Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sierra QfG-likes other than Herione's Quest?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I just beat HQ and other than a few highly annoying moments, I'd love to experience other adventure/RPG hybrids like it. I looked at Hero-U and Mage's Initiation and they both don't look very appealing. Hero-U looks like a game for children, and I've read that MI is somewhat similar.

Are there other modern games in the same vein as HQ? I know there's another game made by Crystal Shard in the same spirit of HQ, I think it's called a Tale of Two Kingdoms, but I'm interested in something made by another studio. Crystal Shard, in my opinion, was too fond of gimmicky action moves required in a tight time windows, or else death. HQ was good overall, but I'd like to experience another studio's take on the QfG style.

Maybe that doesn't exist and ToTK is as close as I can get.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The only one that comes to mind is Quest for Infamy, but personally I thought it was terrible.

Also, Tale of Two Kingdoms is more like King's Quest - it doesn't have combat or skillups. Still a very good game tho and highly recommended.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The only one that comes to mind is Quest for Infamy, but personally I thought it was terrible.

Also, Tale of Two Kingdoms is more like King's Quest - it doesn't have combat or skillups. Still a very good game tho and highly recommended.
Ah ok, good to know. That makes it more interesting, actually.

I realized after I posted this that the Fallout 2 mod, Fallout Nevada, actually somewhat fits the request for another adventure/RPG hybrid. I played it a bit and was confused by the deeper integration of adventure game elements than either proper Fallout had, but in retrospect it would probably be fun to play it and think of as a more RPG-heavy QfG like.

Modron

Arcane
There really isn't anything quite like the Quest for Glory series besides the games it directly inspired like Heroine's Quest, Mages Initiation, Hero-U, and Quest for Infamy.

Nothing else will really scratch that same itch, you might find some adventure games with light rpg elements like Veil of Darkness or RPGs with some adventure game elements like The Legacy: Realm of Terror and Bloodnet.

Edit found this post from 2013:
These two might be of interest:

The Fifth Disciple - http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fifth-disciple
Gooka: The Mystery of Janatris - http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/gooka-the-mystery-of-janatris

I've recently picked up both off ebay but I haven't started them yet, so I can't offer any opinions on how they play.

First game does look like it might fit the bill.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There really isn't anything quite like the Quest for Glory series besides the games it directly inspired like Heroine's Quest, Mages Initiation, Hero-U, and Quest for Infamy.

Nothing else will really scratch that same itch, you might find some adventure games with light rpg elements like Veil of Darkness or RPGs with some adventure game elements like The Legacy: Realm of Terror and Bloodnet.

Yeah that list is pretty comprehensive.

Quest for Glory, Heroine's Quest, Mages Initiation, Quest for Infamy... Hero-U is also similar but more different than the others. But that's pretty much it.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Yeah that list is pretty comprehensive.

Quest for Glory, Heroine's Quest, Mages Initiation, Quest for Infamy... Hero-U is also similar but more different than the others. But that's pretty much it.
It's kind of crazy that a genre pioneered by a series that occupied so much of the pysche of 1990s computer gamerz is all but forgotten these days.

edit: interesting, The Fifth Desciple was also known "Brány Skeldalu II: Pátý učedník" - isn't Brany Skeldalu a czech series of blobbers as well?

Unfortunately HQ is the best of the genre, imo. QfI is very good if you like its sense of humor; many people don’t and as a result can’t stomach the game.

Mage’s Initiation is… well you can check its thread for my full thoughts on it in my review, but basically it’s bad. Some lovely backgrounds though.

A Tale of Two Kingdoms is, as mentioned, a pure point and click, but it’s great, albeit quite hard.

V_K

Arcane
West of Loathing is the most QfG-like game that is not a strict clone. It has the same mixture of slapstic and seriousness, adventure-style locations, lots of puzzles, alternative build-dependent solutions and C&Cs. The main difference it's a lot more free-form: the main quest is almost perfunctory and mostly just there to unlock different regions on the worldmap, but there are three global "sidequests" that you must put together through exploration and that have a much stronger effect on the ending you get.

Another game with a similar concept to QfG is Whispers of a Machine. It's not a full-on Adventure/RPG hybrid - there's no combat or skills with numerical values. But it has a kind of character development: choices you make in dialogs determine which new augmentations your PC gets at certain plot points, which in turn unlocks different solutions to puzzles.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
There's a fan-made game in the original SCI engine, called Betrayed Alliance. Otherwise you could look through adventure/RPG games on Mobygames and hope something there that fits what you want. Fair warning, it looks like most of those are text adventures of some kind or random crap that got the label thrown on it.

V_K

Arcane
nice new avatar V_K - what game is it from? the lovecraft fallout one?
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones.
Which, come to think of it, would also qualify as sorta-QfG-like: there's puzzles, multiples solutions and hand-drawn backgrounds. The ending level is terrible, and they never quite ironed the bugs, but the first 10 hours or so are extremely fun. Just stop it when you get to the hospital and pretend that was the real ending.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
West of Loathing is the most QfG-like game that is not a strict clone. It has the same mixture of slapstic and seriousness, adventure-style locations, lots of puzzles, alternative build-dependent solutions and C&Cs. The main difference it's a lot more free-form: the main quest is almost perfunctory and mostly just there to unlock different regions on the worldmap, but there are three global "sidequests" that you must put together through exploration and that have a much stronger effect on the ending you get.

That's an interesting perspective. I've never thought of it that way, but it makes sense on reflection.

Quest for Infamy is a goddamned masterpiece! It really captures the spirit of QfG better than any other game for me. What I especially love about this game: The worldbuilding is perfectly done, all the different screens fit together, nothing feels wrong. You get the impression of exploring a "real" geographic place. What I didn't like in HQ was that it felt very cramped - QfI gives me a feeling of an open, wide world. The three classes have very different playing styles and puzzle solutions, the humor may offend some but it's exactly my taste, the puzzle design makes sense, the story is really well written and engageing. And I just can't help but like that pesky rogue Roehm. This game is in my personal hall of fame in the adventure departement.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's maybe a bit more adventure than RPG, but Veil of Darkness is another game that comes to mind as a QFG-like.

It's kind of crazy that a genre pioneered by a series that occupied so much of the pysche of 1990s computer gamerz is all but forgotten these days.

I think it's simply because they're a) really hard to design well, and b) a tremendous amount of work.

Neuromancer

Augur
Veil of Darkness is a great game, but I would consider it more like a mixture between adventure and action game.
Yeah, you have a health bar and can be affected by status changes, but I don't think, that this is enough for an RPG.

Still as I said, a good game.

Modron

Arcane
Was just looking at Quest for Glory likes and found some not mentioned here:

Carte Blanche: First Episode - For a Fistful of Teeth
A slight layer of RPG elements is applied over the game. Edgar starts as a complete nitwit, but can learn skills and competences, either through performing actions or observing other characters' behaviour. All competences are added to his resume, and they range from "naivété" - the only skill Edgar starts with, at level 11 - and bitterness, to spying, examination, persuasion, deduction, sensuality, and, of course, ventriloquism and taxidermy. These competences appear when solving puzzles or during conversations. When multiple skills can be used, the player can craft Edgar to a certain playing style.
None of the other planned installments were released.

Dragon Riders: Chronicles of Pern
Dragon Riders is a 3D adventure game with strong RPG and action elements. The world of Pern is based upon the novels by Anne McCaffrey. The game contains over 120 locations on three continents. The player can interact and speak with over 170 characters.

The Sword of Hope is a GameBoy adventure game with standard early JRPG wizardry like combat encounters. There is a sequel as well that ups the party size to three.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/sword-of-hope
https://www.mobygames.com/game/sword-of-hope-ii

Forgot to mention Legend of Hand previously, not really an RPG but it does have turnbased combat encounters, some minor stat improvements, and some lite CnC.

This is supposed to be a Quest for Glory inspired game; I previously dismissed it because I didn't care for the visual style.

also available on itch https://divon.itch.io/phoenix-tales

A bit of a looser fit here since it has no Stat/Skill improvement but The Adventures of Maddog Williams in the Dungeons of Duridian does present similarly enough as an adventure game with combat encounters, money, and a number of things that grant score.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/adventures-of-maddog-williams-in-the-dungeons-of-duridian

Edit:
Suppose I should make a shoutout to Serpents of Siraf here to since I revived this thread: https://corby71.wixsite.com/bronze-crow-studios

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom