Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Deflowerer

Arcane
Actually whenever she is up in the air, you can shoot her down which stuns her for a little bit.

Finally beat the bitch. Grinded some more on revenants until I got a drop of this purple Odachi that was a lot more damaging then any other big slow weapon I had. Also put a point in Dex with that which allowed to me use Kunai instead of Shuriken. That thing damages her Ki significantly more when she's in air so it also helped. I guess enough for today, feeling a bit exhausted now. 3 days spent on this stupid fight.

Last edited:
Iai quickdraw is the strongest and most fun move in the game.

Well perhaps these games aren't for me after all then. I don't see anything fun about attack that requires me to sheathe weapon beforehand or Ki pulsing. The regular pulse itself is manageable enough but I don't want to be adding more shit on top of that. So I will play it some more but I don't want to be spending skill points on stuff like that. It's seems like overcomplicating things to me. I don't like mechanics like that. I prefer simplicity of From games I guess.

Haha this fucking odachi I used to beat vampire cunt made entire next mission up to boss easy mode. Especially after I got that smash the ground skill for it. Farming revenants is easy mode now. I love that it also works with all stances. I was thinking of going spears for my secondary weapon but now I think perhaps Dual sword/Odachi set up might be my thing.

Boss still not done. Possibly some butthurt about it incoming. For now I'm having fun doing a bit of farming and toying around with shit I unlocked so far. Usually I don't like farming but I gotta hand it to Team Ninja, revenants do make it more interesting. They are definitely an improvement over bloodstains from Souls.

*edit* No butthurt this time, boss is dead on third attempt.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Haha this fucking odachi I used to beat vampire cunt made entire next mission up to boss easy mode. Especially after I got that smash the ground skill for it. Farming revenants is easy mode now. I love that it also works with all stances. I was thinking of going spears for my secondary weapon but now I think perhaps Dual sword/Odachi set up might be my thing.

Boss still not done. Possibly some butthurt about it incoming. For now I'm having fun doing a bit of farming and toying around with shit I unlocked so far. Usually I don't like farming but I gotta hand it to Team Ninja, revenants do make it more interesting. They are definitely an improvement over bloodstains from Souls.

If you want butthurt try doing the optional missions where you re-match that boss :troll:

After killing dude in the dungeon after lightning boss on first try I accidentally clicked to travel to another region on the map, thinking i was clicking on "Back to starting point" so I left a bunch of side missions undone. Oops. Not that it's a huge loss, I'm sure.

*edit" Silly me, didn't notice I can switch regions on map any time. I assumed I couldn't for story reasons.

Last edited:
Running around poison cave now. Not my favorite type of area but it isn't too annoying either. Game still pretty easy, using same Odachi I farmed out in vampire bitch cave. Except I soul matched it with higher level weapon to get more dps. Maybe trying to be fast dual sword type on first playthrough wasn't such a smart choice. Perhaps I'll try that in Nioh 2 eventually. For now I'm leaning towards odachi as my main weapon, it makes shit way simpler. I also love how you stick that sword in enemy with broken posture and throw it over yourself. Just like in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3!

Last edited:
Reached the big blob in water bossfight. So far looks like another dodgefest of a fight where I get killed in 1-2 hits. Guess I'll be taking a break here for now.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Reached the big blob in water bossfight. So far looks like another dodgefest of a fight where I get killed in 1-2 hits. Guess I'll be taking a break here for now.

It's more of an endurance match than other bosses, but key is to imbue your weapon with fire. If you have lit up a few shrines on the map, then boss arena will have two flames which you can take advantage of and imbue your weapon with. Makes it a lot easier.

Deflowerer

Arcane

If you want butthurt try doing the optional missions where you re-match that boss :troll:

He'll uninstall the game if he tries that.

If he meant the twilight mission then I think I already lost opportunity to do that after traveling to other region. There was one available to me before that but not anymore. I think I'll most likely skip most of the side missions anyway because I'm getting the feeling I'll get bored with game before I finish main missions if I don't.
And yeah I know about the fire weakness on blob things already, first small one that jump out at me got tested with a fire bomb. It's just that I die very fast from either a tentacle attack or that beam thing.

Fuck this piece of shit blob boss. :argh: I'm having trouble identifying signs of incoming beam attack. Sometimes it looks like he's about to do it and he just throws some goo out. Other times he beams very suddenly and I'm dead in one hit, even with full health. Not enjoying this fight at all.

Suicidal

Arcane

If he meant the twilight mission then I think I already lost opportunity to do that after traveling to other region. There was one available to me before that but not anymore. I think I'll most likely skip most of the side missions anyway because I'm getting the feeling I'll get bored with game before I finish main missions if I don't.
And yeah I know about the fire weakness on blob things already, first small one that jump out at me got tested with a fire bomb. It's just that I die very fast from either a tentacle attack or that beam thing.

There's a normal side mission where you duel the samurai dude whose illusion you fought at the mission 3 underground dungeon, that's the one I mean.

Skipping the side missions is a good idea because it's mostly the same maps you already beat you can grind for gear and resources. Some duel missions are fun though.

As for the blob, everyone agrees it is one of the shittiest (perhaps even the shittiest) bosses in the game, try to endure.

I have beaten the blob. Took getting to his second phase once to kill him. He didn't appear to have any bullshit one shot attacks in that phase, so smooth sailing from there.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have beaten the blob. Took getting to his second phase once to kill him. He didn't appear to have any bullshit one shot attacks in that phase, so smooth sailing from there.
Isn't the umi-bozu oneshot attack like the most telegraphed move in the entire game? IIRC, you don't even have to dodge, you can just slowly walk away.

Ravielsk

Magister
Its been like two years since I finished the first game but from what I remember you have to take a dual approach to the game. Combat is more like Ninja Gaiden or God of War mechanically and should be treated that way, trying to play this as Dark Souls only leads into a brick wall. The equipment on the other hand is like Diablo and is all about grinding out the best weapon/effect combinations to basically break the game in half. I have seen builds that essentially can one shot every boss in a row by combining specific buffs with a couple of spells, hilarious shit.

Then again its really deceptive because for all intends and purposes the game tries really hard to pretend its samurai Dark Souls when it really is everything but that. The tutorial makes it sound like you can take the slow and methodical approach to things but really that only works for the most base human enemies, with everything else its about the aggression and exploiting guardian abilities to a almost broken extend.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS STILL PLUGGING AWWY

BOSSEES SEEM EASIER NOW I USUALLY ONLY TAKE A COUPLE ATTEMPTS

LIKE THE DEPTH TO THE COMBAT

I SWITCH STANCES AND SHIT

USE SWORDS AND ODACHI I LIKED AXES BUT GOT A HUGE BOSS ASS ODACHI AND I LIKE HEAVY WEAPONS BEST

PARRY IS ONE REASON I STILL USE SWORD IT CAN CUT A GROUP BATTLE DOWN QUICK

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FUCK ME
FINIISHED KELLEY ND HIS DEMON CUNTS
JUST CANT DO ANY MORE TURNING IN HE LOOT IS A HUGE CHORE

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I just started this last week, but that blob boss was a brick wall that almost got me to stop playing. I lit all the torches in the level, but still used up all of my fire-based items before I figured out how to kill it. In the end I hit a moment of Zen and used my fox spirit (flame based) and the two fire amulets you get from putting points into magic before I finally beat him. That's a seriously bullshit boss. I can't tell you how many times I fell into the water fighting him, but it took me a few frustrating hours before I took him down. I was tempted to give up and go back to the main map, but I knew that if I gave in I might not come back to the game.

I'm playing with an axe build, which is some clunky fun, but I think I hosed myself a little bit by not building my character to use a spear as a back-up. The spear seems to be the best weapon for range and speed, works well in tight spaces, and isn't too shabby on the damage either.

So I just started this last week, but that blob boss was a brick wall that almost got me to stop playing. I lit all the torches in the level, but still used up all of my fire-based items before I figured out how to kill it. In the end I hit a moment of Zen and used my fox spirit (flame based) and the two fire amulets you get from putting points into magic before I finally beat him. That's a seriously bullshit boss. I can't tell you how many times I fell into the water fighting him, but it took me a few frustrating hours before I took him down. I was tempted to give up and go back to the main map, but I knew that if I gave in I might not come back to the game.

Umi-bozu right? Complete bastard. Huge boss, Big attack AoEs, smallish arena, lethal boundaries. I found staying unlocked at certain points helped a lot. Good big monster fight in retrospect.

Loads of great boss fights in this game.

Its been like two years since I finished the first game but from what I remember you have to take a dual approach to the game. Combat is more like Ninja Gaiden or God of War mechanically and should be treated that way, trying to play this as Dark Souls only leads into a brick wall. The equipment on the other hand is like Diablo and is all about grinding out the best weapon/effect combinations to basically break the game in half. I have seen builds that essentially can one shot every boss in a row by combining specific buffs with a couple of spells, hilarious shit.

Then again its really deceptive because for all intends and purposes the game tries really hard to pretend its samurai Dark Souls when it really is everything but that. The tutorial makes it sound like you can take the slow and methodical approach to things but really that only works for the most base human enemies, with everything else its about the aggression and exploiting guardian abilities to a almost broken extend.

This is correct. The adjacency to Team Ninja's previous character action games is very apparent, especially once you start fighting Yokai.

I wish the equipment system was less Diablo inspired. Lots of great build variety and interesting tools available here but bogged down by being heavily drop and resource grind dependent. Many such cases with the stat based looter, sad.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I beat the game a few days ago and here are my thoughts:

+ This game is legit hard. I tried to avoid spoilers, but I did have to look up advice on how to beat the butterfly lady. I finally defeated her after a few more tries. She was the toughest boss in the game to me.
+ I love how you can play this game in multiple ways. I had an axe and spear build, and I usually went with either strong or middle attacks. The spear is much better against spear-wielding undead than the axe. So is a rifle shot to the head if I see them ahead of time.
+ All enemies need to be taken seriously, even the simple ones wandering around. I wanted to see what others thought of the game, so I went on reddit and a guy posted "Ahhh... my arch-nemesis... regular dude." I concur with the sentiment.
+ This is definitely different than Dark Souls and in a good way. In Dark Souls, I often found being aggressive and trying to stagger an enemy before leaping back as a viable strategy. In Nioh, I provoke new enemies into attacking in order to learn their move sets before attacking. And countering with a few strikes after their attacks is usually the way to go.
+ This goes for the bosses, too. I quickly found being overly aggressive just meant a quick death. Instead I would spend my first few tries trying to learn their move sets before taking a serious attempt at defeating them. This meant I willingly died at least a handful of times to each boss before making a serious attempt... except for Oda Nobunga. I got lucky there and won without dying.
+ Looking online, I see some people had way different experiences. I found the butterfly lady and Umi-Bozu to be incredibly tough. But my favorite boss was that caterpillar one in the mine. I would have him follow me onto the ground floor, then climb a ladder, then do a death-from-above maneuver from a platform that would fuck him up badly. Rinse and repeat. I saw other folks had a really hard time with him. It also took me about 10 times to beat him, but I really did enjoy defeating the dude with the eyes in the epilogue.4
+ I started really getting tired of dude in armor bosses in the second half of the game, but the game really made up for it with the sea monster with multiple heads, attack of the clones, and dude with the eyes. Way to save the best for last.
+ Thanks for providing some eye-candy in the form of certain NPCs.
+/- It did seem like a poor man's Dark Souls, but I'll also acknowledge that they did way more to the formula than just make a clone. Less weapons in this game, but more that you can do with said weapons with learnt skills and the light, middle, and heavy attack modes.
- The lack of variety of enemies. 'Nuff said.
- I like William, but I like making my own character more.

To the game's credit, I just started Bloodborne and found myself missing both Dark Souls and Nioh. I'll give it a few more hours before deciding whether or not to uninstall Bloodborne and just wait until Nioh 2 is placed on the Playstation Now game list once again.

Suicidal

Arcane
But my favorite boss was that caterpillar one in the mine.

:what:

Never thought I'd see someone say that. That's like having Bed of Chaos as your favorite Dark Souls boss.

Like with many giant bosses in action games, I appreciate the idea behind it but the execution was dogshit. I hated that boss. I hated how if you went behind it, its head would just instantly turn 180 degrees and it would start moving towards you THROUGH ITS OWN BODY SEGMENTS. I hated how coming anywhere near its head would make you take damage, like you're playing one of those ancient arcade games where coming into contact with an enemy sprite instantly killed you. It also wasn't challenging at all since it was quite easy to outrun and his only other method of damaging you were some easily avoidable projectile attacks, but at the same time involved a lot of busywork.

Also, have you played the DLC? Your list of bosses you had trouble with is strangely missing all the DLC ones.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah dude, play through the DLC. Top notch content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom