Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Logic Artists shutting down after Expeditions Rome, will transition to NFT/blockchain development

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Chinese gold farmers in MMORPGs also play to earn though.

And they provide a service people demand because grinding in MMORPGs is basically working but less pleasant than many RL jobs.

Some people are gonna be making money in games but I'm not sure who and I'm not sure how NFTs factor into this. I guess you can sell a sword with a unique skin for more money.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
What a bunch of complete morons. Their Rome game releases today and it's possible that everyone angry about it will rush to buy the game and then reviewbomb them. They should've waited 2 more weeks.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What a bunch of complete morons. Their Rome game releases today and it's possible that everyone angry about it will rush to buy the game and then reviewbomb them. They should've waited 2 more weeks.

They're probably too small of a studio/franchise to get much traction unless a reddit post gets out or something. Still, probably should've waited until after launch week.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You think they give a fuck? They want NFT shekels, nigger :). Expeditions is not their problem anymore.

The way I understand it, these people left Logic Artists and founded/joined a new company, leaving their old one in the dust. They're no longer affiliated with LA, THQ, or anything else.
Meanwhile a handful of people stayed at Logic Artists/THQ Nordic and will fix the bugs of Expeditions Rome, and probably hope for THQ to give them new co-workers so they can keep making normal games for normal people rather than Nigger Fleecing Tricks intended to steal money from gullible fools.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh wow wtf.

I guess if the game sells well, THQ Nordic will find some other developer to continue the series. Notice that creative director Jonas Waever isn't mentioned in the article.

Honestly, this should be the in the news subforum.

Tomorrow.

THQ Nordic hiring randoms to do old franchises has had a terrible track record so far, whenever I see them talking about doing it lately I just lose all interest, you know it's gonna be bad

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oh wow wtf.

I guess if the game sells well, THQ Nordic will find some other developer to continue the series. Notice that creative director Jonas Waever isn't mentioned in the article.

Tomorrow.

THQ Nordic hiring randoms to do old franchises has had a terrible track record so far, whenever I see them talking about doing it lately I just lose all interest, you know it's gonna be bad
I don't know about the internals of logic artists, but in theory the main people who left were the business people, while the creative director (Jonas) is staying, at least in theory. Is Avonaeon staying or going?

Shrimp

Arbiter
Oh wow wtf.

Tomorrow.

I don't know about the internals of logic artists, but in theory the main people who left were the business people, while the creative director (Jonas) is staying, at least in theory. Is Avonaeon staying or going?
The articles make it sound like there simply won't be a place to stay, so I'm not sure if it matters if they'll be 'staying' unless they also found/join a new studio.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh wow wtf.

Tomorrow.

Avonaeon left Logic Artists long ago.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oh wow wtf.

Tomorrow.

I had this niggling feeling that was the case, but I ignored it.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Oh wow wtf.

Tomorrow.

I left in early 2020. Worked on Rome mostly during pre-production before being moved to Fallen Heroes. I still keep in touch with Jonas and some of the other guys at LA. Was with them from the very beginning, so it was a bit sad to hear it was shuttering.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Oh wow wtf.

Tomorrow.

I left in early 2020. Worked on Rome mostly during pre-production before being moved to Fallen Heroes. I still keep in touch with Jonas and some of the other guys at LA. Was with them from the very beginning, so it was a bit sad to hear it was shuttering.

How do you feel about NFTs?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Let's see if I understood right, NFT scam games are games made for the purpose of turning its players into chinese world of warcraft gold farmers?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
My two cents is that NFTs are something to hook investors in.

"We make RPGs." is a snoozefest pitch to investors.

"We create an interactive marketplace for users to buy, sell and trade non-fungible tokens" sounds like $$$$ to investors.

:decline:

Andnjord

Arcane
I love that their pitch isn't "we're making X type of gameplay with Y type of of story based on Z franchise/setting", but literally just "we're making a game based around a fancyful pyramid scheme". Truly, those are people driven by their passion for the medium and its creative potential. What a time to be alive. :lol:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just looking at the codename of this project (Han) you know what market they're targeting.

I dunno, China may not be cracking down on them just yet, but I wouldn't be investing solid money into it just yet. https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Caixin/NFTs-in-China-and-their-uncertain-future-An-in-depth-report

On this inevitable path of digital transformation, there lies a fundamental problem -- how do we protect our property in a digital world? Previously, creations could be easily copied and appropriated without permission.

Wtf lol. People are really invested into turning jpgs and pngs into "property."

WTF is an NFT game? I own bitcoin, Etherium, Solona and Polygon (matic) and have no fucking idea what an NFT game is

You know that really cool weapon skin you've got? Well, if you pay the devs $5, it can be yours, totally unique, forever! And you can trade it to your friends, or hold onto it to see if it appreciates in value.

Because we don't make games anymore, we're just a dumb version of stock market now!

:deathclaw:

How any game company doesn't see every government coming down on NFTs and any kind of alternate currencies like osmium bricks once they become remotely threatening to their control of the populace is beyond me. What makes people think governments who already tax their citizens spending and income won't want a piece of the pie when their citizens are mindless whales blowing cash on imaginary ownership of some 3d models and or images?
aren't NFT's built on the back of ethrium and crypto's and in the US at least crypto earnings are taxed, so I would think this is already covered. at least in the US, maybe not though, I don't pretend to know very much about tax BS...

Gradenmayer

Learned
So if it's NFT i can officially just "save as" games now?
Funny thing is that it doesn't even say that you own a picture in the first place. People bought into that 'ownership token' bullshit without even understand what it actually is. It's actually is literally nothing.
:deathclaw:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
In MMORPGs in game gold can be converted into real life dollars.

So anything with an in game gold value has a cash value as well.

This could be resources like ingots, houses, or powerful items but you can also sell rare drops that are purely cosmetic for large amounts of money.

For example, if you have the only plate helm on the entire shard that is red instead of gray, someone will pay a lot for it, way more than you might think.

So in that sense your in game items already have value and it make sense for the developers to help you sell them and take a cut, instead of banning you for selling them. Same with selling your character.

But making this explicit is probably going to have a detrimental effect on gameplay at least at first. And there are gonna be a lot of games that either fail or are scams, so people lose their investment if they fail to cash out early enough.

Eventually it might become a common feature in MMOs though.

(Not endorsing it, just saying)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom