Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How """Awesome""" Would it be if the >Insert RPG< Was Released Today?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I was playing one of my all time favourite games: 'Baldur's Gate' today, and instead of focussing on this negative stuff that people have been discussing these past years (some librul shit or something) I thought the Codex caould once again talk about all the great stuff it and any other great game did.

Like in BG1 you had this drow (a black babe) called Viconia, and she was smart, sexy, sassy, and one of the greatest members of your party that stayed with you throughout the trilogy. Her romance was probably the only romance in a game I thought was kinda good, and David Gaider should be kicked in the balls several times for how it ended.

The thing about racism came up once or twice, but in retrospect - not once - in BG2 where she was most prominent, did it detract from her character.

So: thank you Mr Gaider if you are reading this. I will always think more positively of your work than negatively of whatever shit you made (that I didn't play) after BG2.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I am not sure if the thread title has any relation to what you wrote above. What is this thread supposed to be about?

Shaki

Arbiter
Viconia romance was awful. You're right it was the best one in the game, but that's not really an accomplishment, considering the other options were shameless thirsty widow Jaheira and pedobait Aerie.

Overall, romances are a shitty addition that was never needed in RPGs, and BG2 caused a lot of decline in the genre by popularizing this degeneracy.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
, romances are a shitty addition that was never needed in RPGs

I disagree. I'm not saying in a game like BG. But in mount & blade for eg, marrying someone has a lot of political implications. Sadly in 99% of RPGs, romance and gameplay are too dissociated. Would be cool if a Villain kidnap your lover in a side quest, if romancing a elf would lead to part of her tribe wanting to hunt you down and part being indifferent, that type of stuff.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I disagree. I'm not saying in a game like BG. But in mount & blade for eg, marrying someone has a lot of political implications. Sadly in 99% of RPGs, romance and gameplay are too dissociated. Would be cool if a Villain kidnap your lover in a side quest, if romancing a elf would lead to part of her tribe wanting to hunt you down and part being indifferent, that type of stuff.

Half of the Witcher games (especially TW3) are spent chasing down your harem of hoes after they are kidnapped/run off into the woods to conduct some ritual/escape to another dimension. Pretty big part of the gameplay at least there.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Discussion of Viconia and Witcher romances I guess. And how awesome it would be if the games with these romances were released today.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
BG2 romances seem extra creepy because it involved a generic generated character who is a stand in for the player.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Things such as romances, voice acting, cinematic dialogue, etc., perfectly coincide with the beginning of decline after the RPG Renaissance. All of these features are shit and undesirable. Unsurprisingly, only people with poor taste like them.

Shaki

Arbiter

I'm cool with it when it's tied to gameplay in a meaningful way and makes sense. In M&B it's ok, same in Crusader Kings 2, which isn't exactly an RPG but features some RPG elements, marriage, eugenics and managing your offspring are some of the most important parts of the gameplay. But in BG-like cRPGs and in BG2 itself, it's mostly a cringy text-based dating sim disassociated from the rest of the game, that exist purely to satisfy people thirsty for that fictional booty, eg. degenerates.

Black Angel

Arcane
Strange OP aside, on topic as the title dictates, I remembered seeing a screenshot for a...disturbing scene, described through text as it would a combat log, dice rolls and all. It was a mod, or an expansion? for, I forgot, one of the Infinity Engine games, or even the Neverwinter Night games. What was it... A Dance with Rogues?

Whatever it was, oh boy, I'm sure the current timeline will explode with an outrage that rivals the energy of a billion suns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom