If you have ever gone swimming indoors in one of those bigger places late at night it's like entering another place entirely. The water having a still surface and the sounds you make fill the entire location. It's just like entering one of those mostly abandoned malls. The dimensions of the place only make sense when being in use by the amount of people it was built for. Then there is the process you go through, you change in the locker rooms, you shower and put on your swimming gear. Swimming pools are always transitional in this way, that only goes for those big places though or the ones at hotels, a swimming pool outside at your property is just not the same.

curds

Magister
Finished ToEE replay, started KotC replay. Still on that 3.5 kick.

KCWW this time as opposed to KKCW which I used in prior playthroughs. And I took scribe scroll this time around. Should be much easier.

Before I started KotC I tried the Keep on the Borderlands module for ToEE. To be frank, it didn't seem very good. May come back to it, though, if I get bored.

Might give Pillars another chance next.

Drop Duck

Learned
Liminal Explorer is a pretty cool and free game. You should check it out, since I wanted more of this sort of material I have been playing it. It's almost entirely about the atmosphere and there's less gameplay than in Liminal Ranger. Still worth downloading for free and playing.

https://tmdev.itch.io/liminalexplorer

ClMVBY.gif

Also found out someone had made a short film that gets some of the ideas across. It too descends into simple horror and that robs the concept of something important because it's supposed to not just be another siren head or anything like that.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah! There's a who video listing of Backroom levels and I wondered if any games were created to explore them all. I saw a few free itchio games on this.

Different playlists:

wikidot
Fandom
Booksie

Last edited:

No Great Name

Arcane
Slowly but surely making progress in the original Baldur's Gate after starting it a few months ago. It took a while since I tried to fully explore all of the areas I could before actually going to the city but I finally made it to the actual city of Baldur's Gate and finished the first go around of all of the areas. Before reaching the city, I had a lot more fun than I anticipated simply exploring all of the maps and clearing out the fog of war even if it was a bit aimless in the beginning. Now my party is level 5/6/7ish and are much more competent at hitting things so I'm more willing to take risks.

Yeoman

Educated
Revisiting Master of Magic
The Community Patch that comes with the Steam/GOG release is truly excellent, it fixes loads of bugs and greatly improves the AI and diplomacy. Furthermore, work is being done by some very dedicated people to add customization options in the game. You can actually configure the random map generator now and use lots of optional game rule mutators.

The customization features are not officially released yet, but you can download the patchers to apply them here and apply it on top of either the original 1.31 version or the latest Community Patch version.
https://masterofmagic.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Drake178/Key_Binder

I'm playing with neutral cities souped up in quantity and strength. Just trying to stay alive becomes an exciting challenge. I find it way more fun to deal with and conquer neutrals than build new settlements from the ground up.

I start with an Orcish town in a horn of a continent. This is a very defensible position against raids from neutral cities.
Their raids were frequent. By chance, the surrounding neutral cities are also Orcish. My units would not be better than theirs, trying to fight back by building my own army would just make me lose by attrition. Instead, I will have to rely on magic. My wizard, being focused in Nature magic, has access to summon Sprites, flying units that are fragile but have a decent magical ranged attack.

A hero soon joined my cause. He is a magic user who also has a magic ranged attack. After a few levels, his offensive capabilities will greatly surpass those of Sprites'.
With their help, I was able to capture the neighboring neutral town, which was only garrisoned by swordsmen. Though my infantry were outnumbered, using a barrage of magic attacks to soften up enemy units before having my infantry engage them proved to be an effective strategy.
The raids continue to intensify, the neighboring cities are now sending large waves of Shaman that outnumber my ranged magic units. I would not have stood a chance if I didn't have the Web spell, another very useful Nature spell that disables enemy units until they can destroy the web with their melee strength. This is most effective against ranged units that specialize in ranged attack rather than melee. My hero can assist me in combat by casting spells just like my wizard so I can actually cast two spells per turn.
My next target is this heavily fortified city. My Sprites and hero would not do well here because the city's walls greatly reduce the effectiveness of their magic bolts.
They wouldn't survive a turn anyway because the city is garrisoned full of Shaman who have their own magical attack.
My plan is to send an army of swordsmen. Without magic, they cannot hope to survive. However, my wizard's expertise in Nature magic gives her two spells that will be pivotal for this siege. Resist Elements will give my swordsmen some protection against magic ranged attacks, while Cracks Call will help me to bring down sections of their walls and allow me to defeat what few melee units they have.
Pre-enchanting units before going into battle costs more mana but will allow me to use my mana pool during combat for other spells.
The battle was more difficult than expected, Resist Elements was not as strong as I remembered it to be. And my taking too long to attack was probably also a factor, most of the enemy Shaman had already been trained to elite rank. By the end, I managed to capture the city only after losing three quarters of my veteran swordsmen.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dipped my toes in Fatum Betula. Not really sure what kind of game it is, not how the hell did I come across this thing, or why did I bought it.
It is a weird one. Seems to be lot of endings. Not really sure what to do, except exploring and trying to figure out shit. Nothing obvious. The dream-like atmosphere is the real star, if you can stomach the retro-3D it feels quite good strolling through this foreign land. Great audio. Manages to talk of death and despair in a non-macabre or gloomy way, what I always appreciate. Evokes some old memory of The Void somehow, or Off.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing THIS GAME, its surprisingly fun.

5YkNFPi.jpg
I have a similar app on my phone. Tried this one a few times. Got stuck at 1024 all five tries.
View attachment 22455
Just keep your biggest number at a corner and work from there
And then you are stuck, need to move in the opposite direction, and the game spawns a 2 in your corner
rating_rage.gif
Yeah, that one is a bit of a hump.

BruceVC

Magister
Just finished Bards Tale Trilogy : Tales of the Unknown after 70 hours and it was a great overall experience

I had to learn a few things as I am not that experienced with many CRPG and I really did appreciate the auto-map feature. Good game and I will be playing BT2&3 in the future :salute:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Whats a good RPG or tactical game to play on an Android phone?
Probably a port of some PC game, and it has to be turn based or slow, I can't play fast games on a touch screen.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whats a good RPG or tactical game to play on an Android phone?
Probably a port of some PC game, and it has to be turn based or slow, I can't play fast games on a touch screen.
Final Fantasy Tactics is an acceptable port.

Not exactly an rpg, but Deus Ex Go can be used as a time waster on commutes.

I have played this for a little bit:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AGAMA.Anority
Everything is a bit small for my eyes, but it's an option.

This seems okayish for a mobile game:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.WaveLightGames.LordsOfChaos

There's Star Trader Frontiers and Templar Battleforce by the Trese Brothers.

I feel like one has to look really hard to find some. Most often, you will find ports.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I am done with HoMMV and its expansions. I will play some other games before playing HoMMIV.

I have installed The last Remnant, and am now playing it for the first time on PC. The game is top notch turn-based goodness. I can't think of many games that uses a battle system like it.

I have also finally started The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos. I am staying out of the thread until I beat it. I want to go in completely blind. I thought the GOG version would be complicated to install, but it was pain free.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Championship Manager 01/02. Three players injured in the sixth minute versus Bayern Munich. Can't get worse than that, right? Wrong! In the 15th minute my goalie was sent off, and they got a penalty. Lost 3-0. My striker had to take over goalkeeping duties, because I had already made maximum subs.

Good times.
20220118_000234.jpg

Puukko

Arcane
Fresh off the heels of Project Wingman, Ace Combat Zero. This is probably the most obvious inspiration for that game. The visual style and controls, mostly, but the MC also gets a similar nickname.

It's probably the sharpest looking PS2 game I've played after the appropriate patches and some Reshade. However it is also fairly bland at times due to the low draw distance.

What's rad are the cutscenes played by real actors. The story is told after the fact like a history documentary and it changes depending on your actions, based on whether you spared targets and didn't cause unnecessary destruction. I've been a proper goody two shoes... until the terrorist organization appeared, that is. They're literally called "A world without borders" and include former allies as well. I couldn't help but grin when I simply neutralized one named pilot at first, who told his partner he'd retreat, and then I shot him down which caused her to freak out. I'm cashing in on my good boy points to down every single one of these fuckers.

Now, I won't claim the story is exactly believable, or that the dialogue is top notch. The dialogue could be lifted and put in a 90s war themed JRPG and it'd fit, but here it's being read out by characters with human faces which creates a disconnect. They just come across as very one dimensional after what I got used to in Project Wingman.

I'll definitely play it til the end though. I think that'll scratch my jet pilot itch for a while.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I have been playing Throne of Bhaal for Baldur's Gate 2 but my own personal preference against epic level campaigns and noticing a decline in other areas have lead to me dropping it. In the mean time I have been enjoying Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart. A free kart racing mod for Sonic Robo Blast 2 which in turn is a heavily modified Doom game. It can either be incredibly fun or frustrating beyond all reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom