Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess it is selfish of me to be more concerned about downloads and access rather than country politics and invasion, but that is my concern.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I was also looking ag Bloodwych (and the related thread here and I got annoyed about no manual. That of course led to further disappointment when I saw the extra data disks (amiga/st only) wasn't present. So gog goes out of its way to put 4 versions of Jim Power & the lost dimension on but couldn't put up the Amiga version (thank god for emulation). Jim didn't get Mutant Planet (the first game) either.
I wonder if in Bloodwych's case its because the procedure to play the extra data disks would have been too much work to set up for a simple emulation job. The only other option is that whoever licenses out Amiga kickstarts asked for too much. (I assume that's the case, since there's no simple solution unlike DOS)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
kyPsLfy.jpg

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Regarding Head Over Heels: I've mentioned this in another thread, but the version includes here is the unofficial 'remake' made by Retrospec in 2003, which made a bunch of other remakes back in the day.

Their homepage still exists, but *mysteriously* doesn't feature or mention Head Over Heels.

As for the Retrospec-version... call me old-fashioned, but there's something off about it. Too many colors, too much detail. Yes, really. It is arguable that one could boot up the original (Spectrum) or one of its ports on an emulator with save-states, and get a very similar experience.

Regarding Switchblade: Switchblade was a pretty big release at the time, mostly because it got ported to a lot of systems. The Megadrive/Genesis-release in particular is a recent port featuring redrawn visuals and a "rearranged" soundtrack, whatever that means.

Regarding Soccer Kid: I'm just seeing it now, but this looks to be of that batch of 16-bit games released in ~1992 which prominently featured food-related sponsorships. Zool with the Chupa-Chups, Push-Over and One Step Beyond, probably a few others.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Regarding Soccer Kid: I'm just seeing it now, but this looks to be of that batch of 16-bit games released in ~1992 which prominently featured food-related sponsorships. Zool with the Chupa-Chups, Push-Over and One Step Beyond, probably a few others.
I think there was one for 7-up. Cool Spot or something like that.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
*glances at front page weekend sales*

Quick question: is gog slowly turning into a mobile gaming store? WTF? I didn't know that 13 yr old Japanese kidnapping victims were their biggest demo.

Removal

Scholar
SSI General games.
depends on the game in question, like the DnD gold box games had their rights all held by individuals, IIRC gog had a big write up at one point about how they had to hunt down grandkids and widows who had inherited the legal rights. Other stuff like PG2 and what not are owned by Ubisoft.
Once upon a time they allegedly tried to get the Dune games but got shot down by the Frank Herbert estate because they believe the video games damage the commercial value of the Dune name

Gog has gone through the low hanging fruit of older titles and the effort to hunt down rights holders and negotiate with them probably doesn't make sense for them financially. That said their latest "old releases" all feel pretty lazy in terms of manuals and making sure the games actually run.

Quick question: is gog slowly turning into a mobile gaming store? WTF? I didn't know that 13 yr old Japanese kidnapping victims were their biggest demo.
weeb games sell very well for low upkeep and acquisition costs, especially VNs

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Stuff like that's probably played by more boomers than the games that get hit with the label. So GOG's giving everybody what they wanted. What, you don't like it? Well, there's just no pleasing you is there? Time for more animu games!

lightbane

Arcane
From The Witcher to this? GOG is gone, yep. That video probably costed more than the "game" it promotes.

Also, even though Undertale got into GOG somehow, LISA and other actually good RPGMaker games didn't... And yet VNs are flooding the news entries.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
https://af.gog.com/en/news/explore_3_engaging_titles_from_elasto_mania_team?as=1649904300

Looks like they're now selling flash games that everyone already played on Newgrounds 20 years ago. Can't wait for the Yeti Sports release.

Playing Devil's Advocate here (for this post alone), but getting Flash-games to run properly nowadays is now considered a Bitch-and-a-Half... so it's not that much of a stretch for GOG.

(They have plenty of other Stretches to deal with already.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom