Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Logic Artists shutting down after Expeditions Rome, will transition to NFT/blockchain development

Terra

Cipher
Ah, that was it, there was Winter Holiday Closed Beta in late 2016 for the game, I'm thinking of that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm going to forget they ever existed but i don't blame them for going after the big bucks.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if every promising game studio moved to the mass market but after releasing 2/3 good games and a masterpiece among them.

The only problem is they failed to make something great with both Conquistadors and Vikings, they were close but failed and as they've reach the extend of their skills, they're moving on and I don't believe Rome's engine will be an improvement but rather embracing the decline.

Delterius

Arcane
p2earn.jpg
people will try literally anything before implementing UBI

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And maybe making the same game three times has made them pine after doing other stuff.

They were doing other stuff with Divinity: Fallen Heroes and dropped it to make the third iteration of Expedition. Maybe Jonas will go back to that? :lol:

Alphons

Cipher
Damn, looked more into Dynasty and I feel sad for Jonas.

Logic Artists was founded by him, Juan Ortega and Ali Emek in 2011.

Dynasty was founded by Ortega, Emek and Cem Ercan (guy managing their studio in Istanbul since they opened it in 2019). So they poached 90% of the team and left Jonas on ice.

Edit: OP of the Steam thread thanked Jonas for answering, but kept the thread open. Some retards argued over covid and conspiracies for a few pages until THQ mod locked the thread.
IMG-20220120-155908.jpg

In the spoiler below I'll be posting everything I found on Dynasty:

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
How any game company doesn't see every government coming down on NFTs and any kind of alternate currencies like osmium bricks once they become remotely threatening to their control of the populace is beyond me. What makes people think governments who already tax their citizens spending and income won't want a piece of the pie when their citizens are mindless whales blowing cash on imaginary ownership of some 3d models and or images?

How any game company doesn't see every government coming down on NFTs and any kind of alternate currencies like osmium bricks once they become remotely threatening to their control of the populace is beyond me. What makes people think governments who already tax their citizens spending and income won't want a piece of the pie when their citizens are mindless whales blowing cash on imaginary ownership of some 3d models and or images?

They will just move into another grift. What they extract from the people in the meantime is theirs.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Should I even buy Expeditions: Rome now and give those bastards my money?
The developer responses make it seem like it's mostly a separate decision taken by the founders/higher ups (with the exception of Jonas Waever, apparently?)
Ultimately it's your own choice, but my own - potentially naive - stance is that if Rome ends up being a success it will at the very least notify THQN that there remains an interest in the Expeditions franchise.

For what it's worth I still intend to play the game since I profoundly enjoyed the two previous instalments. Knowing the fate of the studio does make it a bit melancholic knowing that I am probably playing their swan song game, but when I start playing the game I'll try to suppress those thoughts and approach it like I would with any other RPG.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I wonder if the NFT bros are announcing this now to sabotage the Expeditions Rome release, due to some internal drama or something like that.

It has the potential to hurt sales if people perceive the game as already abandoned

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The sole thought of what a high-quality NFT game might be makes me sick. I hope they fail and lose everything they invested in this project. The idea of a game trying to sell me NFTs makes me cringe in a way I didn't think possible.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The sole thought of what a high-quality NFT game might be makes me sick. I hope they fail and lose everything they invested in this project.

Don't worry. You remember all those companies that invested millions into a possible WoW killer years ago? Neither do I

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can imagine they had a huge fight over NFTs, with Jonas eventually saying fuck off and the NFT lovers there forming the new company with dollar-bills in their eyes. I really hope they fail though. NFTs can fuck off right back to hell where it was conceived.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Meh, they created 3 good RPG for us, that is more than we got from some other game studios. It was a good ride, thanks for all the fishes. :salute:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Should I even buy Expeditions: Rome now and give those bastards my money?
The developer responses make it seem like it's mostly a separate decision taken by the founders/higher ups (with the exception of Jonas Waever, apparently?)
Ultimately it's your own choice, but my own - potentially naive - stance is that if Rome ends up being a success it will at the very least notify THQN that there remains an interest in the Expeditions franchise.

For what it's worth I still intend to play the game since I profoundly enjoyed the two previous instalments. Knowing the fate of the studio does make it a bit melancholic knowing that I am probably playing their swan song game, but when I start playing the game I'll try to suppress those thoughts and approach it like I would with any other RPG.
Ok I'll buy the damn game;

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Even if you accept "play to earn" as a reasonable thing, there's nothing whatsoever to gain by having NFTs in games over just a centralized database of ownership. The people who control the game servers also controls what items players can have in the game, so it's going to be centralized either way.

The only reason we're seeing a push for NFTs in games is that these scammers hope that clueless whales heard enough propaganda to think that NFT=big bucks.

NFTs in games is the F2P microtransaction equivalent of DRM. Seems as stupid as it is abhorrent. Grifters are desperate to create some kind of artificial scarcity that they can skim off. For this strategy to succeed, they will have to create a platform of addiction, rather than a game. Expect more "Kardashian fashion games" that prey on the weak psychology of minors. I suppose Fortnite's model is the same thing. "Play to earn" is just a ruse to delude gamers into buying in. They hope to make twitchers into their unwitting salesmen by middle-manning the NFTs like some primary dealer.

I am suddenly reminded of M2M schemes, like Herbalife, where the incentive is to always find the greater fool.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you want to play to earn, become a professional esports player in Counter Strike, Age of Empires, or whatever where there's major tournaments with prize money and you can have a Twitch channel where viewers give you donations etc.

But for that, you actually have to get gud at a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom