Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What influencers you in buying any game?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Depends on the stage of my life:

1. First, I was identifying cool games in mags and pirated them. The ones that were the coolest, I'd ask family to send me big boxes from abroad, buy for birthday etc. Sometimes, I bought one from my savings.
2. Then, I was working in game dev/loc/distribution industry and had pretty much unlimited access to all new titles.
3. Then, there were a couple of years when I pretty much wasn't gaming at all, apart from playing absolute classics from time to time. Didn't buy shit.
4. Then, I came back to gaming with lots of expendable income and bought pretty much anything that was connected to my favorite genres and didn't look popamole.
5. Currently, I stopped buying new games completely apart from some rare exceptions and I'm slowly moving through my scarily enormous backlog.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Usually I try the "demo" version before buying, but in general I follow the rules:

- no drm or mandatory online
- no metroidvania
- no soulslikes
- no roguelites
- no deckbuilding
- no crafting
- no ARPGs
- no with 'RPG' elements
- devs should be human beings and not semi-sentient mega-corporations.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
must be a quality game, and i dont mean quality production level

I mean gameplay must be exceptional

and i dont give a shit who the developer is, its not a guarantee of anything

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
like I remember back in the day, there wasnt any of this bullshit

you maybe read a preview in a local gaming magazine, and the game is done when its done and no one is bitching or cocqueting with the fans. developing in a bubble

people were buying games stricly based on previous games in the franchise

BruceVC

Magister
like I remember back in the day, there wasnt any of this bullshit

you maybe read a preview in a local gaming magazine, and the game is done when its done and no one is bitching or cocqueting with the fans. developing in a bubble

people were buying games stricly based on previous games in the franchise

Interestingly enough this is still the most important factor for me in buying a game , previous games in the series that I have played and enjoyed

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Ofc..... the real test of how good a sequel will sell is not how good it is, its how good the original was

thats why PoE 2 failed and why people still buy Vogels games

Gostak

Educated
Whoa, let's see.
It has to fulfill some criteria or be sufficiently interesting. For me these help:
good strategy/meaningful choices
good "AI" (autonomous believable agents that can do pretty much anything a player can can be an ideal here)
diplomacy
procgen
UGC
some MP
still developing
active modding scene
setting or certain feature that appeals to me like spaceship boarding
good bang for the bucks (prospectful to spent lots of hours with it without it getting boring quickly)

=> 5 factors
- shall be / stay well varied in a way (boredom should not be likely to come quickly with that game) / good potential for lots of surprises
- gameplay must be good fun for me of course
- my rig has to be capable to run it (latest graphics requirements are straight out)
- multiplayer capability is definitely a plus but not necessarily a must
- especially appealing feature(s) and/or setting

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I dunno. I'm as right-wing and anti-SJW as it gets but I'd totally make a game set in medieval Africa because it's an interesting and underused setting. And I prefer female characters over male ones so I'd go for a covergirl before a coverguy.

There would be nothing at all political about that game.
You don't prefer female characters over male characters. You prefer characters with tits over characters with dongs. And hopefully not with both.
The other guy is right, such setting made today would, with 100% certainty, be used to virtue signal and to all kind of ideological statements. Sad because otherwise i'd play it too.

Talking about tits. This is it. The answer to the OP. Tits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom