Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

DemonKing

Arcane
My scale is that Star Wars was worth 4 billion. Theres been horrible inflation since, but I don't see it being over 16 times as big a prize.

I agree - I thought $7 billion for Zenimax was a lot on the same basis but this seems crazy. I guess it gives some context to gaming really being bigger than any other form of entertainment these days.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
EA or Take Two.

I'm strongly considering shares now in EA, Take Two and Ubisoft because if Microsoft don't get caught on monopoly we know all 3 are free game.
Ubisoft is a given since their share price is abyssmal so they're likely the next one.

Interstate 76
Aw crap, I just remembered that 82's multiplayer could easily be modified into a Battleroyale.
God damn it.

Chimera

Augur
The list of Intellectual Properties now owned by Microsoft...

Blur
Caesar
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Crash Bandicoot
Diablo
DJ Hero
Empire Earth
Gabriel Knight
Geometry Wars
Guitar Hero
Gun
Hearthstone
Heroes of the Storm
Hexen
Interstate
King’s Quest
Laura Bow Mysteries
The Lost Vikings
Overwatch
Phantasmagoria
Pitfall
Police Quest
Prototype
Quest for Glory
Singularity
Skylanders
Solider of Fortune
Space Quest
Spyro the Dragon
StarCraft
Tenchu
TimeShift
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
True Crime
Warcraft
Zork

This list has been making the rounds among "games journalism" sites that, as with the overwhelming majority of data they cite, is woefully inaccurate. Apart from arbitrarily excluding myriad co-owned IPs and niche titles (Rock n' Roll Racing, Blackthorne, Manhunter, etc), it includes a number of defunct IPs that are unlikely to enjoy any resurgence in popularity.

So, let's boil this down into the categories of...

Stagnant - IP that was relegated to the past in favor of other franchises.

Solitary - IP that failed to garner sufficient success to merit a sequel.

Active - IP that continues to be supported, typically across multiple platforms.

...which leads to...

STAGNANT
Caesar --- last entry was released in 2006, two years prior to Vivendi's merger with Activision, by the now defunct Tilted Mill Entertainment that appear to have ceased operating in 2013. The final game, Caesar IV, received a lukewarm critical reception and poor sales.

DJ Hero --- last entry was DJ Hero 2 in 2010, following which Activision's publishing department cited "declines in the music industry" and "licensing issues" as justifications for discontinuing the series in early 2011.

Empire Earth --- last entry in 2007, with the worst reviews and sales figures to date. The Java-based mobile spinoff from two years prior was, purportedly, more financially successful than EE3 given the latter's significant development cost.

Gabriel Knight --- last entry was technically in 1999, with "Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned" though the original was remastered in 2014. Jane Jensen, the author, retains rights to the character and attempted an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign in 2012.

Geometry Wars --- last entry in 2014, later re-released in a physical disc format in 2016. The bizarrely named Stephen Cakebread, creator of the series, abandoned it in 2016 to pursue work with the Need for Speed franchise.

Guitar Hero --- last entry in 2015, prior to the great peripherals collapse. Officially discontinued after Activision closed their music division and severed any existing licensing deals.

Hexen --- last entry in 1997, with an expansion in 1998 and digitally released in 2007. The mediocre, and independently developed, "Graven," released in 2021, was intended to act as a spiritual successor to the franchise.

Interstate --- last entry in 1999, alongside its spinoff series, the "Vigilante 8" games, which also ceased in 1999 with a Gameboy Color port.

Laura Bow Mysteries --- last entry in 1992, re-released for modern computers on GOG in 2017 but lacking any interest since, just one among many casualties of the point-and-click adventure genre.

The Lost Vikings --- last entry in 1997, ported to numerous platforms though the only appearance these guys have had since is a minor homage in certain Blizzard-developed titles.

Phantasmagoria --- last entry in 1996, with the third game cancelled following Sierra's acquisition by CUC International (...how apropos) as, according to comments made in 2019 by Ken Williams, co-founder of Sierra Entertainment and husband of series developer Roberta Williams, "individuals in the management" disagreed with the content based on "religious reasons."

Pitfall --- last entry in 1998, barring the in-name-only endless runner adaptation for iOS in 2012. An attempted Kickstarter for a more modern version raised a mere $31,207 of its 900k goal.

Police Quest --- last entry in 1999, though the adapted/derived series of SWAT endured through 2008. A Kickstarter campaign failed here, as well, though many were optimistic the series would be picked up anew when Activision reactivated the Sierra label in 2014; as it turns out, they merely did so in order to release the games digitally. "Ready or Not," an independent spiritual successor, became Steam's bestselling title during the final week of 2021.

Prototype --- last entry 2012, re-released to PS4 and XBOX One in 2015. Poor sales caused Activision to downsize the developing studio, Radical Entertainment. Fans were slightly more generous than critics in rating Prototype 2, though it dropped from the top sales charts after a mere two weeks.

Quest for Glory --- last entry in 1998, with the unique mechanic of a narrative that continued directly throughout and allowed save importing. The complexity of continuing such, alone, contributed to its dissolution coupled with a sub-50k sales figure for the final installment "Dragon Fire."

Solider of Fortune --- last entry in 2001, though digitally re-released in 2018 as a bundle. It's online-only spinoff was a 2010 Korean-exclusive that was shutdown shortly after its release.

Space Quest --- last entry in 1996, with a fan-made sequel in 2011. Attempts were made to continue the series at Sierra in 1997 and 1999, in addition to a reboot in 2002 for the XBOX that was cancelled after a year of development.

Tenchu --- last entry in 2008, though Activision- Blizzard only owns the rights to earlier titles that culminated in 2004; FromSoft and Ubisoft are otherwise listed as the IP owners.

True Crime --- last entry in 2005, whose poor sales figures, competing directly with the GTA titles it mimicked, led to its demise. The last intended sequel, "True Crime: Hong Kong," was cancelled and publishing rights given to Square-Enix, who adapted it into the "Sleeping Dogs" game of 2012. An online spinoff of Sleeping Dogs, which would have licensed properties from Activision, dubbed "Triad Wars," was cancelled in 2015.

Zork --- last entry in 1997, the eleventh official title, though a browser-based licensed game was released in 2009 and shuttered in 2011.

SOLITARY
Blur --- released in 2010, via Activision subsidiary Bizarre Creations, unfortunately in tandem with the similar "Split/Second" and leaning heavily into a multiplayer component for longevity. It failed, spectacularly, such that the entire studio was canned, along with the sequel that was already in development. Poor sales and the end of licenses permitting the use of real-world car models forced the title to be pulled from digital storefronts in May of 2013. A top-down, freemium mobile title was licensed in 2013 but disappeared within the year.

Gun --- released in 2005, on every major platform, with a Playstation Portable port less than a year later. It sold well, moving nearly one and a half million units, was critically praised and earned several awards in spite of the various "noble savage Indian" controversies it engendered. Developer Neversoft Entertainment were given the greenlight to proceed with a sequel in 2006, but opted to pursue additional Tony Hawk games instead.

Singularity --- released in 2010, its sales figures "disappointed" Activision, who had anticipated a million units and had to be content with only 400k. The game is often cited as an overlooked gem of its generation, a sentiment with which I agree, but the poor sales performance and issues during development (it was initially cancelled and then rebuilt from the ground-up in ten months), resulted in a wave of layoffs. Singularity was the last independent Raven Software project, their few remaining developers shuffled over to support the Call of Duty franchise.

TimeShift --- released in 2007, the game endured repeated delays as development milestones were consistently missed and publishing rights passed between Atari and Sierra, then merged into Vivendi. The developer, Saber Interactive, has since been purchased by the Embracer Group.

ACTIVE
Call of Duty --- last entry in 2021

Candy Crush --- last entry 2015 (update in 2021)

Crash Bandicoot --- last entry in 2020, mobile port in 2021

Diablo --- last entry in 2017, remaster in 2021

Hearthstone --- last entry 2014 (update in 2021)

Heroes of the Storm --- last entry in 2015 (update in 2021)

King’s Quest --- last entry in 2015 (final DLC in 2016)

Overwatch --- last entry 2016 (update in 2021)

Skylanders --- last entry in 2018

Spyro the Dragon --- last entry in 2018

StarCraft --- last entry 2016, remaster in 2017

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater --- last entry in 2020

Warcraft --- last entry in 2020, latest WoW update in 2022

...what are we genuinely left to assess? The solitary ones may be placed on GamePass or otherwise digitally re-released, but I have no confidence whatsoever that any of them will merit additional sequels. As for the stagnant IP, what could possibly come of it? Guitar Hero VR? A potential SWAT cashgrab? Which leaves us with the active stuff, as dominated by Blizzard titles.

Where I'm concerned, I'm entirely disinterested in more than half the remaining items. I played Starcraft and Warcraft II as a teen, but gradually transitioned from RTS to turn-based games, then into roleplaying. The last CoD game I touched was "World at War," whose campaign was laughable and newer entries are too dudebro for my taste, with even the supposedly high-skill compilations I've seen eliciting a visceral sense of disdain when witnessing the absurd compensations for console players (throwing a knife in the relative vicinity of a foot causes immediate death and headshots resulting from firing when the onscreen reticle is a good inch off-target). Crash and Spyro are both console-centric series I lack the rose-tinted glasses to enjoy, having attempted both, while Overwatch, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are all from genres I detest.

So, am I to quake in dismay that Microsoft now owns Diablo? Or is it King's Quest I should lament?

King's Quest caused its own demise with obtuse puzzles and insta-kill scenarios. The 2015 reboot was not without charm, but for all the "star power" they pushed behind it with celebrity voice actors, it failed to measure up against its contemporaries.

As for Diablo: fantastic!

Or have you all forgotten what became of the franchise that spawned more clones than any other? More than GTA, more than Doom, there are Diablo clones up the wazoo! And some are incredible in their own right, with Grim Dawn and Path of Exile taking centerstage, Torchlight 2 in the wings for a more lighthearted jaunt and hundreds of others jostling for attention.

Blizzard, meanwhile, gave us the Real Money trading market in D3. They chose rainbows and unicorns over the Gothic aesthetic, with World of Warcraft models and armaments. We were scorned for not slurping up their mobile diarrhea with Diablo Immortal. Told we were bigots because we dislike the tranny they replaced the Amazon with in the D2 remaster. The perpetual "always online" propaganda.

Some loss.

Frankly, this news strikes me as a lot of tears shed over naught. Blizzard and CoD fanboys may be quaking, but I'm as concerned by this as if I'd learned that the McDonald's Corporation just bought up Kroc: so, the manufacturers of vile meat slurry they deign to call a hamburger now owns Taco Bell? Another "restaurant" I will never patronize?

This isn't the end of the gaming sphere.

This doesn't affect games any of us should be concerned about, even remotely.

This is meaningless.

Lizard

Learned
Microsoft has owned the video game rights to FASA properties, but not the tabletop/book rights iirc. Aside from licensing out Shadowrun and Battletech a few times recently, they are doing fuck all with them. Now with all these newer more popular IPs under their umbrella why would they? They will only suck up to the core/traditional gaming audience when they are in last place like recent gen, but that isn't gonna last with all these acquisitions.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I remember Phil Spencer saying "we changed how we do certain things with Activision" after the danger hair harassment allegations on Blizzard, turns out they did REALLY changed how they deal with Activision.:lol:

Unwanted

†††

Patron
The future for Activision-Blizzard is fabulously optimistic

HHzkOts.png

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The future for Activision-Blizzard is fabulously optimistic

HHzkOts.png

Makes you wonder what the evolved cockroaches will think of us once their computer scientists are able to reconstruct badly deteriorated computer files from the remaining pieces of the internet.

Will they laugh? face-palm? think this was just some primate obsession and think little about it other than perhaps some articles in scientific journals about this weird fluke of a species?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Even though I haven't played a game from either of these companies released in the past 5-10 years, I don't like this. Monopolization aside, I don't like Microsoft getting bigger. With consoles, there's an uneasy balance where if one company does something completely moronic the other company, even if they were going to do it originally, will not do that. Now? It might actually be true that Sony has no games. And of course, Microsoft's PC game services have always had that whiff of bullshit about them. Its going to be interesting to see what this results in. Interesting, not good, not good at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
The concept of buying a service company has always been wild to me. What are you even buying? Do they really value the IPs as being worth $67 billion?
Houses of cards built upon houses of cards.

The personification of businesses is a hell of a drug.

Last edited:

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The list of Intellectual Properties now owned by Microsoft...

Gabriel Knight --- last entry was technically in 1999, with "Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned" though the original was remastered in 2014. Jane Jensen, the author, retains rights to the character and attempted an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign in 2012.

Laura Bow Mysteries --- last entry in 1992, re-released for modern computers on GOG in 2017 but lacking any interest since, just one among many casualties of the point-and-click adventure genre.

Gabriel Knight-- The KS was successful, but for an unrelated project, Moebius, and the remaster. I believe the remaster was done with some cooperation/licensing from Activision, pretty sure she doesn't own the rights.

Laura Bow -- Sequel now in development by Ninezyme - http://ninezyme.com/ -- they reached some kind of agreement with Activision last fall.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man... can you believe sitting on so many good titles, and not releasing anything in 20 fucking years, just because WoW worked?

Lazy-ass pricks. I feel such bile. I grew up with Caesar III. That title alone would make millions.

Lizard

Learned
Easy wins for Microsoft: actually fix Warcraft Refunded, Warcraft 4, bring back Crash/Spyro again, spend a tiny amount of money to fund smaller studios/indies "reviving" dormant franchises.

Then comes the waves of press praising them, obvious shills posting about how Microshit are good guys now and gaymepass is such a great deal especially in a covid/post covid world. Microsoft has been trying to redo their image in gaming for a while now, every time there is something negative that gamers are loudly complaining about Spencer is the first to comment on it and have press writing about him.

Things will seem good for the mainstream consumers at first, then they will just keep getting worse and worse as they move over to fat trimming.

deuxhero

Arcane
Frankly, even if the IPs went on sale individually, the following are the only ones I could see getting anything made from them (over just a spiritual successor):
Crash+Spyro: Despite not having particularly good games in nearly two decades, the characters are recognizable enough to warrant a purchase. Entirely possible MS does something with it.
Arcanum: More name recognition than anything irreplaceable in a spiritual successor, but it absolutely does have name recognition. If MS does something with it, hopefully the Troika (who all work for MS now IIRC) are at least the ones to butcher it.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater: I can not see a new entry working well(though someone might try) with how solidly in 90s/early 2000s culture they are and how bad the last few games got, but the re-release of 1+2 did well and there's at least 4 more GOOD games in the series (3, 4, THUG, THUG2 and arguably American Wasteland+Project 8) that could use the treatment. Activison turned the devs that did the remake into another CoD sweatshop, but MS might save it.
Pitfall: The original platformer. Don't expect MS to do much with it, but could happen.

Laura Bow: I could see this one having been picked up cheap (key word) to make a medium-low budget adventure game throwback. King's Quest has too much plot baggage of continuing 8 entries and is too heavily associated with one person (Roberta Williams) for that to work, Space Quest is likewise very constrained by being a large series already Gabriel Knight isn't full ownership, Police Quest has a bunch of issues (is more known for SWAT now, is heavily linked to one person, burn loot murder movement) and Zork is too connected to the text only. Meanwhile, Laura Bow has an easy premise (1920s detective girl solves mystery) with a built in distinct setting (1920s). Absolutely don't expect MS to do anything with it.

Interstate 76: Has a very, very specific atmosphere and style, plus name recognition. No idea if MS
Gun: GTA clone fuel, given it was one already.
Prototype: Likewise. Not sure MS would do anything with it given Crackdown exists.
Call of Duty+Candy Crush+Blizzard stuff: No explanation needed

Codex Year of the Donut
remembering that time a judge forced microsoft to split into two companies then magically got it reversed because private conversations with the judge leaked into the public

Codex Year of the Donut
Easy wins for Microsoft: actually fix Warcraft Refunded, Warcraft 4, bring back Crash/Spyro again, spend a tiny amount of money to fund smaller studios/indies "reviving" dormant franchises.

Then comes the waves of press praising them, obvious shills posting about how Microshit are good guys now and gaymepass is such a great deal especially in a covid/post covid world. Microsoft has been trying to redo their image in gaming for a while now, every time there is something negative that gamers are loudly complaining about Spencer is the first to comment on it and have press writing about him.

Things will seem good for the mainstream consumers at first, then they will just keep getting worse and worse as they move over to fat trimming.
heckin microsoft gonna save gaming
1642563122462.jpg

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
My scale is that Star Wars was worth 4 billion. Theres been horrible inflation since, but I don't see it being over 16 times as big a prize.
Yeah it does seem pretty ridiculous. Blizzactivision is 24 billion worth of assets and makes 2.2 billion per year so it still seems to be a good deal for Microsoft in the end, especially considering the way they can corner the industry with this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom