Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Also I wouldnt necessarily write off the stronk womyn as SJW stuff (though I guess it is that in this case) - the female characters of this sort were present in the fantasy stories since forever, not to push some feminist agenda, but to give the audience some material to fap to while reading/watching/playing. The whole "amazon princess" archetype is a widespread fetish after all, regardless of whether the reader/viewer/player wants her to ride him hard or bend her over nearest table to tame her.
Thank you anon! You are a good anon! It was from coomer motive anon! It was!

Larianshill

Arbiter
mIPZp6j.png

WZAx5Fb.png

Some of the portraits are just

Well fuck me, despite all my aversions I got it, if only to see with mine own eyes how awful it really is. I guess somebody has to jump in the sword/gladius. I already feel I'll regret it and I know I'll possibly be pissed by the grotesque anachronistic depicition of historical figures and attitudes. But on the other hand there is still the chance that I'm utterly wrong and it turns out to become my new begoat (best game of all times) so let's see...
And I'd like to add that by spending the money for the game there is less to spend for booze left. So the game will at least be good for my liver.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are no fantastical elements in the Expeditions games tho. They're mostly made up stories based on real history and suffused with currentyear cultural sentiments (altho less than a typical Kwan game).
In Viking you can literally find Excalibur.
Excalibur Is an ancient Celtic tale by the time of the 800s, why not. Someone made a sword and called it Excalibur. Is cool.
Except that it's literally Excalibur. Have you played that quest? You go to Avalon and take the sword from King Arthur's tomb. The sword judges you worthy or unworthy of wielding it, depending on the progress you made in your campaign:

sup.png

If you get judged unworthy, the entire island attacks you, and you get judged worthy only if you conquered everything that's conquerable in the game. There's no way to justify it without considering it supernatural in nature.

Except that it's literally Excalibur. Have you played that quest? You go to Avalon and take the sword from King Arthur's tomb. The sword judges you worthy or unworthy of wielding it, depending on the progress you made in your campaign:

sup.png

If you get judged unworthy, the entire island attacks you, and you get judged worthy only if you conquered everything that's conquerable in the game. There's no way to justify it without considering it supernatural in nature.
Game does have cute ghosts anons so it is mythical mystical game anon! It is! I do want cute ghost wifes anon! I do!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
honestly i find it kind of funny that people still complain about stuff like stronk soldier womyn when the previous two games in the series had the same thing

if you were expecting anything else you are deluded

Shrimp

Arbiter
honestly i find it kind of funny that people still complain about stuff like stronk soldier womyn when the previous two games in the series had the same thing

Romaboos simply work on a whole other level

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Not that it's overly important given the abundance of lolwhat elements in the game, but the 'stronk soldier womyn' is a separate issue. It's the 'stronk military leader womyn' that is possibly the most ridiculously antithetic thing to a Roman or a pseudo-Roman setting. An outlier made into a commonplace thing (the conquistadora/assorted female crew) or a dubious archaeological interpretation (the shieldmaiden) do not even come close by a long shot. It's a pity that, due to their pursuit of NFT, we won't able to enjoy their Expeditions: Sausagemaker, where you play a successful pork merchant in the 7th century Umayyad Caliphate.

I'm actually almost curious to find out what kind of outlandish cursus honorum brought a patrician woman to the rank of legatus (in the developers' minds, of course). Because I'm sure they bothered to look up how someone got around to commanding a legion in the 1st century BC.

Last edited:
Well one thing they get right is the latin pronounciation in the english voice acting. That's something that genuinely impresses me. I also shortly listened into the German version which is horrible as always. They seem to have no clue at all about how these words and names are spoken properly. It's all over the place.

edit: Caesar reminds me of Wesley Crusher. Disgusting smartass. And why the hell does he fight with an arcus and not with a proper gladius? What a dolt. Thank Iove he won't stay for long.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Not only that but like what RPG doesn't ? The Witcher series ?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
My game has downloaded, I'll jump in sometime after work.

I'm just going to start again rather than continue one of my demo characters as they've re-done the Archelaus fight and I want to see how it's changed.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Reached Asia Minor. I'm liking the RPG parts of the game, but legion/camp management is tiresome, and will definitely only get more tiresome.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tsk tsk, they encrypted the game's data files. Good thing I grabbed the portraits from the demo.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
mIPZp6j.png

WZAx5Fb.png

Yeah, this was my question. Not buying it then.

It's not that they're women, it's that they're niggers.

Fargus

Arcane
Yeah, this was my question. Not buying it then.

It's not that they're women, it's that they're niggers.

Lmao https://steamcommunity.com/app/987840/discussions/0/3196993949748038032/

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's not autism Infinitron. Or do you think you'd be ok with people trying to pretend black people were Jews? How would that go?

Oh right, it already exists. They call themselves "Black Israelites" and they hate actual Jewish people because they've become convinced that you and everyone else in Israel are the fakes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom