Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with layered equipment systems

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't give a fuck about loot wankery and dressup games. Time to abstract the shit out of inventory systems, Conquistador style.

expeditions-conquistador-800x600-1.jpg
Forget dress up for a minute. Are you telling us you are fine with purely numerically linear equipment progression like Conquistador? No tradeoffs, no unusual properties, just more is better?

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I don't give a fuck about loot wankery and dressup games. Time to abstract the shit out of inventory systems, Conquistador style.

Forget dress up for a minute. Are you telling us you are fine with purely numerically linear equipment progression like Conquistador? No tradeoffs, no unusual properties, just more is better?
Traditional inventory systems incentivize treating player characters as glorified hobos, which is OK in survival games like NEO Scavenger, but completely unnecessary in larger-than-life adventures like most RPGs. Also, I'm no dopamine junkie so I'm not interested in games as loot dispensers.

xuerebx

Erudite
I love layered equipment. But then I hate it when the equipment doesn't show up on your avatar/character! *cough* Vogel's games which I like *cough*

Codex Year of the Donut

Traditional inventory systems incentivize treating player characters as glorified hobos, which is OK in survival games like NEO Scavenger, but completely unnecessary in larger-than-life adventures like most RPGs. Also, I'm no dopamine junkie so I'm not interested in games as loot dispensers.
what you want is a tactical game
half this site doesn't seem to actually like RPGs but tactical games

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
JF just wants to mix and match a pretty girl's footwear in his fantasy vidya games. I wish I could acknowledge a user's agenda at the same time as rating prestigious.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I'm not against the concept of abstract inventory in general but I can't think of a game that handled it well (Conquistadors didn't)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JF just wants to mix and match a pretty girl's footwear in his fantasy vidya games.
I bet you 30 brofists he prefers them barefoot.

You are both correct!

Sandals if they exist, barefoot if all the footwear options are closed shoes.

That's just one equipment slot though and does not affect my preference for layering on other body parts.
Besides, I don't know a single game (other than Dwarf Fortress) that allows you to mix and match footwear, boots always come paired.

Boots and footwear should be unusable or cause heavy negative modifiers unless they are just the right size. Slightly too large ones could be usable though, if you had enough thick socks.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Come on Jarl, be both know what game you really were thinking about:

OyH2rXV.png

Jizz stains can only be applied to the first layer of clothing. To have sex, the orifice must not be covered by clothes. So the more layers of clothes you have over your holes, the more combat actions it takes before you can be raped.

It doesn't get more complex than this, folks.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Besides, I don't know a single game (other than Dwarf Fortress) that allows you to mix and match footwear, boots always come paired.

Neo Scavenger actually makes a point out of it. You can wear two left shoes and get blisters.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

what you want is a tactical game
half this site doesn't seem to actually like RPGs but tactical games
I have hard time thinking of any combat oriented crpg or tactical game with strong crpg elements - liked on the Codex - that have abstract inventory system.
> crpg:
JA2 has slots with different types of items, even some elements that are not present in most other games. Let's not go into "1.13".
KOTCes, yes you guessed it
> tactical games with crpg elements:
Battle Brothers have standard inventory with different slots and types of items, some are even slightly customizable
> not sure of the genre:
Dungeon Rats, same old, same old.

Tell us again, what him having eccentric shit taste in inventory systems and wanting abstract ones mean in itself that he doesn't want crpgs?

Falksi

Arcane
In before the usual retards jump on board the thread to ignore it's subject matter, and instead just bitch about how they can't figure out Morrowind's combat or none-pointer questing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Nobody mentioned Evil Island?
There's already Rage of Mages mentioned so why not other game from Nival...

Skdursh

Savant
Wizards & Warriors from 2000 (the one that's like Wizardry 8) has slots for boots, pants, chest, head, hood/cape, medallion, two rings, bracelet, bracer, three types of arrows, three types of potions and the standard left/right weapon slots.
Balrum has hat, medallion, cape, gloves, belt, pants, boots, 4 rings, sword, board, wand, bow and misc. utility.
STARSECTOR - for obvious reasons.
Drakensang has helmet, shoulder, quiver, bracer, gloves, shin guard, pants, boots, 2 rings, medallion, chest and the standard left/right weapon slots.
Daggerfall has head, right arm, left arm, chest, hands, legs, feet and 2 each of amulets, bracelets, rings, bracers, marks, crystals and weapon/shield slots.
7,62 High Calibre/Hard Life has 2 shoulder and neck (for holding extra weapons), helmet, NVG, backpack, uniform, ballistic vest, tactical vest, belt/waist (holds secondary weapon/other), pockets, 2 hands which can hold anything (from the gun you're shooting to whatever else), weapons have multiple attachments including optics, silencers, laser sight, grenade launchers, bayonets, stability attachments, flashlights, underbarrel shotgun, ect. Multiple different types of ammunition for each caliber.
Escape From Tarkov has thousands of different little components for absolutely everything which can then expand to even more slots depending on what it is, what is attached to it and in what orientation.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom