Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
meat.jpg

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I then got the urge to come back to Off, many years later, and finish it this time.
The music is still awesome and I like the art. Gameplay is probably the best you can wrestle out of RPG maker.

Off-00001.jpg

There is an English version by the way.

Off-00002.jpg

Off-00003.jpg

Off-00004.jpg

Off-00005.jpg

Off-00006.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wild West and Wizards is a pretty decent indie Skyrim clone.

You can play a female character and take her boots off!
20220115174331-1.jpg

Graphics are very simple. Most of the landscape is blocky 3D with flat textures. But it doesn't look bad.
20220122204357-1.jpg

20220123232718-1.jpg

Bandits aren't good at poetry.
20220122221853-1.jpg

20220122221856-1.jpg

20220122221859-1.jpg

Giant scorpion boss enemy!
20220125211853-1.jpg

Overall, it's a decent game. Feels a bit like a mix between Skyrim and Borderlands. The shooting feels decent enough and there's a bunch of different spells to play around with.
The only problem is that the game is too big. Walking between locations takes a while and there rarely is anything interesting between them. And while there's a lot of locations, many of them feel pretty generic with just a couple of bandits to shoot and that's it.
The game doesn't have enough variety to support its size. Most of the enemies you fight are bandits, and they come in four main flavors: fire wizard, ice wizard, pistol shooter, shotgun shooter.
Your weapons also come in a limited amount of flavors: revolvers, repeater rifles, long rifles, and shotguns. Other than damage per shot, there isn't really any difference between higher and lower level weapons of the same type. Non-human monsters exist in some places, but they're generally less fun to fight than humans.

One good thing about the game is how you can do quests out of sequence. Items required for solving a quest can be found before taking the quest, and when you find the questgiver you can hand it in immediately. Very cool.

But the most annoying part about the game is the map. I like how there are no quest markers and the view distance is far enough that you can discover places just by looking at the horizon.
But whenever I navigate by the map, I have to rearrange my brain.
Let me show you a screenshot of the world map to illustrate the problem.
20220122184932-1.jpg

As you can see, the cave is east of the town, the windmills are south, and there's a bandit camp and a shack to the northwest.
At least that's what you'd think. Now look at the compass on top. Notice anything?
East is on top, south to the right, west down, and north to the left.
And no, you can't rotate the map. This is how it is. So when you plan out a route by looking at the map, you have to tell yourself that east is actually south and north is actually east and... it gets confusing.
I don't see a single reason why they did it this way. I just can't explain it. Why? Why would they do it like this??

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see a single reason why they did it this way. I just can't explain it. Why? Why would they do it like this??
Presumably, and I'm just guessing here, someone thought it would be easier to orient yourself based on where the sun is pointing down at you at any specific time of day. That's the best I can do.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Presumably, and I'm just guessing here, someone thought it would be easier to orient yourself based on where the sun is pointing down at you at any specific time of day. That's the best I can do.

The right side of the map has very tall mountains that might block the view if north was up (because then the mountains would be on the bottom, obscuring several locations on the map). So maybe they originally designed the game without the map in mind, realized that the southern mountains block the view, and rotated the map to put east on top. Then they kept it that way because they didn't want to change descriptions (like NPCs telling you "The cave south of here.")

That's the only reason I can think of.

Riskbreaker

You made the mistake of playing it on Nightmare, didn't you?
But yes, it's HUGE, exhausting, absolutely brutal. The bit where you're trapped on both sides in that streatlet near the central golden key doors, with dozens of ogres on roofs and hordes of almost every fucking enemy type bursting outta houses, that had me raging. Oh, and the "trap" near the actual sauna.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom