Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
What are the chances of Sony following suit with Japanese companies? Their just lost future CoDs after losing future Bethesda games. Acquiring Square Enix would for example give them all their popular JRPG IPs plus few viable Eidos IPs like Tomb Raider.
Interchangeable lens cameras (specifically professional mirrorless ones) is the only market segment Sony is seeing real market leadership and growth. That's an increasingly shrinking market and camera behemoths Canon and Nikon are close on their heels. Sony doesn't have the capital to buy anyone.

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
After all these years, it was actually Microsoft that ended up killing the Lich King??

On a more serious note: Meh. What is really frightening is the monopolization done by Tencent and Microsoft(Embracer doesn't count since I can bet someone from these two will end up buying it in the next year or two). I don't really trust both of them, so it's a gloomy day for gaming. But then again most of these studios are known for their poppamole games, so not much of innovative and really interesting games we actually lost.

PS: Why is it that all members of the XBOX gaming group have their biological/natural pronouns? What is the point to include it if everyone has their natural/biological pronouns lol? Just catering to the 0.1%, that no one is even part of their group? I don't get it really.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
So long Bobby. Your time has passed.

Microsoft is the new Disney.

Hot take: it's fine, honestly. Corporate business bought up by another corporate business, at worst a sidegrade.

HeroMarine yes Bobby is gone as soon as the deal is done.

Also: Diablo Immortal is going to be cancelled. Doesn't fit into Microsoft's strategy and good grief it needs to be.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Like playing Baldur's Gate 2? Well, you posted something not very nice on a message board. We are removing your Windows Gaming rights. Now, since that is bound to the TPM of your computer, don't try creating another account. Also, all installations of software will be completed through the Microsoft Store, you no longer need (or will be able to) install your own software. Good luck getting a warez or unmolested version of VTmB on there.
There are no big budget games in 202X, which worth the hassle. So what if you lose the right to play Halo 12 or World of Warcraft 3? These games are like junk food, you eat them then forget about them. The fine meals are the indie games or AA games, which are not under the Microsoft umbrella. And you can still own those.
I'd counter that there is a push at MS towards the Apple model of application management and installation. Apps and games will only be available through the MS Store ie: Microsoft already has a Steam platform and will get their cut and input on those indie and AA games.

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
Didn't know a sinking ship was this expensive, isnt King and call of duty the only things of value there?

ADL

Prophet
Microsoft is now the Sauron of the video games industry. One company to rule them all.
eye-of-sauron-windows1-640x353.jpg
Just wait until Microsoft buys Embracer who already bought everyone else.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
From what I heard Gates instead of money offered to take them to loli island but they were already doing that on regular basis anyway so it didn't catch.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is the future, whether we like it or not. Nobody cares about owning a game anymore, just like nobody cares about owning movies, hence the rise of streaming services. And there are really no games which really worth owning, apart from a few indies. The old games which are worth owning are in our shelves/GOG libraries anyway, so I say let them bring the game pass services.

Strongly disagree: 10 years ago people were saying that every game would be a mobile game and while mobile games grew well for a time those pesky "core gamers" still exist and still buy proper games. 3 years later the same hype machine was saying that everything would be streamed but streaming doesn't work (for latency reasons) for the huge fraction of game genres. 3 years after that the idea was the individual games would be subscription services lasting forever - this was the plan for Anthem (and for Halo Infinite) but the cracks are already starting to show: these games aren't as successful as planned.

These are all just short-lived boardroom memes. Game Pass is a better idea than most of these previous ones and will be a big thing but the suggestion that it will utterly displace the existing way is a fantasy. They're just making the common mistake of assuming that the future will displace the past completely but that only happens for a very small number of innovations.

The Kindle exists but people still read normal books. That's just how it will be with Game Pass.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Not liking this,monopolies are never good and this wil be as good to a monopoly as it gets

I wonder what happened with anti-trust lawsuits. Microsoft and other companies were the subject of many in the 90s and early 00s, but now it's like "bah, who cares?". Allowed to acquire and expand without oversight.

Embrace, extend, extinguish.

Hobknobling

Learned
Not liking this,monopolies are never good and this wil be as good to a monopoly as it gets

I wonder what happened with anti-trust lawsuits. Microsoft and other companies were the subject of many in the 90s and early 00s, but now it's like "bah, who cares?". Allowed to acquire and expand without oversight.

Embrace, extend, extinguish.

Massive lobbying by tech giants. Also, there is no evidence that this has happened, but social media companies are so powerful that if some politician tried to push tighter anti-trust legislation, big tech could easily shadowban the entire campaign.

I also wager that Americans might be afraid of China and are resorting to "national champions" line of thinking (mistake). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_champions

PorkaMorka

Arcane
No. It's not positive. I'm guessing playing any game under the MS umbrella will require a game pass and XBox or Windows 11. Microsoft doesn't strangle acquisitions because they have time on their side. Unlike EA, they don't need to turn a quick profit. They can lose money. Shareholders do not buy shares of "Xbox" they buy shares of MS.

Don't like the purple haired raping your favorite IP? Well, so what. Every game can be shit as you won't be paying for individual games, you'll be paying month-to-month for all games on site or the "RPG Games" pass, which includes golden oldies for Retro Gamerz. There will eventually be a self appointed group at MS to clean up problematic content in older games, which will be done regardless of if you give a shit or not. They won't care: you can't impact their business model.

This sounds plausible.

But will it have a positive or negative effect on indie games?

Will it push people away from big name studios and spark more interest in indie games or will it make it too difficult for indie games get on a platform that people care about?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What are the chances of Sony following suit with Japanese companies? Their just lost future CoDs after losing future Bethesda games. Acquiring Square Enix would for example give them all their popular JRPG IPs plus few viable Eidos IPs like Tomb Raider.
Interchangeable lens cameras (specifically professional mirrorless ones) is the only market segment Sony is seeing real market leadership and growth. That's an increasingly shrinking market and camera behemoths Canon and Nikon are close on their heels. Sony doesn't have the capital to buy anyone.
On the other hand I think PlayStation will do just fine. No one buys Xbox outside of North America and a bit in the UK.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom