Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
When you say "so many classes are still missing", I don't even know what you mean. Out of the 12 base classes, the only missing ones are Bard, Monk, and Warlock (and monks are borderline useless in this edition). I mean, there are more classes in this game than in your PnP setting :cool:. I'd love to see the full roster, but more playable content seems far more important right now, considering that the base campaign isn't exactly infinitely replayable.
3 out of 12 is 25% ;d My point was more that the base game is not playable in the first place, let alone infinitely replayable, it still needs so much work. I suppose I have to file this game under the "will never be for me" category. I'm not sure why people like it so much for it to have such high review scores, but I lost touch with the average person/vidya gaem player a decade ago.

Mortmal

Arcane
You can be lazy with ToA. It just has a good amount of places you can easily expand if you want to.

the 190 IQ mensa registered girlfriend

:hahano:
Sure lot of places to expand , they should have edited a much bigger book. The hex crawl too is barebone ,they should have included many jungles, ruins and swamp battlemap and provided much more tactical encounters. It's also worth reading a guide before even starting to DM this, the hex crawl will be a slog , you need to customize encounters a lot. Really not the module for everyone.
Like dungeon of the mad mage , not for everyone and full of flaws.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ToA has easily as much content as the other modules. It just has way more room for easy expansion. I realize you could want them to flesh out the entire jungle, but then it would have take 3x the work of a normal module, so I don't see how that's a feasable demand unless you would be willing to pay 3x the price.

Mortmal

Arcane
ToA has easily as much content as the other modules. It just has way more room for easy expansion. I realize you could want them to flesh out the entire jungle, but then it would have take 3x the work of a normal module, so I don't see how that's a feasable demand unless you would be willing to pay 3x the price.
I am willing to pay more and having something of better quality, probably the only one . Some parts are just not acceptable , if you pick the hex crawl unchanged , its like playing a crpg with generic random encounters ad nauseum with super slow travel time .Would not work at a real table

Mortmal

Arcane
I doubt selling $150 books would be even close to as viable. Though I'd pay for 150 dollar ToA as well :D
It's the biggest problem with our hobby , rpg or crp, quality cost more but people are not willing to pay more although they easily could. So we are doomed to low budget, average and mediocre things. Even at 60$ its heavily pirated already.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I doubt selling $150 books would be even close to as viable. Though I'd pay for 150 dollar ToA as well :D
It's the biggest problem with our hobby , rpg or crp, quality cost more but people are not willing to pay more although they easily could. So we are doomed to low budget, average and mediocre things. Even at 60$ its heavily pirated already.

I'd rather pay more (even much more) for a few high quality games than the current situation where everything is the same price but most of it is backlog shovelware.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'd rather pay more (even much more) for a few high quality games than the current situation where everything is the same price but most of it is backlog shovelware.

I would too. I'm not talking about myself but about economic viability. I highly doubt there would be more sale in a 150 dollar adventure.

Also, ToA *is* a high quality game. It's one of the best adventures I've played.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also, ToA *is* a high quality game. It's one of the best adventures I've played.
Tomb of Annihilation is one of the best adventures published for this edition, along with Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. With the difference that ToA does a great job even in its final linear chapters, while chapters 5 and 6 of IWD:RotF are very weak. Chapter 7 picks up a little with many interesting encounters and a good boss fight, but it tries to use a weird exploration thing as a last dungeon and I preferred the straightforward dungeon crawling of the Tomb of the Nine Gods.

And, I mean, look at these dudes:

monk1.png
monk2.png
monk3.png

Look at them!

Parabalus

Arcane
When you say "so many classes are still missing", I don't even know what you mean. Out of the 12 base classes, the only missing ones are Bard, Monk, and Warlock (and monks are borderline useless in this edition). I mean, there are more classes in this game than in your PnP setting :cool:. I'd love to see the full roster, but more playable content seems far more important right now, considering that the base campaign isn't exactly infinitely replayable.
3 out of 12 is 25% ;d My point was more that the base game is not playable in the first place, let alone infinitely replayable, it still needs so much work. I suppose I have to file this game under the "will never be for me" category. I'm not sure why people like it so much for it to have such high review scores, but I lost touch with the average person/vidya gaem player a decade ago.

Party banter is hilarious, encounters are varied until the halfway mark and it's challenging on the higher difficulties.

5E is a new system for most people so learning it is also fun.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I found the crown and returned with it, but after the cut scenes and super-paladin combat I am ready to uninstall. This is the worst writing and story-telling I have ever seen in a game, bar none. I don't care anymore, I hope sorlaks eat everyone, gg.

vazha

Arcane
I'd say it only gets worse from then on, as far as story and quests are concerned.

The "investigation" quest in the dwarf town? My god, I couldn't believe my eyes it was so lazily done. And the fact that a group of people working for ა professional studio greenlighted that as a viable narrative just makes me shudder more.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wasn't expecting that. Kind of weird when the base game still needs so much work and so many classes are still missing. Does anyone really want small new adventures?
The game has almost 90% positive reviews on Steam, so I'd say the answer has to be yes. Putting the underwhelming encounter design aside, what this game offers is unique. The adaptation of the system is faithful almost to a fault, the interface functions perfectly, and the most important thing: combat feels great. Considering this, I don't find it strange for people to want more content in the form of new adventures/modules.

One reviewer hit the nail on the head, "If they invest in the multiplayer and customer-created content, I could see this game replacing Neverwinter Nights."

And they do seem to be doing that, at least for customer-created content - they're gradually iterating on that. In the last developer Q&A they said they couldn't say anything about multiplayer at that stage. But if they get that done properly it'll be great.

The only question is whether they think it's going to be worth the effort - it seems like they're already working on another game. But I think they'd do well financially to just spend a bit more time polishing the user-content side of this game and trying to monetize it a bit. The game will take care of itself after that, and have a good long afterlife.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Killed Aksha last night. She's not that hard if you bypass her with dialogue and get the drop on her later. I dumped a Sleet Storm on her two minions and just had Pallegina smite the shit out of her before she could do anything, with some help from Eder and a Spiritual Weapon summon.

My party has turned out to be fairly well chosen for the game. I haven't really encountered any locks that my highest Dex character (Aloth) couldn't open despite not being proficient with Thieves' Tools. As a cleric of Arun, Durance gets useful area traversal spells for free.

Poor man's Fly spell in the early game to reach distant inaccessible areas: Cast Levitate on yourself, then get somebody else to cast Thunderwave on you (reload until you fail the saving throw) to bump you in the right direction, then Misty Step the rest of the way.

vazha

Arcane
Poor man's Fly spell in the early game to reach distant inaccessible areas: Cast Levitate on yourself, then get somebody else to cast Thunderwave on you (reload until you fail the saving throw) to bump you in the right direction, then Misty Step the rest of the way.
Jesus, LOL. Probably worth mentioning that in 9 out of 10 cases the extra effort is not worth it though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jesus, LOL. Probably worth mentioning that in 9 out of 10 cases the extra effort is not worth it though.

plus you can just use jump and spider climb and stuff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, I only really needed this method for that one inaccessible chest in the arcane library. But I found the Gauntlets of Ogre Power there which were a gamechanger for Pallegina, who was very unreliable with her low natural STR.

vazha

Arcane

Yeah, I only really needed this method for that one inaccessible chest in the arcane library. But I found the Gauntlets of Ogre Power there which were a gamechanger for Pallegina, who was very unreliable with her low natural STR.
Hmm, maybe that one has randomly generated loot - because I distinctly remember finding a wand there instead of gauntlets

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Hmm, maybe that one has randomly generated loot - because I distinctly remember finding a wand there instead of gauntlets

Interesting, you're not the only one who mentions a wand. It seems that loot is not purely random but rather selects from a treasure table with several fixed options: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1096530/discussions/0/3008927444643080973/?ctp=4#c3078747189795813645

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom