Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1) There are no tiered/staggered defenses like in Shogun 2. Come to think of it, there are no defenses to begin with at all. Did they completely do away with walls and gates? Can't say I'll miss them tbh. I suspect they couldn't figure out how to make them work and scrapped them entirely.
I have no idea about Shogun 2, but WH3, like all WHs before it, has walls and gates. And additional defenses you can construct during/before the actual siege battle (this is new in WH3).
Even the famous gate bug is still not fixed - very likely they don't know how to fix it, given that it's been there since the first iteration of that engine.

And they are tiered, too. The defenses, not the bugs.

Last edited:

tabacila

Augur
Making ladders a regular siege item that needs to be build just like rams and towers would be massive incline.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And they are tiered, too. The defenses, not the bugs.
There are going to be multiple walls and gates you have to go through?
Oh, that's what you mean - I thought "tiered" as in, there are multiple upgradable variants of them.

Multiple walls? Kinda, with the ones you build yourself during/before sieges. But that's only going to happen in major settlements I assume.
Multiple gates? No. Thankfully, no.

Mazisky

Magister

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Really dislike the UI. Shogun 2 is really the example of how to do a UI that fits the theme of the game and in general first class in how to make a coherent game in terms of gameplay, setting and aesthetics. WH3 should have had more baroque and demonic UI, not this cargo cult minimalism.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Really dislike the UI. Shogun 2 is really the example of how to do a UI that fits the theme of the game and in general first class in how to make a coherent game in terms of gameplay, setting and aesthetics. WH3 should have had more baroque and demonic UI, not this cargo cult minimalism.

And still Shogun 2 introduced huge decline in UI where you had to go outside of the game thru hyperlink to see the details of the units and buildings. Also, Fuck Shogun 2 and it's corridor map design.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Shogun 2 is probably the best TW in terms of battle mechanics and maybe general campaign mechanics too. The tech tree is far more interactive and exciting than the bland number-based bonuses in later titles. Too bad the setting just really isn't for me.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If people cared about battle mechanics nobody would play Warhammer. Also the skirmish heavy meta vs AI was born in Shogun 2. The tech tree was step back from Empire and another disappointment after Napoleon's nonexistent one. Granted that where the series is now, Shogun 2 looks like masterpiece, but at the time it was huge decline in terms of scope, gameplay systems on the campaign map and good but somewhat weaker battles than Rome and Medieval 2. One thing Shogun 2 has is the smoothness of the movement and responsiveness of the controls were better than Medieval 2 and on par with Rome. Loading times on other hand ... oof . Big decline as with every non purely RTS game was the focus on multiplayer, 1% of the spergs that actually play these game for the multiplayer preach that Shogun 2 was great game are the same people that ruin the fun of the other 99% with retarded demands for "balance" or other multiplayer focus design. Just look at HoI4 or EU4 where they ruin games when devs listen to them or, God forbid, devs are like them.

What made Shogun 2 good game was that it was the last Total War that didn't use health bars (don't get me started on the shitty animation locks and one entity units that ruined later games). Health bars for battles and 3D map for campaign are the two shittiest design changes in the series.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Empire is a straight up dysfunctional game. It's not even comparable to Shogun 2. Tech tree in Shogun 2 is very good, as you are getting tools and units. Overall Shogun 2 is an extremely coherent game, the setting itself meshes well with the total formula as you don't have entire of France as 1 province also.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Empire is a straight up dysfunctional game. It's not even comparable to Shogun 2. Tech tree in Shogun 2 is very good, as you are getting tools and units. Overall Shogun 2 is an extremely coherent game, the setting itself meshes well with the total formula as you don't have entire of France as 1 province also.

Sure, but as separate system the Empire one was better and more interesting as it also unlocked town/structures upgrades and new ways units behave (bayonets, ranked fire, drills etc.). Not to mention it was actually incorporated well with the time period and context they gave. In a highly stylized game like Shogun 2 the tech part was weaker than Empire's one.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Kislev's Boris: Faction- and Lord-effects

dvbfh4myf6d81.png

Start positions on the WH3 main campaign map

The LL-less gap between Katarin's and Greasus' starting positions will be eventually filled with Chaos Dwarfs.

u7uzv84dp7d81.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Start positions on the WH3 main campaign map
I'm not really a fan of the faction distribution. Seems like khorne, slaanesh and (perhaps) nurgle will be stuck fighting other chaos aligned factions for a really long time. Also there are more empire provinces than kislev ones?

It's lore appropriate and all, but I don't think it will be very fun. At least the demons have different rosters, and I guess hopefully kislev and empire can have peace.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also there are more empire provinces than kislev ones?
Yes, at least Karl Franz is on the map. Afaik, there are other factions too - Mannfred is in Sylvania and Snikch (I think) is somewhere around. There are probably more.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also there are more empire provinces than kislev ones?
Yes, at least Karl Franz is on the map. Afaik, there are other factions too - Mannfred is in Sylvania and Snikch (I think) is somewhere around. There are probably more.
There are, but I skimmed some of the streams to see if there were any major gameplay improvements (there weren't), and everything north of the frozen sea appears to be 100% demon.

I'm sure at some point someone will make a map showing the distribution of every faction at game start.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Snikch is near the Iron Dragon's starting position in the east.

Great Orthodoxy players are strongly encouraged to hunt down the archtraitor.

vsh03w612ad81.png

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No Nagashizzar on the map. Sad.
Quick deal feature alone makes Empire and lizardmen gameplay insanely more tolerable as you have to constantly check faggot elector counts for deal acceptance and lizard lords for confederation acceptance.
Also it may fix that shit with Empire event where you can send mercs to defent a city from attack and you constantly appear in shitty places, like, right behind main enemy force with your meager force and no chance to link with your ally.
Region trading already in the game with mod but welcome addition to fix crap like dwarves capturing one province of Sylvania. Or gifting them that mountain provinces around Reikland with orcs and gobbos, that constantly rebel, forcing you to keep army nearby.
Siege attrition is great as now you can win with Belegar without cheesing siege mechanics.
Replay Battle is godsent as it will save SO MANY TIME. Goddmn I cannot even count how manytimes I quit, reload and replayed a battle. Not it is fixed.
Unique maps are a neat addition, especially Kadrin and Nuln.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom