Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

Don Peste

Arcane
Why won't MS (or Embracer, anyone...) buy Interplay already? I wonder if it's a mix of uninterest for its remaining IPs + not having any dev studios + simple French greedyness...

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why won't MS (or Embracer, anyone...) buy Interplay already? I wonder if it's a mix of uninterest for its remaining IPs + not having any dev studios + simple French greedyness...

Would you want to deal with this man?

f1bO8oH.jpg

You'd probably go in wanting to buy interplay and end up with a bridge and a shitty used car.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

f1bO8oH.jpg

You'd probably go in wanting to buy interplay and end up with a bridge and a shitty used car.

What does Interplay even has left that's worth buying?

Codex Year of the Donut

f1bO8oH.jpg

What does actiblizz have that's worth buying?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

f1bO8oH.jpg

For a company like Microsoft: Diablo, WoW, maybe Starcraft

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Now who else gets to rape the Starcraft IP? Obsidian? Bethesda?
Remember the competition between age of empires and starcraft/warcraft? And now 25 years later the RTS genre is almost dead and Microsoft owns the starcraft/warcraft ip. :D

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Not super sure about the "this is the death of Steam" angle. If anything, the Epic Store struggles show it is not just about games. Community, guides, reviews, mods all matter. And it's not about the technical solution either, even the best platform is pointless without an active user base, which is hard to build from scratch when people are accustomed to a competing platform. Even a totally garbage product like Facebook can still retain many users because they want to be in touch with their friends who are all on FB, but maybe not anywhere else.

Also, where do you guys think Steam's revenue come from? Is it all about a few AAA megahits, or rather through compounding of a large number of moderately profitable AAs/indies?

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
I don't even know what a quarter of the shit in those pictures are, so I guess AAA gaming has already declined enough for this to barely affect me. :?

FJaeEBAWQAQvPoo

VS

housemarque_playstationHD-1920x1080.jpg

PS obviously can't compete with regards to the sheer number of studios it owns. Will be interesting to see how they respond.
Only quarter? Rookie numbers.

I was going to post something along these lines. I can barely recognize 2 or 3.

Don Peste

Arcane

f1bO8oH.jpg

Interplay IP

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

f1bO8oH.jpg

Interplay IP

Exactly, nothing Microsoft or anybody else would pay top dollar for

Reinhardt

Arcane

f1bO8oH.jpg

Interplay IP

Exactly, nothing Microsoft or anybody else would pay top dollar for
What about bridge?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Microsoft envisions a "post console hardware" future. Xbox game pass will be a something most people just subscribe to forever. Whether it be on their PC, console or whatever.

It's what Disney+ is to TV.

Dycedarg

Learned
While I don't think this move is enough to guarantee Microsoft a monopoly on the console market, this is pretty bad news. They just bought a huge conglomerate and there's no reason to believe it's gonna stop just yet. Worse: while Sony doesn't have the same kind of cash MS does, I wouldn't put it past them buying a company like Capcom or Square Enix.

As for the IPs Microsoft has aquired, the biggest one is obviously Call of Duty. I tried finding how many copies the franchise usually sells, but I think Activision doesn't usually publish the numbers. But what I did find is absurd. The two best selling games in the US in 2020 and 2021 were CoD games. I saw a few sites claiming some entries of the series sold more 30 million copies. I don't know how trustworthy those numbers are, but for a yearly franchise, that's insane.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Remember the times we were surprised they bought multiple mid-sized studios like Obsidian?
Then the Bethesda buy happened and everyone went crazy that they actually shelved out 7.5 Billion for a publisher?
Now we're at 70 Billion for Activision Blizzard.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if they just outright bought one of Nintendo or Sony.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom