Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

Thorakitai

Learned
It's opinion anyway. I can't even say I have strong feelings about it. EVERY Asian country is big on war crime denial. That isn't limited to the Japanese and as Thac0 already said it's cultural and historical reasons. It's always easy to judge this shit outside of this bubble, but this doesn't make it any less real for the people involved. I also understand Chinese being angry at the guy for the same reason.

As for the teaching LGBT thing I 100% agree with him. But, he backtracked on that anyway so I don't know what the big deal there is.

It really doesn't matter to them whether you apologized or even if you changed your beliefs. What matters is that they have a "bad guy" to punish so they can show off their "virtues" and be the "good guys" in irl.

Heck, even some of the people who doesn't engage in the above still treat him as if he commited a Hitler-tier act and find it quite hard to reconcile the "fact".

Casual Hero

Augur
unknown.png
Okay, this slime looks a little creepy but I guess it isn't so bad...
unknown.png
OH NO! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE!?

(Images from Dragon Quest Fantasia)

Gastrick

Cipher
It's opinion anyway. I can't even say I have strong feelings about it. Not just Japan but EVERY Asian country is big on war crime denial.
The war crimes actually are legitimate hoaxes as well, Nanking massacre never happened https://archive.md/ZrFel and the so-called comfort women are just hired prostitutes. From this article here, you can tell he cared about his country and saw what happening to undermine it. this translated by this. One of his songs as a send-off,

Nirvash

Liturgist
So what's the codex's consensus on 11?
Started now, escaped the cave, got the gaygoku thief companion.

oJVnTRT.jpg

Let me guess, she will never get the trunksluminari dick.

The hell is this luminary thing even about, they clearly say yuusha(hero)?

Man this game is... old school, like a snes jrpg but 3d, me like.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Too easy, too long, too derivative. But that's what DQ fans like: a game exactly like all the other DQ games, only with a slightly different story and a few new abilities and mechanics, so in that sense, it's a great success.
If you don't mind a low difficulty and aren't fatigued of standard jRPGs (which this very much tries to be, on purpose) then I think you will have a great time.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Oh right, i'm doing the draconian thing, stronger monsters and less exp.

Goblin archers wiped me 4 times.

I honestly liked it a lot. Probably would've had more fun with it with random encounters tbhq- this is not everyone's cup of tea but I don't like how 'elective' the overland monsters feel, maybe if they were more aggressive when you aggroed them. It's not hard to run to the end of a dungeon and avoid all combat, or run into few enough fights that resource scarcity isn't a concern. I know the 2-D mode has random encounters but it also strips the combat of some UI elements I found pretty helpful, such as health bars.

With draconian modes turned on and with an effort to stay at or below the level curve, I really enjoyed it. Found the combat strategic enough and a lot of the boss fights pretty harrowing. Made a few improvements from older DQs that I appreciated such as dropping Psyche Up from previous installments and separating costumes from armor.

It is very long if you're planning on beating it all the way. Admittely even though I enjoyed it a lot, I think I stopped just short of the *TRUE* final boss. It can run 100+ hours or more, easily.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Too easy, too long, too derivative. But that's what DQ fans like: a game exactly like all the other DQ games, only with a slightly different story and a few new abilities and mechanics, so in that sense, it's a great success.
If you don't mind a low difficulty and aren't fatigued of standard jRPGs (which this very much tries to be, on purpose) then I think you will have a great time.
sounds a lot like your poasts

Nirvash

Liturgist
I'm probably in the minority, but I loved the crafting minigame. It probably accounted for a good 20 hours of my playthrough :D

I NEED RECIPES

Anyway...

mRgTqEw.jpg

Best girl GET

And the ghost gnome side stuff looks like a MASSIVE pain in the ass to complete.

Digimon

Educated
So what's the codex's consensus on 11?
Started now, escaped the cave, got the gaygoku thief companion.

oJVnTRT.jpg

Let me guess, she will never get the trunksluminari dick.

Man this game is... old school, like a snes jrpg but 3d, me like.

Yes, depending on the options you choose later in the game, she can potentially end up being NTR’d by the hero.

Endemic

Arcane

I think the localization team were going for a mixture of meanings #2 and #3 here:

luminary
[ loo-muh-ner-ee ]

noun, plural lu·mi·nar·ies.
a celestial body, as the sun or moon.
a body, object, etc., that gives light.
a person who has attained eminence in his or her field or is an inspiration to others:

Maybe "lightbringer" would be more suitable, I guess. Even without having the Japanese script in front of me, "hero" doesn't really make much sense in English. PC is important at the start because the circumstances of his birth, not because of his actions. 勇者 can mean "brave\valorous" as well, in combination with the subject or other descriptors, so I can't say for sure if that was the intent.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I think it's an example of "over translating." The DQ games have been examples of this for some time, with the translators adding in tons of forced puns and dialects, or trying to make the game seem more profound than it is. Luminary is an awkward attempt at embellishing the script, because "luminary" is typically used to refer to someone who inspires others or is an influential expert in their field, more like a celebrity or influencer than someone that goes around saving the world by slaying dragons. I think hero works fine in this case.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I pumped 13 hours into and quit through sheer boredom. The awful soundtrack didn't help.

I've still got the savegames sat there though so might give it another few hours to see if a break has freshened things up enough for me to enjoy it.

It did have some stuff I liked, it just felt drawn out to fuck.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've never gotten so many bad ratings for a post that said, in essence, "if you love the series you'll love this and it's a great game if you're a fan" and "it's too easy on default settings and basically the same game as other dragon quest games" which is not only objectively true, it's also exactly what makes the series popular.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've never gotten so many bad ratings for a post that said, in essence, "if you love the series you'll love this and it's a great game if you're a fan" and "it's too easy on default settings and basically the same game as other dragon quest games" which is not only objectively true, it's also exactly what makes the series popular.

I rated you retarded because you called a game too easy, that has one of the most fun high difficulty modes in draconian. It is perfectly balanced to offer a good challenge if you play almost perfectly, but never stop to grind.
Game journo tier take, play on the wrong difficulty and whine about it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
While that sounds technically like a fair point, the game doesn't exactly advertise these difficulties. They're presented as optional challenges, not as a "hard mode."

I typically play games on the highest difficulty. But you'll agree with me that, unlike most games that open with a difficulty selection, to access this, you have to go out of your way. Further, you'll have to concede that the standard (and you'd have to assume, intended) difficulty is about right for being retarded.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
While that sounds technically like a fair point, the game doesn't exactly advertise these difficulties. They're presented as optional challenges, not as a "hard mode."

I typically play games on the highest difficulty. But you'll agree with me that, unlike most games that open with a difficulty selection, to access this, you have to go out of your way. Further, you'll have to concede that the standard (and you'd have to assume, intended) difficulty is about right for being retarded.

I do actually think that the difficulty selection is pretty clever.
Gamefreak cites as the main reason for modern Pokemon having retardo tier difficulty that they fear modern kids starting the game on the wrong difficulty, getting butchered, and never returning to Pokemon again.
What Dragon Quest XI does is the perfect solution to make a modern Pokemon appealing to adults again. Have Draconian in Pokemon Gun/Crossbow, and we can have it hard while the kids have it easy.

Not too many people will be confused by the change, because the default difficulty is much easier than the average Dragon Quest (which also makes the part saying that XI is like easy like the others kinda tarded but whatever). If someone who played more than one Dragon Quest starts this one, they will be confused by the difficulty, google it, and turn on Draconian. Just like I did.

Also calling Dragon Quest derivative is also a weird call, since it is the IP that half of the JRPG market is derived from in the first place.

So yeah, the statement does not become less retarded the more I think about it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Look, I'll agree that other dragon quest games aren't as easy by default as this one. They're still pretty easy though. And come on, of course it's derivative! That's a major selling point. Except it's not derivative of other games. It's derivative of itself, the DQ tradition, and I'm sure fans would rebel if it weren't. That's why I didn't think the statement to be wrong.

Casual Hero

Augur
I would say that the average DQ game is more difficult than the average FF game. Neither are super hard, but FF 4-6 are a lot easier than DQ 4-6 for sure.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Difficulty settings is for fegs. I always play RPGs on normal because I don't want to get my time wasted by I game I don't know whether it's actually fun or not. Inherent challenge > difficulty settings. Not really relevant, just wanted to say. Playing on hardest = waste of time for loser autists

Also, ‘derivative but it's okay if you're a fan’ is for fegs. Fans are fegs, and also people who complain about derivativenesses is fegs. Okay, but to be actually serious, it's not about being ‘derivative’, it's about being good. Conventional fantasy stories were great decades ago, now everything is super lame. What's up with that.

By the way I have never played any Dragon Quest game, ever. Maybe they are actually all bland shit since the beginning, I don't know. But they have cute dragons, right? Anything is worth it with dragons. But yeah when I look at 11 it looks like some underwhelming nu-gaem. Would rather play an old game trololololo.

Gastrick

Cipher
I would say that the average DQ game is more difficult than the average FF game. Neither are super hard, but FF 4-6 are a lot easier than DQ 4-6 for sure.

From what I played of DQ IV and V they were both really easy, where the only challenging enemy in V is an optional superboss.

Casual Hero

Augur

From what I played of DQ IV and V they were both really easy, where the only challenging enemy in V is an optional superboss.
The DS remakes? I played the original NES version of 4, and the PS 2 remake of 5.
Still, compared to Final Fantasy 4 and 5, I think the statement holds up. (FF 5 is kind of decided by how broken you decide to make your party [I love the game])

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom