Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
rather stop expecting games from people who never made really historical games to be historical but whatever gives you more reasons to screech

"Mang that new Bioware RPG is really trash"

"Stop screeching bigot, can't expect someone who's never made a good RPG to make a good RPG, :eyeroll:"

wow i am very shocked and surprised that the new bioware rpg is trash how could they ever possibly make trash completely unexpected

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
wow i am very shocked and surprised that the new bioware rpg is trash how could they ever possibly make trash completely unexpected

Dude, that's the problem don't you think? People are not complaining about wahmen legionaires because they're surprised such a thing exists in a currentyear game. That's YOUR spin.

They're complaining because it's retarded.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Dude, that's the problem don't you think? People are not complaining about wahmen legionaires because they're surprised such a thing exists in a currentyear game. That's YOUR spin.

it's both

they are (rightly) complaining that it's retarded, but specifically they are shocked that it appears in a historical game when logic artists have a l w a y s been like that

you can complain about slipping on ice and busting your bum, but to be perplexed that there's ice on the street in january is just stupid

Jinn

Arcane
I have a feeling the game is broken. There is a number of cases where you're supposed to send praetorians on a task, but the game won't let you. One of them is necessary to progress the main quest. How did that get past the QA? Steam forums indicate that I'm not the only one having this issue.

If this is in reference to the earlier picture you posted where you couldn't bring along certain party members on that mission, these missions are designed that way so that you can only take one of your close companions. The rest are supposed to be the guys you recruit in the camp. It's not really explained well in the game, but what you need to do is go recruit some more praetorians at your camp and bring them along. I think it's meant to emphasize that your character trusts these people to lead their own men, and also to train up alternate "non-companion" soldier to flesh out your party.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, but if they're all retarded, then you're not supposed to take the premise seriously. And if you're not supposed to take the premise seriously, then just laugh at it.

As far as I'm aware, they never really promised something serious.

And besides, something serious is A Legionary's Life.

Not sure why all the butthurt. I'm far more Latin than many people and I'm not jumping. I mean, at the beginning of the game you're helping one of the most proeminent men in the history of the Roman Empire, to... get retrieve his journal. Really... ? C'mon... why would I get assblasted?

Last edited:
Hmm... the former Gladiator Bestia tells me in one sentence that he was born in Mauretania "but I'm a Roman citizen" - and in the next that he doesn't know what an Imperator and a Consul is... strange "Roman Citizen" if you ask me... reminds me a bit on the Avatar in Ultima IX ("What's a Paladin?").

edit: Oh and by the way: If they are not able to use latin voice acting I'd prefer it they used a neutral form of english instead of different dialects (Roman legionnaires talking like British worker class doesn't appeal to me very much). Maybe I'll deactivate speech completely.

edit2: Why the hell is the main part of the Legion camp full of people and the extensive outer parts you can see are utterly devoid of any live?

edit2.5: And the fact that everybody seems to wear his gladius on the left side either implies that everybody in this game is left handed - or that the devs didn't properly study their material. Roman legionnaires used to wear the gladius on the side they draw it (as for not to disturb their scutum by drawing it).

edit3: See, that's me. I'm still in the very first tutorial parts of the game and already have tons of things to nick about.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
They exist in legends, much like the Amazons or Jesus. Whether or not those legends are based on actual reality is another matter.

There is proofs prehistoric ladies were as tough as males, it changed when mankind settled and men kept meat for themselves while women only ate cereals and dairy products.

And they were female warriors here and there. Many women took arms when they had to, like in Kurdistan not long ago.
Jesus probably existed, i'm not an expert on the matter though and i'm not saying you should kneel before his effigy but the man once lived, just like amazons and shieldmaidens.

Jinn

Arcane
Just finished up my launch day 6 hour binge session, which with my demo time brings me to about 9 hours total with the game. Just a ton of fun and really addictive. My suspicion that I had commented on in my demo impression post seems to feel accurate to me: they've managed to meld the elements they've always tried to pack into the prior games in a much more seamless way with this iteration, despite having to trim off a bit of the complexity here and there in favor of a more cohesive whole. Every encounter has been interesting, map design has been top notch, challenge is good on the high difficulties, and there are certainly more options in combat than there have ever been in the series. Equipment progression has been surprisingly impactful and satisfying, with really nice unique weapons and armors coming along at the perfect pace. Quest design has also been great, with multiple and tough decisions in every instance. Haven't encountered any bugs yet.

Don't really have that much time to post, nor do I want to put down any solid opinions yet this early in the game, but all I can say is the game has kept me entirely engaged for 6 hours straight and it was difficult to stop when I had to tonight. It feels like it's going to be my favorite of the Expeditions series if it keeps up the momentum.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
are you also going to stomp your foot and declare a very determined statement that you will not be buying the new bethesda game because it doesnt feature turn-based combat
Dude, just say you like the game and that you don't care about the fact that it's a nigger-filled Diversity advertisement by a bunch of moneygrubbing NFT shysters.

Asking the RPGCodex not to complain about a game is pointless because odds are some you like very much is a piece of shit. :M

you can complain about slipping on ice and busting your bum, but to be perplexed that there's ice on the street in january is just stupid
I don't think anyone is perplexed or shocked by it.

To keep with the weather analogy, it's the same as saying it's going to rain. Both to warn others, and just to complain about it. No one is surprised at the idea of water dripping from the sky any more than they are some woke dev put Africans or woman soldiers in his game.

Last edited:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Hmm... the former Gladiator Bestia tells me in one sentence that he was born in Mauretania "but I'm a Roman citizen" - and in the next that he doesn't know what an Imperator and a Consul is... strange "Roman Citizen" if you ask me... reminds me a bit on the Avatar in Ultima IX ("What's a Paladin?").

edit2.5: And the fact that everybody seems to wear his gladius on the left side either implies that everybody in this game is left handed - or that the devs didn't properly study their material. Roman legionnaires used to wear the gladius on the side they draw it (as for not to disturb their scutum by drawing it).
Mauritania did not become a province until 44 AD (and even then, provincials were non-citizens by default). So here we have a barbarian who became a gladiator, one of the most socially reviled professions together together with all kind of entertainers, but who is also somehow a Roman citizen. Well done. Cannot wait to see what kind of fantascientific social path he followed to do that. And I presume he's the player's retinue, which is another gem, since an aristocrat associating with a gladiator or a former one was a big, big, big no-no. So you can be a patrician woman who is a military leader (an abomination) who chums it with a barbarian former gladiator (another abomination).

I mean, my suspension of disbelief is well trained in shrugging off pretty hard blows, but here they seem to be trying to grind it to dust.

P.S. Actually officers from centurion up wore the gladius on the opposite side (left) than legionaries.

Last edited:
Not sure about this... but I seem to remember there was the possibility for a Gladiator - or any slave for that - to become a free man if left into freedom by his owner? And by that getting Roman civil rights?

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Not sure about this... but I seem to remember there was the possibility for a Gladiator - or any slave for that - to become a free man if left into freedom by his owner? And by that getting Roman civil rights?
No, if he was a slave gladiator he could get the rudis (that wooden sword you see in the Gladiator movie) and become a libertus, but not a Roman citizen (the sons of a libertus were Roman citizens, but only within territories which enjoyed Roman citizenship, which at the time the game is set meant basically Italy, or most of it). And having been a gladiator would remain a big social stain. For a barbarian, the only path to Roman citizenship was to enlist as an auxiliary and complete a 25 year military service, but that as far as we know happened regularly only by Claudius' time (1st century AD). He could then re-enlist as a legionary if he wished to.

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
i have a book from osprey that says that retired gladiators became instructors/owners of their own schools.
and that retired gladiators (if i remember correctly during the imperial times) sometimes got back for a game of 2.

Codex Year of the Donut
zwYDKZl.png

XKxfe5D.png

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This is why I come to the Codex. Within the span of a few pages, I learn everything I need to know about the game to justify not buying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom