Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

I just wanted to play video games.....

Anyway, dropped. I don't have the time or nerves for this woke nonsense anymore.

I have a thick skin for wokeness in games(by Codex standards atleast) and even I found that ridiculous.

If it was just a few niggers but 90% of the available centurions being black is just absurd.
zwYDKZl.png

XKxfe5D.png

I already love this game hahaha
5E2B578D89A2869893B649AAD40B5F8C41CB88CD

F5DBE7C27BDE5813812BCD6E0131363D5AAD743C

4FF86BE0BB7F0A0D79120FB41CE16FA056C9C377

Codex Year of the Donut

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Fucking fake... You edited that shit you liar. There is only one black preset in the entire centurion/Praetorian selection preset. and not one woman.
They're screenshots from my game, cope more you gigantic cocksucker.

here is my selection

that's not even the same screen you tard, here's what I get right after a recruit refresh:

Must be RNG then, because I got no portraits like that , if so then I apologize for calling you a liar

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's procedural generation. They should probably tweak the percentages so that the average praetorian is more historically representative (although it would make for some uncomfortable patch notes). I think the black portraits were added very late in development since the original demo release didn't have them. Bestia Tabat is the only actual black NPC in the game, or at least the only one important enough to have a portrait.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the available dudes are obviously random, but the selections in those pics are full on hopw roewur ne, holy shit

Fargus

Arcane
looks like a quick edit of original portraits to produce some blackface abominations :D

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I think the black portraits were added very late in development since the original demo release didn't have them. Bestia Tabat is the only actual black NPC in the game, or at least the only one important enough to have a portrait.

What made you think that? Perhaps all the black dudes with hair that would make even 80s pimps jealous?

Codex Year of the Donut
Name your character Shlomo Goldstein, half of legion is black, another - women. BLACKED.COM!
I didn't seem to get any women recruits in any of my refreshes.
Seems like one of the few areas they cared about realism was trying to hammer home the "wow being a woman sucked" theme, but it became hilarious because of how shitty the female companion story is.
Technically I should be putting female in spoiler tags but fucking lol

thesecret1

Arcane
Was gonna ask if I should play this if Vikings was too woke for me to stomach, but I guess I have the answer already

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And obviously, they purposely integrated black Romans but no Germanic or Celtic Romans to be found when both of them largely outnumbered everything else.

Well the game does start decades after Rome had established a presence in Africa by conquering Carthage, but before the invasion of Gaul.

Codex Year of the Donut
And obviously, they purposely integrated black Romans but no Germanic or Celtic Romans to be found when both of them largely outnumbered everything else.

Well the game does start decades after Rome had established a presence in Africa by conquering Carthage, but before the invasion of Gaul.
but it would have been after the conquest of most of the Iberian peninsula, which was full of celtic peoples

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Gallia Cisalpina was conquered during 2nd century BC, and Gallia Narbonensis become a Roman province in 121 BC.

At least make the goddam effort of opening a wikipedia page.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Gallia Cisalpina was conquered during 2nd century BC, and Gallia Narbonensis become a Roman province in 121 BC.

Yeah I know, but those people would be Romanized and on account of being white, might not look that different from "regular" Romans. I did think maybe the light-skinned, hobbit-looking praetorian from the portrait gallery (second row) was meant to represent that element:

ENcugBM.png

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Yeah I know, but those people would be Romanized and on account of being white, might not look that different from "regular" Romans. I did think maybe the light-skinned, hobbit-looking praetorian from the portrait gallery (second row) was meant to represent that element:
No, you don't know. Romanized doesn't mean that people two provinces that were mostly Celtic all of the sudden would all become dark-haired, tanned and short in the span of a generation or two. So recruits from North Africa or Egypt should also look not that different from "regular" Romans on account of "Romanization" too, right?

The Celtic phenotype would have been far, far more common in the army composition than the African one (no, neither Numidians/Carthaginians nor Egyptians looked like Sub-Saharian), which at this point in Roman history was an exotic occurrence even among slaves (mostly Nubians coming from south of Egypt), never mind among auxiliaries. Among proper legionaries, it's just laughable. Among officers, well...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
OK. I don't disagree that the game's random portrait algorithm is bad and they could probably throw in some more ginger-looking guys for good measure. Just explaining why you wouldn't have legionaries who look like, say, the German auxiliaries from Barbarians.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
OK. I don't disagree that the game's random portrait algorithm is bad and they could probably throw in some more ginger-looking guys for good measure. Just explaining why you wouldn't have legionaries who look like, say, the German auxiliaries from Barbarians.
Celtic and Germanic auxiliaries were really appreciated especially as cavalry, since the Romans had pratically no tradition as horsemen. And auxiliaries in general had quite a lot of leeway when it came to fighting with their traditional gear (and they were not subject to the same kind of discipline as Roman legionaries), and cavalry even more so (since the Roman wouldn't really have much of their own to replace their equipment). So Germanic cavalry auxiliaries would look pretty barbaric most of the time.

By the way, elite Celtic auxiliaries would have looked in part Roman only because during these timess it was the Roman legionaries who copied 90% of Gallic gear (lorica hamata, shield and the more advanced types of helmets), plus the hispanic gladius. This is a good illustration (Caesar's conquest of Gaul):
sqwwdcxeswdce.jpg

The Gallic horseman in the centre (a noble, the only ones who could afford ringmail) is basically identical to a Roman legionary, a part from the spatha instead of the gladius and the bracae (trousers). The half-naked Gauls, if they were auxiliaries, wouldn't have looked that much different from what we see in the illustration: there was no much point for Rome in wasting resources and training with troops whose loyalty had not been tested, and in case of cavalry, who had better cavarly skills and equipment than Roman trainers or armories could provide.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom