Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Sierra back catalog...
sweatonmybrow.png

So now that Microsoft bought Activision Blizzard does this mean that they now owns the rights to Arcanum? And they've got Tim Cain! It would be interesting seeing a sequel for it after all these years, even though it will end up being undoubtedly decline.

Delterius

Arcane
Buying the husks of formerly innovative companies that haven't produced anything interesting in years sure isn't a good long-term strategy to own the market. Its easy to throw money around, look at how well EGS has worked to kill Steam, but to actually change something you need more than just money.
EGS doesn't have infinite money to burn, just lots of it. And they never tried to literally buy the entire industry, they just offered old style incentives for 2009 tier console war platform exclusivity. Such a model is a thing of the past. What Microsoft is doing is no different from investment funds who buy literally every house and apartment on the market on a premium to ensure a monopoly over the livelihoods of generations to come. Except that this might not even be a play towards monopoly after all. Maybe Microsoft just makes so much money from their 'hard earned' already monopoly status on personal computers, tax returns and subsidies that they simply need to buy themselves some treats from time to time. It's just another way to inflate stock prices.

DemonKing

Arcane
With the sexual harassment scandals the Activsion share price apparently dropped 40% this year which probably made it an attractive target for acquisition, although at $70 billion I did have to check if it was April Fool's Day or not when I woke up this morning.

Kotick will get one big final payday before he rides off into the sunset and dodges any responsibility for his company's woeful culture.

MS are definitely playing a different ball game to Sony at the moment. Playstation will either become a niche product living off its exclusives or eventually bow to the inevitable and let MS have an app on their platform. In any case, this will likely accelerate the movement of games to the cloud meaning we may not even have consoles in the near future just TV apps.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not liking this,monopolies are never good and this wil be as good to a monopoly as it gets

I wonder what happened with anti-trust lawsuits. Microsoft and other companies were the subject of many in the 90s and early 00s, but now it's like "bah, who cares?". Allowed to acquire and expand without oversight.

Embrace, extend, extinguish.

The anti-trust lawsuits were all about bringing rogue elements into the fold, so they wouldn't throw any unwelcome spanners into the works. "You pay us protection money, and we'll give you massive opportunities!"

Note how all of them bought into that game, and how they've benefitted since then.

Lizard

Learned
https://nichegamer.com/xbox-boss-wants-cross-platform-bans/
“Something I would love us to be able to do–this is a hard one as an industry–is when somebody gets banned in one of our networks, is there a way for us to ban them across other networks?” Spencer said.
“I’d love to be able to bring them to other networks where I play. So this is the group of people that I choose not to play with,” he said. “Because I don’t want to have to recreate that in every platform that I play video games on.”

Hey Valve do you still want us to release our games on your store? Fall in line.

Valve has been kowtowing too, but the urinalists act like they are doing nothing.

They have been projecting this for years.
https://www.wired.com/story/valve-steam-adl-white-supremacy-extremism/
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/9/18296864/gamer-gaming-white-supremacist-recruit
https://www.smh.com.au/business/con...-video-games-giant-steam-20190320-p515wr.html

I remember there being older ones too, they always come out in waves at around the same time. Just like with the gamers are dead articles. First they plant the idea, then push push push, force it and normalize it.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Wondering if Steam's Deck might in part be a reaction to fears of possible MSFT monopolization. From a post on WCCFTECh (https://wccftech.com/microsoft-activision-blizzard-games-on-playstation-xbox-exclusive/):

Bruce ReallyBigMistake2 hours ago

Sony doesn't have a clue. They have no idea who they are dealing with. They don't know about Embrace, Extend, Extinguish and their own people probably sold them out. They NEVER should have made their games Direct X on PC and should have made PS NOW run on alternative OS's.

MS has them by their balls. They are going to be reliant on DX versions, MS OS versions, locked into their walled guardian, locked into their servers. Then they will be extinguished. Gaben KNEW what MS was about, because Gaben worked there. He didn't panic and push for things like Vulkan API without reason. He knew what was eventually coming. It's worse than he could have imagined. MS has their hardware chips now being installed on third party CPU's from the same manufacturer that makes Sony's PS.

MS has multiple illegal monopolies in the works, this acquisition was fast tracked and evaded laws and they avoids fines due to government contracts and being the first to sell out to the PRISM program. Sony is finished. The choices from here on out is to die a slow death or a fast one.

DemonKing

Arcane
FJaeEBAWQAQvPoo

VS

housemarque_playstationHD-1920x1080.jpg

PS obviously can't compete with regards to the sheer number of studios it owns. Will be interesting to see how they respond. Losing CoD will be a huge blow to them as that will see a lot of casuals depart + a drop in PS+ subscribers paying for multiplayer access.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I don't even know what a quarter of the shit in those pictures are, so I guess AAA gaming has already declined enough for this to barely affect me. :?

FJaeEBAWQAQvPoo

VS

housemarque_playstationHD-1920x1080.jpg

PS obviously can't compete with regards to the sheer number of studios it owns. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Sony is fucked now most consoles are sold to casuals who only play FIFA, COD and GTA. And I doubt Sony can afford to buy either EA or Take Two.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

DemonKing

Arcane
Sony is fucked now most consoles are sold to casuals who only play FIFA, COD and GTA. And I doubt Sony can afford to buy either EA or Take Two.

Yeah Nintendo do ok doing their own thing but not sure Sony will survive without access to a lot of big third party titles even though their first party titles are usually fairly high quality. Even if they allow Gamepass on their platform and take a cut it probably doesn't make sense to develop hardware only to give the majority of the profit to another company.

deuxhero

Arcane
I wish the IPs went on firesale and someone who cared got Arcanum and Interstate 76, but I guess MS is marginally better than China.

With the sexual harassment scandals the Activsion share price apparently dropped 40% this year which probably made it an attractive target for acquisition, although at $70 billion I did have to check if it was April Fool's Day or not when I woke up this morning.

CoD, Overwatch, and the Blizzard IPs I could see being worth a few dozen billion. Maybe not 70, but I've never looked over Activison's finances.

deuxhero

Arcane
CoD, Overwatch, and the Blizzard IPs I could see being worth a few dozen billion. Maybe not 70, but I've never looked over Activison's finances.
Behind COD I believe the biggest one financially is Candy Crush.

My scale is that Star Wars was worth 4 billion. Theres been horrible inflation since, but I don't see it being over 16 times as big a prize.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom