Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Front Mission series worth playing?

VonHoffenHeimer

Educated
Agreed, great pacing on FM3 and (i think) a fun story. Buildijg out the mech is fun without being overly complicated.

flyingjohn

Arcane
The fake internet in 3 is one of the most crazy extras in any game i have ever seen.
And for anybody interested there is the ds japan only exclusive borders of madness.You have several guides on gamefaq to help you.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The fake internet in 3 is one of the most crazy extras in any game i have ever seen.
And for anybody interested there is the ds japan only exclusive borders of madness.You have several guides on gamefaq to hep you.
Yeah, the amount of detail they put into the ingame internet is crazy, for something that was mostly optional.

Games back then, even AAA releases like Front mission, took more risks with crazy features like that, than we see in current mass market releases.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
FM1 is a fine SNES title, quite fun.
FM3 is an absolute classic with 70 missions. One of the best in the genre really.
FM4 isn't all THAT bad. The European part of the plot is "90s anime cliche", but the South American part with 3 guys running with former dictator's gold was decent enough.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Nobody ITT except me played FM2?

:smug:

IMO it's the second best FM after 3. Just skip like half of the "upgrades" (there are way too many "+1" ones) and you'll be fine.

lightbane

Arcane
I played it briefly to check if it works, but the fact the dialogues are not fully translated is a pain. I intend to complete it someday, I hope. Front Mission 5 also had an equivalent to the Internet, and so does the 2nd game, but I never touched these much.
FM5 is better than FM3 IMO in all except plot, which goes full anime... But, to be fair, the plot of FM3 is also unintentionally hilarious and crazy, such as starting a fight with mecha in the middle of the American Parliament during peace talks. Or helping the in-universe Chinese tyrant in one of the routes. Or even better: Aid the rebels against said tyrant, then ditch them at the moment they needed your help the most, because the protagonist is laser-focused on protecting his sister no matter what.:lol:

Duraframe300

Arcane
With the recent focus on PS1 translations I'm hoping someone takes another look at FM2.

Ace Combat 3 for example is getting a new translation soon. (The original release missed all the story and the first fan-translation was *incomplete* too)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I played it briefly to check if it works, but the fact the dialogues are not fully translated is a pain. I intend to complete it someday, I hope. Front Mission 5 also had an equivalent to the Internet, and so does the 2nd game, but I never touched these much.
FM5 is better than FM3 IMO in all except plot, which goes full anime... But, to be fair, the plot of FM3 is also unintentionally hilarious and crazy, such as starting a fight with mecha in the middle of the American Parliament during peace talks. Or helping the in-universe Chinese tyrant in one of the routes. Or even better: Aid the rebels against said tyrant, then ditch them at the moment they needed your help the most, because the protagonist is laser-focused on protecting his sister no matter what.
Out of all my favorite tactics RPGs I don't think any plot comes close to Tactics ogre, FFT started incredibly strong but fell apart towards the end.

It's a shame RPGs don't go heavy on politics drama these days. It makes for excellent characters, strong villains, great betrayals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom