Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

toughasnails

Well, given that his review was somewhat positive, maybe he'll get some new sales so that they might add more content in the future.

Boleskine

Arcane
How do people feel about turning this into a Civvie/GMan/FPSshilltuber thread? Might be better than bumping old threads with GMan videos, since there's overlap on the games he and Civvie discuss.

edit - if not, do explain. Should we have a separate GMan thread?

edit 2 - I ask because when the SsethTzeentach became a Sseth/Mandalore thread it caused a monsoon of butthurt, resulting in separate Mandalore thread. I think it'd make sense to have a Civvie/GMan thread, though

Last edited:

A horse of course

How do people feel about turning this into a Civvie/GMan/FPSshilltuber thread? Might be better than bumping old threads with GMan videos, since there's overlap on the games he and Civvie discuss.

edit - if not, do explain. Should we have a separate GMan thread?

edit 2 - I ask because when the SsethTzeentach became a Sseth/Mandalore thread it caused a monsoon of butthurt, resulting in separate Mandalore thread. I think it'd make sense to have a Civvie/GMan thread, though

The sseth/mandalore problem was that they were two completely different 'tub(b)ers who covered totally different topics in completely different styles. Obviously this got worse after Simpalore tried to cancel someone and nobody wanted to see his shit. I don't know about putting civvie and ggman in the same thread, as civvie MOSTLY covers boomer shooters and neoboomerist indie shooters, whereas ggman covers pretty much any and all popamole modern FPS these days with a few retro videos inbetween.

toughasnails

Well, given that his review was somewhat positive, maybe he'll get them some new sales so that they might add more content in the future.
SteamDB and new user reviews are only thing I can go by and looking at the player counts and the frequency by which new reviews are posted, it doesn't look like he got them any new sales? 250.000 + views on his video, and as I said the review itself is somewhat positive, so it seems p weird to me... The game was also discounted for some time after his review went up.

Riskbreaker

I remember next to nothing about that game even tho I was excited about it and played it on release. I certainly never finished it, I'm not sure I even got that far in - I think one of those platforming stretches with instakill lava pits killed it for me, quicksaves were yet to be implemented at that point.

Caim

Arcane
So because Interceptor was being jerked around by Gearbox they never got to release the Duke game they were working on, and over the years they moved between publishers and names to end making the kind of boomer shooter that let Civvie build up his brand.

This means that Civvie's success is the direct result of Randy Pitchford being a dick.

toughasnails

Speaking of how this game contributed to boomer shooter revival, I would say that late Total Biscuit deserves some credit too. He pushed ROTT 2013 on his channel as well as being one of Brutal Doom's early promoters. His video about the original Shadow Warrior's level design compared to contemporary FPSs was also hugely popular.

As for ROTT 2013 I think that "amateurish" sums it up p well. I had no idea about that shotgun thing prior to seeing Civvie's vid but now I'd say it displays the problems p well. Load of fully modelled tiny projectiles that are there for one frame when you fire the shotgun, you would never see them while playing. They serve no conceivable purpose and only hurt the framerate. It boggles the mind that something like that is in game.

Caim

Arcane
Honestly I don't even know what they were going for with that ad. Is that a play on train conductor? Or some kind of TV show that I'm not enough of a boomer for to recognize?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is possible that there is some console game from the 90s i have no idea about or some very recent indie game on Steam i never noticed, but IMO at least on PC (and ignoring Steam) Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project is one of the best side scrollers and the best use of a "2.5D" camera i've seen. I got the game from a magazine coverdisk somewhere in the early/mid-2000s (i didn't knew it even existed before that) and was instantly hooked.

The game also came with modding tools like a map editor, but i don't remember hearing any mod made for it. A quick search shows Deep Freeze which was released... last month :-P.

Caim

Arcane
And the Manhattan Project video has been age restricted. Gotta wonder why, given that most of his Postal videos are still up.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Requested for a while
finally delivered

the part about engine is pure

:prosper:

This time Iron Maiden didn't asked them to change the name.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
If you've got shooters with music all but ripped from metal albums, might as well name the entire game after one.

Caim

Arcane
Nightmare Reaper has left early access. A roguelite pixelated shooter that he's talked about before, and it's finished now. Game's 15% off for the rest of the week on Steam. Will probably not play this myself.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nightmare Reaper has left early access. A roguelite pixelated shooter that he's talked about before, and it's finished now. Game's 15% off for the rest of the week on Steam. Will probably not play this myself.

"despite some of its flaws, like performance dips"

really? this visual vomit can have performance dips? I know some developers get into game development with no understanding of basics like properly handled memory allocations but come on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom