Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who is behind the NFT in gaming push?

Alphons

Cipher
PIRACY DEFEATED

FDZc-KFMVk-AYm-YEb.jpg

Drop Duck

Learned
PIRACY DEFEATED

FDZc-KFMVk-AYm-YEb.jpg
Reminder that this is how digital rights used to be run before the net was commercialized. A record company would send you an angry email telling you to take down your pirated Linkin Park mp3. These days they simply cooperate with the big corps and since most people use their services it's highly effective. In the future you will get banned from banking services for pirating someone's private JPEG property.
My post contained a single question, a very clear and simple question: how will NFTs make piracy practically impossible?
Let me tell you how it is going to go down son. You will whip out your latest Apploid SmartLink model and you will have paid for all the software on there since essential parts of it will be delivered through the net. Less size on the disk drive they will tell you, bug free, latest version and without requiring patches. You get the naughty idea that you are going to pirate someone's private meme GIF. The WWCE (world wide copyright enforcement) AI driven system will identify the GIF you uploaded to ImgSpot and look in the NFT register and find out that you're not the owner. Big mistake boy, you better hope the real owner of that GIF isn't feeling angry today and sends you to a pound-my-ass-prison and simply uses his grievance credit to replace your Amazon order of dragon dildos with Soyflush. If you did post that in a public chatroom you might face a drone launching a hellfire missile on your family home.

The reason I have to bring up other things in my post is because software piracy as you know it will disappear because of other reasons than NFTs. Today most people buy a Netflix subscription instead of paying for individual movies, since that's the case piracy of films is already going the way of the dodo. Let's say that Pierre since he's an indie developer wants to sell you a license to play KotC2 on your machine, he can't get his game on one of the big subscription services. So he sells you an NFT that is registered in your name upon purchase and every time you want to play the game your OS as well as his game checks that you are a person with digital ownership over this item. Why not just send you a link to a download and a shitty license you can easily break? Well, since NFTs will be the standard you won't feel that you really own the game if you don't have the NFT. Without the NFT you won't even be able to install it on your system. It's like how you have to show your ID at the bar to prove you're old enough to drink if you look suspiciously young, except this is always the case and not a hassle. You will also be able to sell or give the NFT for the game to someone else, you lose the ability to play it, someone else gains the ability to do so.

I had to bring up subscriptions because the big boys will focus on services instead of goods, unless we are talking about virtual goods within games or social networking systems. I'm talking total integration baby! If you upload a photo of your dog to FaceSpace after it has done a physiognomy scan on it and ID tagged it in the future it will probably generate an NFT, this token will then mark this image as your property. If anyone else reposts this image of your dog you have to give your okay and set your terms of use.

Drop Duck

Learned
It looks like standard finance to me, i.e. creating profit from nothing.
Finances are backed by military power who is going to enforce those block chains?
Corporations if they are invested in them and they more powerful than any nation-state.
Why not just send you a link to a download and a shitty license you can easily break? Well, since NFTs will be the standard you won't feel that you really own the game if you don't have the NFT. Without the NFT you won't even be able to install it on your system
Solution to a problem that doesn't exist strikes again
You know some people insist on only getting games if they have achievements? Same thing. Imperceptibly over time people will be made to accept this new reality, this is already an ongoing thing. We went from an open internet where any yahoo could put up their own website and offer free or paid software over it to today, when most people get their software from app stores owned by the hardware/OS provider. You are going to pee your pants a little if you can imagine what that means for the future. Even Linuxtards get their pre-packaged programs from central locations.

Gammer

Learned
The only good use for crypto I've found is being able to anonymously purchase cloud servers with monero for my attacking infrastructure

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Poor wittle Drop Bear the soy boy didn't like I rated his posts as an NPC. As a result he has been going through my posting history to rank them all shit. As such the fucking retarded NPC is now ignored until he stops being a fucking worthless piece of shit baby. Grow the fuck up you fucking worthless cunt and put on your big boy pants. I swear Crypto-Bros are the most retarded and unreasonable shitstains in the history of the world. A bunch of fucking retarded cultists.

Drop Duck

Learned
Poor wittle Drop Bear the soy boy didn't like I rated his posts as an NPC. As a result he has been going through my posting history to rank them all shit. As such the fucking retarded NPC is now ignored until he stops being a fucking worthless piece of shit baby. Grow the fuck up you fucking worthless cunt and put on your big boy pants. I swear Crypto-Bros are the most retarded and unreasonable shitstains in the history of the world. A bunch of fucking retarded cultists.
Someone can dish out rating spam but not take it I see. Poor little baby boy has to ignore the big mean NFT king for hurting his feefees. It's okay if you want to cry, don't get so mad you burst a blood vessel.

deem

Savant
Techbros are the most incompetent people you will ever come across in real life. Also, looking at Drop Bear posts, there is something masochistic about the tone of them. "Whether you like it or not/this is the inevitable future/progress waits for nobody" types of sentiments being expressed. There is no joy in the anticipation of what they claim to be their passion. Techbros seem to like to flagellate themselves. Miserable cunts.

You are going to pee your pants a little if you can imagine what that means for the future.
Sounds like it's utter shit, which is weird because you seem to be into it so you were supposed to make it look good. But every conversation with NFT enthusiasts gradually takes the same tone of a hostage negotiation, so it's probably just a "to be eaten first" thing.

Reinhardt

Arcane
NFT or not - modern games are all shit. Maybe try making some not shit first before pushing your pyramid? Except you can't. Shitty monkey is all you can do.

Mustawd

Investing in NFTs because you foresee a booming digital ownership market is somewhat akin to investing in a Tesla Coil because you foresee a booming light bulb market. When it arrives, you're still stuck with a useless spark machine while everyone else is getting rich lighting up people's living room.

You just described how Bitcoin got big even though in 10 years it’ll probably be obsolete, while every major country has its own crypto currency.

deuxhero

Arcane
Going by questions asked in an ongoing fandom (Wikia) survey, the NFT push is publishers seeing yet another avenue to monetize merch. Basiclly digital funkopop shit.

maydaymemer

Educated
I find it funny the same fucking publishers who constantly pandered to woke retards on twitter have now dropped them temporarily because NFTs make way more money. It’d be cathartic if it wasnt so profoundly stupid to throw away the easiest crowd to pander to and the crowd that are the most mindless consumers, pissing them off so you can sell magic beans

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I find it funny the same fucking publishers who constantly pandered to woke retards on twitter have now dropped them temporarily because NFTs make way more money.

I think I'm missing your point. Are NFTs somehow anathema to the woke crowd?

From what I've seen... kinda? Most woke types I've seen are dead set against NFTs due to all the drama about blockchain's supposed energy/environmental impact (which I don't really know the truth of, myself). So a lot of the time they don't even get to whining about "late stage capitalism" or whatever, it's all muh environmentz.

Trithne

Erudite

Unrelated, but I'm curious how close James is to getting the Safe Space tag. Isn't it like 64 ignores?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom