Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
A Paladin is a good choice if you're more into roleplaying, since you get some minor negative effects if you disregard what your Paladin order stands for. Gameplay wise the orders have only a minor impact, and Paladins have relatively few unique dialogues.

The opposite of that is the Cipher, which has quite a few bits and pieces that are unique dialogue wise. I'd also recommend to look at https://gist.github.com/fireundubh/49ac2a22516712145fbb280a1de8e978 to see the magnitude of other factors on dialogue choices.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Roguey: What does full voice acting have to do with it?

Your claim is that they realized that having descriptive text in between voiced lines was a massive mistake.

That makes no sense since there’s examples of that in Deadfire dialogue.

If you’re asking whether The Narrator voices all descriptive text, she does not.

And just like in the original game, it is written with desaturated colors meaning your brain learns to skip it entirely. They should have dropped the concept entirely after the first game.

Last edited:

TedNugent

Arcane
Moreover, I can't imagine playing this game without a Druid. My entire game plan revolves around Relentless Storm.

Exactly! Forget his "character," you can click past dialog. His spells are fucking brutal, and if you don't take him you have no other access to Druid spells unless you roll one yourself. Relentless Storm is insanely good.
Has it occurred to anyone yet that I can make a custom mercenary?

One that won't be annoying?

I can literally throw Hiravias into a pit and replace him with a generic NPC with custom stats. Why would I not do this unless I found some aspect of his character appealing?

In fact, if I really wanted to, I could make a party of 6 druids.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Your claim is that they realized that having descriptive text in between voiced lines was a massive mistake.

Unvoiced descriptive text that interrupts reading along to what's being voiced was the mistake.

If you’re asking whether The Narrator voices all descriptive text, she does not.

Informative. :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Unvoiced descriptive text that interrupts reading along to what's being voiced was the mistake.

I think the desaturated text is a mistake in all cases, but regardless, the part about cutting off voiced lines is still present. Which makes it kind of hard to believe they recognized the mistake.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Where's that Kana dude?

I'm on my way to Raedric and i think i could use the extra help.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ho shit, i totally forgot about Caed Nua lmao. Should i do Radreic first? I think going to Caed Nua triggers the second chapter right?

BTW, what the shit i'm in Easternwood and there's graves with retarded shit written on them. More dumbfuck backer content i'm seriously gonna find that mod that removes this crap.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ho, one question about mechanics. Is there a timer involved in finding secrets? Like, do i have to stand around for a bit, or do secrets pop up the second i go stealth (provided i have sufficent points in mechanics)?

Ulfhednar

Savant
Locating things in stealth mode is fairly instantaneous- I’ve never noticed much delay. I think spotting hidden containers is perception dependent.

Chapter 2 doesn’t start until after you meet Maerwald, and you can do Raedric’s afterwards, but it’s not much of a challenge once you’re past level 5.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You should do Raedric without Kana. Also, another one goes on the tab:
I'm going to keep tabs on how many of my recommendations LS ignores and then comes to complain about later.

The magical formula to enjoy PoE - skip ALL descriptive text in dialogue, skim through the dialogues just so you can get the gist of what is being said (nobody is saying anything important you can't check in the journal), don't click on golden NPCs, don't click on the tombstone symbols, take only the companion (singular) you like (if any), treat it as one massive dungeon crawl you play for the combat, you can safely skip the stronghold stuff (some adventures give good loot though, but that's a fire and forget thing), turn on disposition markings in dialogue, don't pay too much attention to the setting. Some optional things - put auto-pause on enemy sighting, put slow mode to activate automatically when entering combat, check the box to stop your characters from moving when you engage combat, auto-pause on discovering hidden things with mechanics.

For now, it's "don't click on the gold NPCs" and "don't pay too much attention to the setting". I'm going to add "don't obsess too much over character creation" to this list. I'm tempted to say he also ignored my recommendation to turn on disposition markings in dialogue and then complained about how they don't make sense. The setting is written in such a way that no matter what kind of person you are, except the kind where you passively consume media and accept everything wholesale, you are going to find major fault in the setting somewhere.
It's "don't click on the tombstone symbols" this time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i should do Raedric's first. I'm level 4 right now, and i only have Aloth, Eder and Durance.

None of them have a single point in stealth which means i'm going to have to kill everything, which is good 'cause i want lootz.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You don't need stealth to infiltrate the castle. Raedric's is one of the best maps in base game btw, so savor it while you can.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Shiiet just looted 3 full plate armors from the guards.

Imaging using stealth for this lmao.

I'm also reancting this right now on the second floor:

42ac264bb560a3dfee0e951749d38bfba30b008d.jpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Raedric's is great, and if you're using a great sword on anyone his weapon, Justice, is a very good early game unique. I think the only ones better are Tidefall and the Hours of St. Rumbalt. The former you need Mechanics +10 to find, plus kill a dragon, and Hours is expensive. It's a good sword for a while.

ETA: On my current playthrough I forgot all about his hold and didn't get to it until like level 8. I one-shotted him (literally) with my stealthed rogue and his trusty pistol.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Shit, a door i can't open. Now i'm getting bad OCD about what's in it.

Fuck it, i gotta go to bed i'll continue this shit tomorrow.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Been awhile so...
What's the trigger to get contact from Stalwart? I've got my keep, the other nobles have started their claim on it and I've been to Copper Lane in Defiance Bay.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Been awhile so...
What's the trigger to get contact from Stalwart? I've got my keep, the other nobles have started their claim on it and I've been to Copper Lane in Defiance Bay.
You have to finish the Temple of Woedica quest in Defiance Bay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom