Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Logic Artists shutting down after Expeditions Rome, will transition to NFT/blockchain development

Jinn

Arcane
Sounds like he's somewhat hopeful for the potential continuation of the Expeditions series. Hopefully he remains a guiding force in its continued existence with THQ Nordic. So not all doom and gloom at least.

Very excited to continue from my demo save game in the full release of Rome after work tomorrow. Been ever increasingly craving to play more since I finished the demo last week.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
p2earn.jpg

Is anyone surprised that the 'BERGS are pushing this relentlessly?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I have a brother like this that spends all of his time trying to figure out how to make money. Any conversation with him will, no matter what, steer towards a money making scheme. I don't think these people understand just how much nobody wants to talk to them.

You should tell him nobody gets rich the honest way and either marry a rich old woman or embrace becoming a criminal

Fargus

Arcane
I assume someone else is going to support Expeditions: Rome after release when LA become NFT whores?

Rieser

Scholar
I assume someone else is going to support Expeditions: Rome after release when LA become NFT whores?

One would hope this has been in the pipelines for a while and that one of THQ's other studios is already engaged and working on it.

But I'm probably being fabulously optimistic now.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Who knows. Maybe Jonas and the rest of LA will join THQ Nordic and create a new studio under it. Those Nordic guys really like to make new studios.

(May or may not be related, but THQ Nordic created a new studio called Ashborne Games, with ex-Bohemia Interactive developers last year. They are making "a historical strategy title with RPG elements".)

Fargus

Arcane

One would hope this has been in the pipelines for a while and that one of THQ's other studios is already engaged and working on it.

So i'll be cautiously pessimistic then and just pirate it for the time being. Don't have much love for THQ Nordic and see no reason to support soon to be dead studio.

Shrimp

Arbiter

Vikings didn't receive DLC or expansion packs due to the game apparently not selling well enough to meet some unspecified goals stated in the contract with their investors. At least that's what I'm gathering from the replies on this old (2017) thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/445190/discussions/0/1473096694436181731/

THQ Nordic owns the Expeditions franchise and since I imagine the contracts to secure funding for Rome most likely were made before the NFT craze I wouldn't be surprised if it was made under similar circumstances.
Ie if the game sells well they would allocate funding for post-launch content rather than only providing basic support through bug fixes immediately after the launch. With that being said I have no idea if this means we should expect future instalments in the franchise. My immediate guess would be that it's also dependent on whether or not Rome ends up being a financial success.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Jonas just replied with a PR post, but confirms he's not on the Dynasty team.

Jonas said:
Benjin said:
Jonas said:
Not everyone who worked on Expeditions: Rome will join Dynasty.
Unless they want to find themselves out of a job, this is not the case
There are other jobs.

:salute:
It's gotta sting though, having the studio you founded first turning non-indie and selling their only franchise, only to be scrapped for spare manpower before your first publisher bankrolled game even releases.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jonas just replied with a PR post, but confirms he's not on the Dynasty team.

Jonas said:
Benjin said:
Jonas said:
Not everyone who worked on Expeditions: Rome will join Dynasty.
Unless they want to find themselves out of a job, this is not the case
There are other jobs.

:salute:
It's gotta sting though, having the studio you founded first turning non-indie and selling their only franchise, only to be scrapped for spare manpower before your first publisher bankrolled game even releases.

Probably. Maybe I should ask the man. Although, they're the ones who sold it. And maybe making the same game three times has made them pine after doing other stuff.

Terra

Cipher
Unfortunate news, but I'm not sure any of the Expeditions games were big enough sellers to keep them going indefinitely regardless. The first was a Kickstarter iirc, so right off the bat, most of your potential buyers are now backers, getting a (typically) reduced price key right out the gate. This is an unfortunate consequence of the KS model, hell, I only became aware of Conquistador via a cheapo indie bundle well after release and when I finally got around to playing it, I felt like I'd robbed the devs; such a great experience that it was. From that game, any potential sequel became a day one buy.

IIRC, Viking wasn't supposed to release in Early Access/two halves originally, but that fractured launch surely can't have helped the game's traction, I don't recall much fanfare accompanying the full release and while I enjoyed the game a lot, I did read recently that quite a bit of content was chopped from the endgame, which is also a bit of a downer. Good game, but the loot being spread all of the place in each area makes me hesitant to replay.

The (presumable) failure to hit their milestone's for the Divinity Fallen Heroes game for Larian can't have helped either, doubly so as name recognition could have brought some additional eyes to their own games.

And now, the company dies before it's final game is even really tested in the public arena. Sad, I saw Jonas mention that not all the LA staff have gone to Dynasty, so maybe we could see the series continue with some of the original guys, if THQ Nordic is feeling generous that is. I'm gutted personally, it's been a real sleeper hit of a series in my eyes and yet more proof that you can make a really great game, but that's no guarantee it'll sell enough to keep you in business.

Terra

Cipher
Seriously, so they launched it with just the Denmark campaign initially but not in early access... My memory is hazy on the matter but I'll take your word for it. Bad move regardless.

Larianshill

Arbiter
p2earn.jpg

Is anyone surprised that the 'BERGS are pushing this relentlessly?

Sorry, mister Isenberg, but every time someone says that he's making gigantic changes solely for my benefit, just so I can have free money, I just don't buy it. I begin having those weird thoughts, like "What is your angle?", "What will the free money cost me?", "How much more will you be getting?".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom