Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Surprised to see that Viking's all time peak is that low tbh
I was under the impression it was more well known than that. I guess it just hadn't made itself noticed at its launch.
Not that many people here played it sadly, it was one of the better 2017 releases and there weren't even that many of those.

Hellion

Arcane
The black Praetorians shown above are most likely the result of either modding or a bug, having played the game for over 70 hours (65 of which during its pre-release preview build) I literally haven't encountered a single non-white/non-mediterranean-looking recruitable Praetorian.

Other than that, the game does attempt to tackle certain social issues of ancient Rome using a 2022 mentality (slavery, women and barbarians, mostly), but this mostly adds RP value. You can roleplay a woke General that fights for emancipation and friendly coexistence with barbarians, but you also have the option to be a full-fledged xenophobic, imperium-aspiring slave-beater.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Surprised to see that Viking's all time peak is that low tbh
I was under the impression it was more well known than that. I guess it just hadn't made itself noticed at its launch.

Rather the opposite - it made itself noticed at launch but for the wrong reasons. Viking was in a terrible shape at release, which surely scared off many people for a time (at least it happened to me).

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Some of the way into Asia Minor, haven't met the last companion yet though.

So far so good, there's a few traps such as needing to recruit Praetorians before undertaking the pacify missions etc, rocked up to the area the first time without any and had to reload etc. I enjoyed the first Pacify mission, took a couple of gos to get the hang of it but managed to finish without any casualties other than one of the legionaries you were rescuing.

The dark-skinned Praetorian portraits is a bit weird, not entirely sure why they opted to do that - particularly because the portraits were clearly modified from a Roman portrait rather than actually looking good like Bestia, instead they look like prehistoric neanderthals.

As others have said the combat and RPG parts are good, level design in combat is quite good so far. Overland map is definitely a lot like Conquistador without camping, and the text-based events while travelling are still there. Still haven't done much in the way of legion management etc yet.

Codex Year of the Donut
The black Praetorians shown above are most likely the result of either modding or a bug, having played the game for over 70 hours (65 of which during its pre-release preview build)
or... it could have just been something added at the last minute to impress game journos

Codex Year of the Donut
Is the game any fun outside of the wokeness?
I don't see the "RPG" here unless you consider RPG to be the same as "picking dialogue options." Character building & equipment is about as in-depth as nu-XCOM, which is about the most praise I can give it -- it feels a lot like nu-XCOM except with Roman soldiers.
I got 6 hours in and was finished, just not interested.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Th2q8GZ.jpeg

Aftermath of the first act finale.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The black Praetorians shown above are most likely the result of either modding or a bug, having played the game for over 70 hours (65 of which during its pre-release preview build) I literally haven't encountered a single non-white/non-mediterranean-looking recruitable Praetorian.

This is very interesting, I guess that its down to RNG. On a few occasions the list or recruitable praetorians I got looked like a collection of gangbanger mugshots from a police file. Still, you can easily refresh the list through the camp management, so you definitely dont need to take any niggas if you dont want to. TBH its kinda funny to see that every single rank and file legionnaire you see in the camps is white, but you could put together 100% black command staff and praetorian guard if you wanted to...

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The black Praetorians shown above are most likely the result of either modding or a bug, having played the game for over 70 hours (65 of which during its pre-release preview build)
or... it could have just been something added at the last minute to impress game journos

It was added three days before release: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/987840/view/3104669524539409999

I strongly suspect that they just used a FaceApp-type algorithm to generate race-modded versions of all the praetorian portraits.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's procedural generation. They should probably tweak the percentages so that the average praetorian is more historically representative (although it would make for some uncomfortable patch notes). I think the black portraits were added very late in development since the original demo release didn't have them. Bestia Tabat is the only actual black NPC in the game, or at least the only one important enough to have a portrait.
I can confirm that I played the review build for over 40 hours and I never saw any black centurion portrait in the recruitment screen. It must have been added in the big patch that got pushed out the day before official launch.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Julia is an actual tranny. It's good that this character exposed the wifetard for the tranny chaser he is, I suppose.

Sunri

Liturgist
Those catapults during siege did more harm than good for me, I had to lower difficulty for gate section, didn't expect so much trouble after all those easy missions.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
OK tried this game rolled a wombyn cause its current year... and... First scene introduced centurio OK, Young Caesar OK, he did fought against pirates and... Kang from Mauretanina cause Maur means he needs to be black Yes? Checked the sources and they claim there were white and also nigger Mauri aka Berbers back then north of Africa so OK not likely and he was ex Gladiator and but why not make it my family slave.... Oh Current Year strikes Again! but then... I was brought to camp and given armor, weapons and command as unmarried Roman Patrician Girl, got some quest to get Caesar back but cause its current year had to pay for it instead of using my char secret weapon, M'Kay rolled Patrician Man, same Kang, same way to complete quests, killed the traitor this time, got special assignment instead of safe tribune desk job, OK it did happened as young Tiberius Gragho was the first on the walls of Carthage and Caesar also fought in first rank if need so, and then mean strange looking Roman Special forces member... OK its special forces archer so maybe it somehow plausible at least she is not front line legionary (coping here). Dialogues are so so aside from bossing plebs around, combat getting boring when on higher difficulty which makes enemies onto HP sponges, game is not as bad as some of you are saying it is but also not something worth paying full price neither.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I am absolutely infuriated by how your non-story companions don't (seem to) carry over between different acts. You expect me to depend on those schmucks in the pacification missions, but won't let me remember which of those generic names and faces represents which set of abilities and equipment? At least allow me to give them nicknames.

Hell I'm glad I got my money back. I'll play "A Legionary's Life" instead. It's not as fancy and shiny but at least relatively historical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom