Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Gruncheon

Savant
historical accuracy =/= historical plausibility

Regardless of whether or not shield maidens existed (they didn't), my suspension of disbelief isn't shattered if I see one. Same thing can't be said about many things in this game

jdqdusj2cdh01.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
I've had a single black praetorian portrait in my barracks selections so far in 9 hours of play. It's RNG and rusty's clearly is fucked up somehow. Yes, there probably shouldn't be a single one in the first place, but goddamn the drama boys. At least you got something new to be outraged about.

Modron

Arcane
IMO Origins was more consistently woke than Odyssey even if it wasn't as laughably woke in moments don't think I'll ever bother with further entries into that series. Peaked at 2 and has been steadily declining since 4.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Spreading blacks everywhere isn't woke. Woke meant showing social problems in society. Painting US black as abusers of system and criminals is woke. Throwing black, yellow, brown into every movie isn't.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
That's from Assassin's Creed Odyssey, not Expeditions Rome of course.
What's the difference? The same agenda is at play.

Don't even try to pretend this isn't all a very coordinated and very deliberate attempt to rob white people of their history and normalize demographic replacement/ethnic cleansing.

anM1QYV_700b.jpg

Last edited:
Mauritania did not become a province until 44 AD (and even then, provincials were non-citizens by default). So here we have a barbarian who became a gladiator, one of the most socially reviled professions together together with all kind of entertainers, but who is also somehow a Roman citizen. Well done. Cannot wait to see what kind of fantascientific social path he followed to do that. And I presume he's the player's retinue, which is another gem, since an aristocrat associating with a gladiator or a former one was a big, big, big no-no. So you can be a patrician woman who is a military leader (an abomination) who chums it with a barbarian former gladiator (another abomination).

This is not that simple. Good, popular gladiators had a celebrity status. Many free people, not always only those who were poor, were becoming gladiators out of their own will. There were cases of patrician daughters falling in love with gladiators and then running away together. Gladiators could become rich and famous, even if their formal position in society was low. Few patricians had used gladiators as bodyguards.

Famous, retired gladiator getting a citizenship status seems very unlikely, I agree. The question would be if a popular retired gladiator would even want to be citizen because he already had all he wanted.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Mauritania did not become a province until 44 AD (and even then, provincials were non-citizens by default). So here we have a barbarian who became a gladiator, one of the most socially reviled professions together together with all kind of entertainers, but who is also somehow a Roman citizen. Well done. Cannot wait to see what kind of fantascientific social path he followed to do that. And I presume he's the player's retinue, which is another gem, since an aristocrat associating with a gladiator or a former one was a big, big, big no-no. So you can be a patrician woman who is a military leader (an abomination) who chums it with a barbarian former gladiator (another abomination).

This is not that simple. Good, popular gladiators had a celebrity status. Many free people, not always only those who were poor, were becoming gladiators out of their own will. There were cases of patrician daughters falling in love with gladiators and then running away together. Gladiators could become rich and famous, even if their formal position in society was low. Few patricians had used gladiators as bodyguards.

Famous, retired gladiator getting a citizenship status seems very unlikely, I agree. The question would be if a popular retired gladiator would even want to be citizen because he already had all he wanted.
The celebrity status you are talking about is something from the imperial times, when circenses represented the main obsession for the destitute plebs. And it was celebrity status among the plebs. The matrons sexing it up with gladiators was exactly because of the change in morals made it for some of them attractive to have sex with the most despicables for maximum kinkiness. Patricians mostly employed slaves as bodyguards, which says quite a bit about the social status of gladiators employed as such.

Here we are talking about a 1st century BC Mauritanian barbarian that somehow goes from slave? gladiator to Roman citizen (without going through the 25 years as auxiliary) and, from what I can surmise: a Roman legionary? / Roman officer? / retinue member (which is not at all the same as bodyguard)?

We are still not in the times of famous and wealthy gladiators, we're basically in the years (or a few years removed from) Spartacus' revolt (which started from gladiators' schools). Roman citizenship would have been attractive at the very least because of tax exemptions (which became less and less as long as Roman citizens became more and more).

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played for some 12 hours so far:

- game has way too many niggers, wish someone would mod this (you can just reset the preatorian recruits through the camp management until you get selection that doesnt look like it was drawn from Bronx or something though, it just requires a bit of extra effort)
- pacification missions are a bit hit and miss (the one with Roman deserters was utter bullshit, others like stealing the trophy for an athletic race or burning the wood stockpile were OK)
- the legion combat is a bit simplistic, but serviceable (wish there was little more for the player to do then just selecting commander and strategems)
- fights are fairly difficult and tense on the second highest difficulty, good stuff in general combat-wise
- crafting and camp economy/legion management are OK
- story is enjoyable so far (I am currently wrapping up the Asia Minor campaign), some of the characters are fairly cool

Generally I would say 8/10, certainly better than Viking, worth the price.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Got to the final battle of the first act. It's pretty gruelling, had to leave it unfinished for the time being. If I had to say one thing about this game, it would be this - the most tiresome battle in Rome is more fun than the best Viking has to offer.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Can anyone tell me where to find the pacification mission for Troas? It's a small province so I can't understand where it's hiding...

Larianshill

Arbiter
Go talk to one of the two gayboys in your camp, while your legion is in Troas. He'll give you the quest. That's the way it will work for every pacification mission.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
At least one DLC is coming: https://www.pcgamesn.com/expeditions-rome/dlc

The rights to the Expeditions series have been with publisher THQ Nordic since 2018. A representative for THQ Nordic confirms for us via email that “a group of core members from Logic Artists formed a new studio called Dynasty Studios late last year, wholly independent from THQ Nordic. Expeditions: Rome will therefore be the last title in the series developed by Logic Artists in its current/former team composition.”

However, that doesn’t mean that the devs are simply dropping Expeditions: Rome as soon as it launches. “We can confirm there will be more Expeditions: Rome content in the coming months in the form of at least one DLC pack, and additional support regarding any technical issues with the game or its upcoming DLC.”

Dynasty Studios and its blockchain tech are not involved with THQ Nordic or the Expeditions series. “Expeditions: Rome does not include any kind of NFT and has no links to the blockchain. It’s just a great CRPG, and part of its original development team has decided to move on to a new adventure with Dynasty Studios.”

Alphons

Cipher
a group of core members from Logic Artists formed a new studio called Dynasty Studios late last year

That conflicts with their LinkedIns which state that they formed Dynasty in early 2021 (Emek and Ercan started in January, while Ortega in February).

The only founder of Dynasty that no longer works at Logic Artists is Emek, as he announced on his Twitter that he quit the same day that venturebeat article was published (December 21st)

What were their plans? Were they trying to make another studio without Jonas and late last year one of them (probably Ercan, as he's listed as blockchain enthusiast and crypto investor in their About Us section) had an idea to do NFTs? How did they get so many LA devs on board and 5 millions in funding?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only founder of Dynasty that no longer works at Dynasty is Emek, as he announced on his Twitter that he quit the same day that venturebeat article was published (December 21st)

? Where do you see that?

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
the available dudes are obviously random, but the selections in those pics are full on hopw roewur ne, holy shit
Not this one at least. Since it's the same one already posted on this thread.
Ph1IrS4.jpg

It's even labeled as SPECIAL RECRUIT that will NEVER GO AWAY and can't dismiss him. Infact think I accidentally already recruited him once and gave him the boot only for him appear recruitable again which wont happen with any other guy so far! :D

Fake edit: If you hire and dismiss someone, they all appear as special recruits. :o Welp, that would have been too funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom