Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I already provided enough footage about how almost every faction is ranged-heavy and plays exactly the same, so repeating the conversation is pointless.

Extremely senseless video. Taking her playstyle as gospel when she is playing with 19 raiders for god knows what reason. I assume she is going for raiders because they are a good early game unit but that's also related to the fact that when you play against the AI on high difficulty, melee units become useless, because high difficulty increases melee stats. It's an issue that I strongly criticize but not one related to diversity. This person is also doing it wrong playing 19 raiders. You are also not going to play with 19 raiders whole game and if you are doing very hard battle difficulty campaign your late game army will be something like 19 minotaurs doomstack or some sort of jabberslythe doomstack.

Watch some people playing multiplayer against human players without ridiculous difficult buffs. Not only do factions play very differently, same factions play differently with different army compositions. Also looking at a particular player's playstyle which they might have their own preferences and passing generalized judgments is extremely lacking in critical thought.

FreeKaner

Here is unit diversity:

There are issues with campaign difficulty, basically on higher difficulties prohibitive supply lines costs and the fact that battle difficulty only increasing melee stats of AI units means that optimal playstyle is spamming highest tier ranged or monster units in one doomstack but that's a separate issue unrelated to army diversity. Multiplayer is when you can fully how diverse armies can be, even within same faction. I also honestly don't play on "very hard" battle difficulty because the way it works is just degenerate, buffing enemy melee stats and nothing else.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I already provided enough footage about how almost every faction is ranged-heavy and plays exactly the same, so repeating the conversation is pointless.

Extremely senseless video. Taking her playstyle as gospel when she is playing with 19 raiders for god knows what reason
That was only the first video, I posted many more after hers to prove my point. I linked to that as the starting point of the conversation. As for campaign difficulty, yes, the difficulties need complete overhauls. Different difficulty effects for different factions and better AI are a must imo.

FreeKaner

Campaign difficulty is definitely one of the worst areas of the game, it is atrocious really to increase melee stats of the enemy. It basically makes every enemy melee unit one tier higher. So your glass cannon high charge bonus early melee units with beastmen can't perform their role anymore as they'll lose to same price point AI melee units because of raw stat difference, and you have no choice but to abuse the AI with missile units. I don't understand how they even think that's a good idea, I don't use higher battle difficulties for this reason and only higher campaign difficulties.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Also you can now apparently build outposts in allies' territory that allows you to recruit units?
It turns out you can recruit units from your allies' rosters this way. Which is certainly a choice.

Last nail in the coffin of faction diversity.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
WH3 is not even out yet and Legend is already stacking blue horrors of Tzeentch -
Stacking them in a corner while running his lord in front of the AI army until they used all their ammo you mean?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I just want to fight sex demons with rat dudes.

Or russians with rat dudes.

Or the chinese with rat dudes.

Or mongolians with rat dudes.

I'm beginning to think the rat dudes are overpowered.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just want to fight sex demons with rat dudes.

Or russians with rat dudes.

Or the chinese with rat dudes.

Or mongolians with rat dudes.

I'm beginning to think the rat dudes are overpowered.

sneaky rat dudes, rat dudes with gatling guns or monstrous rat dudes?

WH3 is not even out yet and Legend is already stacking blue horrors of Tzeentch -

well TW3 has Khorne, which barely has one ranged unit; so the meta isn't all ranged.

Parabalus

Arcane
Campaign difficulty is definitely one of the worst areas of the game, it is atrocious really to increase melee stats of the enemy. It basically makes every enemy melee unit one tier higher. So your glass cannon high charge bonus early melee units with beastmen can't perform their role anymore as they'll lose to same price point AI melee units because of raw stat difference, and you have no choice but to abuse the AI with missile units. I don't understand how they even think that's a good idea, I don't use higher battle difficulties for this reason and only higher campaign difficulties.

The AI can't stack buffs and effects as well as the player though, so I kinda get where CA was coming from with the blanket buffs.

You won't just have more permanent bonuses from the campaign for your units, but the player also utilizes temporary buffs/debuffs better. Often when you have a few decked out lords+heroes you can drop enemy stats to 0.

Ranged stack is obviously much easier and consistent to play, but the buff to melee is only really noticeable early.

Lacrymas

Arcane
well TW3 has Khorne, which barely has one ranged unit; so the meta isn't all ranged.
At one point in the stream, he said ranged is still overwhelmingly the meta. 1 faction not being as ranged-heavy hardly fixes anything (as the vampires have shown). Let's hope we can mod this shit to oblivion.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But why play a monogod faction when you can play a faction that gets all those units and more?

The monogod factions probably get stronger bonuses and different mechanics, I'd wager. Otherwise, yeah, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to play these as anything but the Chaos Undivided faction.

checking the stream, it seems the chaos undivided doesn't get the whole roster of all the monogod factions (notably on the lords and heroes types). And I don't think you can get all the faction mechanics

Lacrymas

Arcane
checking the stream, it seems the chaos undivided doesn't get the whole roster of all the monogod factions (notably on the lords and heroes types). And I don't think you can get all the faction mechanics
CxocpCj.jpg
This is the roster.

Mitleser2020

Scholar

Khorne faction has access to two different ranged units.

It is the Slaanesh faction who has none.

But why play a monogod faction when you can play a faction that gets all those units and more?

The monogod factions probably get stronger bonuses and different mechanics, I'd wager. Otherwise, yeah, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to play these as anything but the Chaos Undivided faction.

No Exalted Greater Daemons and mortal cultists for Undivided, to be exact.

Trithne

Erudite

Khorne faction has access to two different ranged units.

It is the Slaanesh faction who has none.

No Exalted Greater Daemons and mortal cultists for Undivided, to be exact.

Does that mean Undivided doesn't get the entire stolen-from-Skaven secret cults mechanic?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
This is the roster.
I wonder if there's some sort of diminishing returns on acquiring individual units through the Glory system, i.e. dedicating yourself to Nurgle only (as anyone should) will make it harder to progress in the other gods, or if you'll just get access to all of it every game eventually. Certainly makes for more interesting gameplay, depending on how the game shapes up, to unlock certain units over others quickly to deal with certain factions winning in your current game while failing in others.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This is the roster.
I wonder if there's some sort of diminishing returns on acquiring individual units through the Glory system, i.e. dedicating yourself to Nurgle only (as anyone should) will make it harder to progress in the other gods, or if you'll just get access to all of it every game eventually. Certainly makes for more interesting gameplay, depending on how the game shapes up, to unlock certain units over others quickly to deal with certain factions winning in your current game while failing in others.
You just stack blue horrors of Tzeentch regardless of anything, the end.

tabacila

Augur
Katarin's Defeat Trait is pure :decline:

>no useful effect
>no cool name
>cringy text

nue4wnshwoc81.png
It's pretty much what you get for defeating Karl Franz now...

So does the allied recruitment thing have any limits? Like unit tier or number of units?
It will definitely destroy my enjoyment to see a Vampire Lord running around with a stack of 10 Steam Tanks, 8 Skaven Jezzails and one Skeleton Spearmen. If there aren't any number or tier limits to it I think the first mod I'll be looking for is something to solve that.

On the bright side this and the Chaos Undivided stuff pretty much confirm we'll get Dogs of War at a certain point. Can't wait for Tilea, Estalia and the Border Princes to no longer be a bland Empire copy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom