Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Almost done with the hold.

So this is the best dungeon in the game, huh?

It's not bad, but it ain't no Durlag's Tower, that's for sure. Not even remotely close. I also think i should have grabbed Kana before coming here as it's taking me too long to clear it. Every fight is the same but takes a long time and i have to rest every two or three fights as i need all my spells to mow those bastards down, but mostly it's because once i deplete that spell Aloth has that scatters all the mobs around with charm i'm basically fucked as the AI swarms by back line every single time and there's nothing else i can do to stop them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Iirc, you can get through it peacefully. There's like 3 ways to get inside and there's stuff to do there and people to talk to. Did you just murder your way through it? ;d

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't really get the comparison to Durlag's Tower - a dungeon I otherwise often compare the weak dungeons of PoE to. It's like apples and oranges. Durlag's is a grand, linear dungeon crawl. What's great about Raedric's is that it is a well-told story with multiple plot beats, optional side areas and many ways to go through the castle with missable, optional ways to resolve things. There's really nothing like it in the original Baldur's Gate.

The fights are also very good, I thought. I like the paladin led encounters on the battlements especially, and the Raedric fight is awesome on PotD.

Parabalus

Arcane
Almost done with the hold.

So this is the best dungeon in the game, huh?

It's not bad, but it ain't no Durlag's Tower, that's for sure. Not even remotely close. I also think i should have grabbed Kana before coming here as it's taking me too long to clear it. Every fight is the same but takes a long time and i have to rest every two or three fights as i need all my spells to mow those bastards down, but mostly it's because once i deplete that spell Aloth has that scatters all the mobs around with charm i'm basically fucked as the AI swarms by back line every single time and there's nothing else i can do to stop them.

You should rest at most once or twice for the entire hold. Are you running back to an inn for supplies?

It'll ruin the game, don't spam rest.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It even has a couple of great tie-ins later in the game where you return to the castle to finish the storyline under various circumstances (depending on how you handled the initial choices).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Same as with Fort Deadlight in Deadfire, they frontload the best dungeon right at the start while everything else is shitty until the DLCs.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I did all the quests i think? Snuck past the priests in the second floor, talked to the head priest, agreed to save his accolyte, then i talked to the lady necromancer, killed her 'cause i are Paladin (she asked me to kill the head priest but i refused), then went up to Raedric and i guess i could have done it right there but i decided to take a tour and clear the whole thing. Found his murdered wife, and i'm just killing everything in the hold and looting everything before getting back to him.

What else did i miss?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Iirc, you can get through it peacefully. There's like 3 ways to get inside and there's stuff to do there and people to talk to. Did you just murder your way through it? ;d

No i did it "proper" but then went back to murder everthing lmao. I mean, didn't you? Like you just left all that loot there?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember when they said in an interview that Raedric's Hold was one of the last areas and quests they did. By then they had perfected their process and practiced each part of it enough, hence the better quality.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sure, but I had to look it up to remember the location you were talking about because it is only 3 screens I think. 4 if you count the outside.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
All resources that went into "the endless path" mega-dungeon should've been put into freshening out the overworld. As it stands, "the endless path" adds very little while also feeling disjointed from the rest of the game progress wise.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Endless Paths is one of the worst and most superfluous dungeons in RPG history. Inexcusable and a clear example of Kickstarter incentives directly wasting resources on nonsense

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The worst dungeon in RPG history is the first dungeon in Planescape Torment.

No not that one. The real first dungeon.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
All resources that went into "the endless path" mega-dungeon should've been put into freshening out the overworld. As it stands, "the endless path" adds very little while also feeling disjointed from the rest of the game progress wise.
Yeah, I get that that the Endless Paths are supposed to be something of a challenge mode where they put you up against grueling combat encounters, but the combat isn't really Pillars strong point so making an entire quest chain and massive dungeon centered around it felt tedious and out of place.
I would have preferred it if they added more to the overworld instead and gave you more RP options. Such as introducing an alternate resolution to Berath's quest where you don't have to kill that elf and that dwarf, much like how you can spare the Sky Dragon and convince Hylea that it was the right choice, or a peaceful resolution to that quest where you either have to kill the baby or poison the father. Those quests felt very unsatisfying to me because they were so damn binary.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I guess I am content because I have still not played WM 1 or 2. Plenty of content left for me. CONTENT.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
but the combat isn't really Pillars strong point
If combat isn't its strong point (it is, but let's pretend it isn't), what is?
World, story, role playing options. It's a big and detailed world they made, full of neat questlines that do have consequences, and I found it interesting. In particular I liked the Disposition mechanic, which "enforces" role playing as it indicates to you what sort of character your PC is becoming and also influences other mechanics in the game, such as character interactions and the effects of some abilities.
The combat mechanics, on the other hand, I found to be rather tedious. It's more about using status effects to lock everything down and then nuking it rather than using positioning and cover. If you can't do that you die. Which is pretty low grade combat, imo.
I found Wasteland 2's or Shadowrun's combat system to be more interesting for that reason, as whilst you do have spells in Shadowrun, they are not as powerful as in Pillars and you still have to use conventional tactics.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The strongest aspect of PoE is its aesthetics. Fucking combat lol. Yeah it's really great rinse-repeating the same trash encounters over and over.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The combat is interesting because buffing all the time is gay and boring. I'm not sure how great it is in the end but it is something. I am glad it exists. Then again I am not a Dungeons and Dragons fanboy.

pomenitul

Arbiter
The Endless Paths of Od Nua wouldn't get shat on nearly as much if it weren't for the Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep comparisons (neither of which was in its base game). It's closer to Dragon's Eye in some ways.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Endless Paths of Od Nua wouldn't get shat on nearly as much if it weren't for the Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep comparisons (neither of which was in its base game). It's closer to Dragon's Eye in some ways.

I actually liked it. It was exactly what it set out to be: a long ass dungeon crawl with themes for each level as you descend to further dangers. Literally a classic dungeon crawl as promised. There are even multiple ways to handle the end boss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom