Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pokemon used to not be as gay

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Pokemon began inspired by Earthbound series.

Pokemon was inspired by the Ultraseven tv series and insect collecting
The mechanics were just a simple derivation of classic jRPG mechanics

Not much strategy besides min-maxing your critters.

No
PvP heavily relies on team composition/synergy and counter tactics
Provided you're playing against competitive players that is...

You can always go for romhacks.

Or PokeMMO

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Pokemon was actually a huge key cultural moment in making everything gay and ruining it all IMO.

Sat morning TV suddenly went from being fun, hang-over telly with a nice blend of adult humour and kids shows, to pure candy-coated Disney-channel bullshit which embraced their foul philosophies. Pokemon was part of that foul shit, and even though some JRPGs had a hint of that gayness anyway, a lot also were straight as arrows and there was a bearable balance until Pokeybum. Then it just went full on homo-shit, and that's around the time when I stopped buying console games all together and went almost full PC (I still hung on to the great 16-bit games I enjoyed).
Saturday morning cartoons were always shit, is what you're saying. ‘adult humor’, lol, for retards.

You just weren't smart enough to get the jokes.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I never had a nintendo handheld or SNES+. I only have the VCR loader NES and a top insert NES.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Monstan collectan gaems have to be somewhat easy so the player can change his team often. Colosseum added a bit of difficulty (limiting what mons you can get and making bosses use rain dance teams or "ha ha protect+earthquake goes BRRRRRRRRR") and it already makes it hard to justify not instadumping your Shroomish or whatever for that Entei. That said, the games have been a bit too baby easy lately even for the average player so gamefreak might be more consistent about adding optional hard modes and battle towers in the future.
I mean, the Shin Megami Tensei games pose a decent challenge where you have to make use of the game's mechanics to its fullest in order to succeed. They aren't the hardest games ever, but you can't just fall asleep on the wheel and win, so to speak. Digimon World Next Order was insanely hard, too. I was sweating bullets multiple times in that game. Monster Rancher games were no mere pushover either and Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters were also a good challenge, even difficult. Really, Pokemon is the only series within the monster collectathon genre that is just baby easy.

Multiplayer battles seem to be mostly about killing the enemy in one-two hits before they do the same to you. Not much strategy besides min-maxing your critters.
IMO they should do a soft reboot and get rid of some redundant types.

But you can't just do it with a single attack on turn 1. Like I said, to be able to take an enemy Pokemon out in a single hit takes a few turns of setting up with to maximize the damage you do. And then an enemy can just switch the 'mon at the last minute to one that will resist the incoming attack. Or use Substitute, for example, to eat up a big dick attack. A skill that is useless in single player. Min-maxing is super important, too, but if everyone is fighting on an even level then there is some maneuvering involved.

dacencora

All the posters ITT asking for Pokémon that feels more like a CRPG should play Nocturne and/or SMT IV. SMT V is great too, but it’s 3D platforming + SMT so it’s a little different.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Pokemon was actually a huge key cultural moment in making everything gay and ruining it all IMO.

Sat morning TV suddenly went from being fun, hang-over telly with a nice blend of adult humour and kids shows, to pure candy-coated Disney-channel bullshit which embraced their foul philosophies. Pokemon was part of that foul shit, and even though some JRPGs had a hint of that gayness anyway, a lot also were straight as arrows and there was a bearable balance until Pokeybum. Then it just went full on homo-shit, and that's around the time when I stopped buying console games all together and went almost full PC (I still hung on to the great 16-bit games I enjoyed).
Saturday morning cartoons were always shit, is what you're saying. ‘adult humor’, lol, for retards.

You just weren't smart enough to get the jokes.
kids jokes: haha peepee poopoo popculture reference
adult jokes: psst, i know that talk show host you like, penis penis vagina sex

You're retarded.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
No
PvP heavily relies on team composition/synergy and counter tactics
Provided you're playing against competitive players that is...

When i was a kid the tryhard competive players just stacked their team full of mewtwos and legendary birds ( specifically any but the fire one) , they were the most boring mofos to play against.
It taught me a valuable life lesson that still endures with me today: competitive types ruin vidya.

Pokemon has the greatest dissonance I've ever seen between a cool concept and absolute garbage gameplay. It's also very old school and monocled, at least in theory. I mean:

- 6 member fully customizable party? Check.
- Turn-based combat with le tactical depth? Check.
- Cool concept art for every monster (early titles only)? Check.
- Exploration and resource management? Check.
- Based setting with high trust, homogeneous society, where parents casually send their children to travel the world on their own? Heil Hitler.

They only needed to make the game non-linear, toss the gimmick gym badge mechanic (Water Gym fights ahead? Cool, I'll just use the same lightning Pokemon and spam the same movement over and over) and add some very needed difficulty, then you'd easily have Codex GOTY*.

* only saying this because the Codex is full of weaboos and Baldur's Gate fans. As every true RPG fan can admit, Pokemon is clearly superior to Baldur's Gate in every possible way. This is indisputable.

dacencora

Pokemon has the greatest dissonance I've ever seen between a cool concept and absolute garbage gameplay. It's also very old school and monocled, at least in theory. I mean:

- Based setting with high trust, homogeneous society, where parents casually send their children to travel the world on their own? Heil Hitler.

They only needed to make the game non-linear, toss the gimmick gym badge mechanic (Water Gym fights ahead? Cool, I'll just use the same lightning Pokemon and spam the same movement over and over) and add some very needed difficulty, then you'd easily have Codex GOTY*.

* only saying this because the Codex is full of weaboos and Baldur's Gate fans. As every true RPG fan can admit, Pokemon is clearly superior to Baldur's Gate in every possible way. This is indisputable.
The new Arceus Legends is promising to be this, so we’ll see how it goes.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

The game was leaked and it's apparently pretty drab. The game focuses more on the collecting part as in you are supposed to catch the same 'mons multiple times to fill up the pokedex. Fighting is not a primary activity in the game and all the boss enemies can be beaten with shit-tier Dark Souls-esque combat where you just roll through their attacks and throw food at them - no Pokemon battling required. Another waste of opportunity.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If they at least change the gyms from being type-based to strategy-based, the game would have been much more challenging, while also preparing the players for PvP by introducing the possible tactics to use, and also giving gimmick moves a chance to shine in the story mode.

Besides, having lots of NPCs using weak-looking/gimmicky enemies that would destroy unaware players would reinforce the series' moral value of friendship and "using the pokemon you like the most."

Last edited:

dacencora

The game was leaked and it's apparently pretty drab. The game focuses more on the collecting part as in you are supposed to catch the same 'mons multiple times to fill up the pokedex. Fighting is not a primary activity in the game and all the boss enemies can be beaten with shit-tier Dark Souls-esque combat where you just roll through their attacks and throw food at them - no Pokemon battling required. Another waste of opportunity.
Damn that sucks. Well guess I’ll just stick to replaying HeartGold instead lol. The Kaizo romhacks are pretty good. Crystal Kaizo was much tougher than I was expecting it to be.

deuxhero

Arcane

They did that with Colosseum and XD, and those two games were awesome.

Poseidon00

Arcane
They did that with Colosseum and XD, and those two games were awesome.

Don't sleep on Stadium, it's about as difficult as that generation of games can possibly get. Max stat xp and tournament-level strats and team building.

I went through them with mons imported from Crystal Clear. Dodrio carried me with Drill Peck and High Jump Kick.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

I'm 20h in, pretty much done seeing what's it about, and can confirm. The core of moving around and fighting is what we all wanted pokemon to be, but neither the depth nor the polish is there. It's not a battle game but a collectathon where you're encouraged to field as many pokes as possible. The maps are completely static with clear spawn and pull areas you'd find in an MMO. The pokemons all use plain flat textures with realistic shadows which makes them look like 80s rubber toys; and the LODs and terrain textures are those of a PS2 game.

My 20h are because that damn core loop of quick non-obtrusive fights feels great, and stalking mons to pokeball them by the hundreds also feels good. In the mainline games you rarely want to capture pokemon for the sake of it, where in here it's quick and fun. I forced myself to stay underleveled and field random pokemons, but not even that can make the braindead fights hard. Like, 20h and three zones in your opponent trainers have 2 level 28 pokemon while you've been capturing lvl 40+ alphas on zone 1 since hour 5.

Let me emphasize: you can capture pokemons fairly easily without having to suffer through grass (+ run) rng, pp management, nor you have to lower their hp and use the right kind of ball. The worst that can happen is that it takes 5-6 balls to capture an alpha. And you can throw the pokeball half a map away, that's actually how you capture flying types.

I haven't played since Silver in GBC, and I hope this is the direction they take and make it into a full game. Hopefully with a hard mode.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
they goin shite with every new release
5pnywqxv32d81.png

n0T68fx.jpg

this is what happen when western devs infest japanese gaming industry

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Arceus looks really bad.

I've got that pokemon itch, but most of these new games look really gay. I've been reading "what is the most difficult pokemon game" threads on reddit. Nerds say all kind of shit. I think I might just go for nostalgia and play gold or silver again.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Arceus looks really bad.

I've got that pokemon itch, but most of these new games look really gay. I've been reading "what is the most difficult pokemon game" threads on reddit. Nerds say all kind of shit. I think I might just go for nostalgia and play gold or silver again.
The answer is none.
If you want difficulty you go for romhacks or nuzlocke your favorite game.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Poké Black 2 has a hard mode, just after beating the game already once in normal and credits rolling you get a code that can be applied on a kinda convoluted system in order to unlock it. It was pretty retarded.

A friendo told me that the remakes Diamond/Pearl have a rough elite 4. Go figure, spending 60 bucks for a couple of difficult fights.

Gastrick

Cipher
Safari Zone was one the funnest parts of the original game, Arceus Legend doesn't seem bad. That's if they patch the uncanny bad graphics like that water.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom