Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

tabacila

Augur
Btw the fact that no one from CA came out to say anything about it pretty much confirms it's true.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, it's 5 chaos factions vs Cathay/Kislev (are they even allies?) vs Ogre Kingdoms? I foresee the ogres getting wiped out pretty early. 5 chaos factions vs Cathay/Kislev might sound unbalanced, but since chaos only has 1 LL per faction it's not as skewed as it seems.

Trithne

Erudite
I think that they intend for the Chaos factions to fight between themselves, as seen with the Nurgle-Slaanesh fight videos.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think that they intend for the Chaos factions to fight between themselves, as seen with the Nurgle-Slaanesh fight videos.
The chaos gods are generally at war with each other just as much as they are at war with everything else. The times when they ally are represented in total warhammer with archaons faction, so I doubt the chaos factions in wh3 will have any diplomatic bonuses with each other.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
XLbOF0b.png

I opened legend of total war stream on youtube, and found this.

Seem like car salesman is playing crap.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Like its predecessor, then, the Warhammer 3 campaign is a race. Everyone's trying to get to the bear first
I'm glad I have version that allows playing ME unified map, without doing a race to a goalpost. It's bit better than playing Vortex.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't understand a lot of things about this faction. Why does it even exist first of all? The Warriors of Chaos are already this kind of combination of all the chaos gods, but with their own roster, not literally just the other 4 chaos factions at the same time. Second of all, what does this "RPG customization" bring to the table? Lords are already grotesquely overpowered, so adding bells and whistles on top seems pointless. On top of that, this is supposed to be an army vs army game, not LL vs army, so why this much attention to the customization of one character? I'm watching Legend's stream and I still think the ground textures in battles look horrendous, literally PS1/2 era. They look stretched out for some reason and very low poly.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Like its predecessor, then, the Warhammer 3 campaign is a race. Everyone's trying to get to the bear first
I'm glad I have version that allows playing ME unified map, without doing a race to a goalpost. It's bit better than playing Vortex.
A race is fine as a campaign mechanic imo. The thing that brings down vortex race is that all factions are competing over the same cities, so you'll conquer the world the same way every time and that every time you start the vortex ritual you have to fight 2d6 generic skaven/chaos armies. If the milstone challenges were different, and the point mechanic wasn't just "hold as many of these 30 cities as possible" it would be enjoyable even on repeat playthroughs.
I don't understand a lot of things about this faction. Why does it even exist first of all? The Warriors of Chaos are already this kind of combination of all the chaos gods, but with their own roster, not literally just the other 4 chaos factions at the same time. Second of all, what does this "RPG customization" bring to the table? Lords are already grotesquely overpowered, so adding bells and whistles on top seems pointless. On top of that, this is supposed to be an army vs army game, not LL vs army, so why this much attention to the customization of one character? I'm watching Legend's stream and I still think the ground textures in battles look horrendous, literally PS1/2 era. They look stretched out for some reason and very low poly.
Afaik demons of chaos (undivided) is an army in tabletop? Also asset reuse, so cheap to make. But why play a monogod faction when you can play a faction that gets all those units and more?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

You just play chaos undivided and can customize your lord's aesthetics and powers in whatever combination of chaos factions you want, it is not complicated. Warriors of Chaos is normally a sub-faction of Chaos Undivided. Warhammer 1/2 implementation of chaos was really half-assed.

Sizzle

Arcane
But why play a monogod faction when you can play a faction that gets all those units and more?

The monogod factions probably get stronger bonuses and different mechanics, I'd wager. Otherwise, yeah, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to play these as anything but the Chaos Undivided faction.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Afaik demons of chaos (undivided) is an army in tabletop? Also asset reuse, so cheap to make. But why play a monogod faction when you can play a faction that gets all those units and more?
That is exactly what I am asking too. Why play a monogod faction when you can add a ridiculous amount of customization to Chaos Undivided and what army you get depends on your dedication. Just have Chaos Undivided as a faction and not the 4 separate gods. This game suffers from lack of variety within the factions themselves, so an Empire LL will more or less always play exactly the same for example.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
That is exactly what I am asking too. Why play a monogod faction when you can add a ridiculous amount of customization to Chaos Undivided and what army you get depends on your dedication. Just have Chaos Undivided as a faction and not the 4 separate gods. This game suffers from lack of variety within the factions themselves, so an Empire LL will more or less always play exactly the same for example.
Tbh, a lot of the factions are pretty similar as well. There are some strange ones (like vamps not getting any ranged units or siege weapons for example), but most play pretty similarly.

FreeKaner

Game is definitely not suffering from lack of diversity, diversity is its greatest strength.

You can play monogod faction because the faction mechanics are different. Chaos undivided just seems it gets to have the custom chaos prince & unit selection while lacking the specialized faction mechanics.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It only has diversity in models, not in gameplay styles. Like Jaedar pointed out, the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority of factions play suspiciously similarly. The variety within the factions themselves is also lacking. There is no real difference between playing any HE lord over any other HE lord, and once you play Tyrion once you've seen everything he has to offer. There are no "builds" is what I'm trying to get at.

FreeKaner

Compared to what? RPG classes? It's the most diverse RTS and only Warcraft 3 compares somewhat or HOMM when it comes to faction differences. You can also have different armies within same faction unless you are just strictly doing 19 same unit doomstacks. More "diversity" and it would be a clown show where there is no coherence at all. Sure you'll have categories of units that perform similar roles but it's a RTS, like what's the alternative, making it into dota where every unit is its own thing?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Troy has every unit being its own thing and it works very well. You can't tell me Warhammer can be compared to WC3 and AoE2 for example, compared to them Warhammer is just selecting all your units and telling them to attack. There are no rock/paper/scissors mechanics even (unlike, again, Troy). When you have Wood Elves playing exactly the same as lizardpeople, you have something wrong going on somewhere.

Sizzle

Arcane
Troy has every unit being its own thing and it works very well. You can't tell me Warhammer can be compared to WC3 and AoE2 for example, compared to them Warhammer is just selecting all your units and telling them to attack. There are no rock/paper/scissors mechanics even (unlike, again, Troy). When you have Wood Elves playing exactly the same as lizardpeople, you have something wrong going on somewhere.

If you're playing WE the same as Lizardmen, you're playing both of them wrong :D

FreeKaner

It definitely is much better than AOE2. I am not sure at what level you play AoE2 but saying that Warhammer is not at that level is very blind. In AoE2 most factions are going to be doing similar strategies, like scouts opener, m@a into archers opener etc. and then play with knights or crossbows. There are very few civs in AoE2 that truly changes your playstyle substantially, generally ones with strong unique units to warrant change of playstyle.

This is just such an empty criticism. Going onto say that lords within same factions don't feel diverse enough is basically an illusion created by how different the factions play. Wood elves and Lizard people definitely do not play the same. Dark Elves don't play similarly to Empire, Beastmen don't play similarly to Wood Elves.

To elaborate, dark elves have fast and hard hitting units, short range AP missiles, somewhat weak cavalry, very strong lords and heroes and so you play very mobile and fast with them. Empire plays a lot more static with gun lines and artillery, with artillery and mages being the play makers. Dwarves is that but even more static. Wood elves play extremely mobile, kite and focus fire a lot, lizardmen generally just seek engagement, skinks are good at skirmishing but they are more auxiliary compared to wood elves. Vampire coast is very range heavy, vampire counts is all about the moshpit and it goes on.

Really only factions that play somewhat familiar to each other are Empire, Bretonnia and Dwarves and you do need some normal factions alike to basic total war formula. Something to anchor the gameplay so other factions can differentiate. Even there it is a spectrum with Bretonnia being most mobile and Dwarves being most static.

Basically this just sounds to me complaining for sake of complaining, just aimless cynicism.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I already provided enough footage about how almost every faction is ranged-heavy and plays exactly the same, so repeating the conversation is pointless.

Lacrymas

Arcane
WH3 is not even out yet and Legend is already stacking blue horrors of Tzeentch -

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom