Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Troubles with starting new games

Dunno if it's just me burning out but have you ever had troubles to force yourself to start new game? I mean, you know it's a good title and there's going to be fun but to even think of clicking launch icon makes you wanna vomit and drains you out of mental energy instantly? And even if you managed to run that shit there's a strong urge to quit / prolong playing for an unnamed period of time?

Once you're into it and feel the rhytm it's ok but forcing yourself just to fukkin start is the hardest part, why?

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Dunno if it's just me burning out but have you ever had troubles to force yourself to start new game? I mean, you know it's a good title and there's going to be fun but to even think of clicking launch icon makes out wanna vomit and drains you out of mental energy instantly? And even if you managed to run that shit there's a strong urge to quit / prolong playing for an unnamed period of time?
no
maybe your mouse is broken or something

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I'm definitely becoming much more picky with age. If no games seem particularly appealing to me ATM, and I try to force myself to enjoy one, then yeah that's mentally draining and quickly starts to feel like a chore. I'm trying to get into the habit of reading books instead, when I feel like that.

Right now there's nothing on my radar until Elden Ring next month. Fighting the urge to replay old games that I already know by heart. Just shoot me if I start yet another playthrough of ELEX this year.

Just kidding of course, nobody can get sick of replaying ELEX.

:prosper:

Falksi

Arcane
Around 80% of games released now are an outright fucking chore to get into.

Too many tutorials, too many bloated intros, rarely any time or space given just to fuck about with the game itself.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dunno if it's just me burning out but have you ever had troubles to force yourself to start new game? I mean, you know it's a good title and there's going to be fun but to even think of clicking launch icon makes you wanna vomit and drains you out of mental energy instantly? And even if you managed to run that shit there's a strong urge to quit / prolong playing for an unnamed period of time?

Once you're into it and feel the rhytm it's ok but forcing yourself just to fun fukkin start is the hardest part, why?
Have you played Archolos yet?

Unwanted
Today there's some sort of implicit push to play as many games as possible to be able to partake in discussions and communities, and frankly it's unnatural. Most old guys here grew up playing a few games extensively every year, as it should. I find preferable to play 4 or 5 games throughout a year instead of moving to the next hot thing ASAP or juggling several games at the same time.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Most games aren't worth your time, but it takes a lot of effort to find out.

You usually have to learn a bunch of mechanics and systems, and then get into the setting and scenario presented to you before you even find out if you like the game. With RPGs and tactical games it's even worse, as the systems are more complex; plus RPGs often require you to understand those systems and apply them optimally when creating characters, notwithstanding the frequent lore dumps at the start. If the game's good the mastery here is rewarding, but often it's just tedium, and even the best games have a certain amount of it.

Apprehension to start is totally understandable.

curds

Magister
I tend to restart a new game several times, often over the course of years before I can get into them.

Some of my favourites, even, like ToEE, KotC, Witcher 1, PST, Deus Ex and Arcanum. I played the first chapters like 3-4 times over a few years before really getting into them.

I played early game Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma near release, and it's only like ten years later that I came back to them, completed them, and now they're some of my favourites.

laclongquan

Arcane
What do you mean "force yourself to like one and play one"?

Are you masochist?

If you dont like it, dont like it. If you dont play it, dont play it.

What's it with forcing sheesh?

Just because it's Skyrim, or sheesh, doesnt mean it should make you feel "forced" to play.

mondblut

Arcane

Once you're into it and feel the rhytm it's ok but forcing yourself just to fun fukkin start is the hardest part, why?

All the time, man. All the time.

The fact that early game is almost universally boring as hell (but you still need it to learn the ropes) doesn't help either.

And as you get near the end of a game, you begin to feel the cold dread that you're gonna need to pick a new one soon. Ugh.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Not really, I find it more troublesome to continue playing a game after it suddenly gets difficult. Mind you, these days I'm not usually playing the kind of games with deep, complex mechanics I need to spend hours figuring out, so that probably helps with being more willing to fire up some random title.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Haven't you ever done something you didn't really want to do, but knew you might enjoy, and ended up happy about it?

Sometimes things you like require an effort before they're enjoyable. It's like anything you have to learn; it's rewarding when you get deep into it, but it requires some motivation to get there and see any real return on your time.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I just play whatever I think I would enjoy the most and take breaks if I start to feel burnout. I can't be bothered to keep up with the latest games most of the time anyway. I'm currently playing The Magic Candle and really enjoying it.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Two sub-categories here:

- You're actively playing or replaying whatever games you happen to consider monocled.
- You're not playing anything in particular, you're just sort of numb to everything.

If you're in the first case, fine, you don't like how shit games have become.

If you're in the second case, you're both a poseur or fishing for grognard credz by caling all new games shit, instead of looking at more obvious culprits like aging, cynicism, lack of free time, media fatigue and novelty overdose.

"Games used to be so much better", he says, right before never playing these supposedly superior games ever.
you sound like a fucking loser who plays shit games

Azdul

Magister
I remember launching Gothic 1, Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 1, Deus Ex, Half-Life for the very first time and not being able to put them down for a very long time. There was sense of adventure, venture into the unknown and something unexpected at every corner.

Reading manual or magazine preview with 2-3 screenshots was enough to peak curiosity - without killing the suspense.

However, in the age of Internet, video reviews, aggressive marketing campaigns and RPGCodex threads discussing every minute detail - that sense of adventure is gone.

The way to fix it - as I see it - is to buy some obscure 20 years old games for 3 bucks each - and start reading manuals. If the manual is interesting enough to read till the end and immerse you in the world - only then launch the game - not worrying too much how it was received by other people on the Internet.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
I remember launching Gothic 1, Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 1, Deux Ex, Half-Life for the very first time and not being able to put them down for a very long time. There was sense of adventure, venture into the unknown and something unexpected at every corner.
Agreed. I thought at first that it was because I was getting older, but that's not it. Many games still give me that sense of discovery, they're just rare.

There are more games today, which means more shit games, but there are still good ones. Many games look like the good ones from the good old times, or pretend to be spiritual successors or whatever, or come from the same developers, but do not come close at all. There is also the fact that as you play you become more discerning, games aren't new so you aren't impressed by basic stuff, and you want more quality. In other words, there's more shit and mediocrity to sort through. But there's also more diversity for your niche interests. Overall though, quality is always rare.

Me, I don't play as many games as before, but there are some that I haven't been able to put down in recent years: Age of Decadence, ATOM, ELEX, Divinity: OS2, Disco Elysium, I'm sure I'm forgetting some. They all had something fresh for me. Everything else I've played was basically just fun filler, sometimes competent, but not engrossing. But compare the games you consider great in recent years with those you considered such between 1995-2005, and you might find that the amount is not that much different. The fact that we're still talking about Fallout 1 or Gothic 1 is proof that there aren't many greats.

Spukrian

Savant

I feel like this often. I guess it's OCD or something. I always want to finish a game, therefore before starting a new one I always feel apprehensive. I always wonder if the time and effort that I sink into whatever game will be worth it? Though it's easier to start playing games that are shorter.

I'm also bit slower than the average player. I tend to take my time, with games often taking longer to finish than the estimated time.

laclongquan

Arcane

Haven't you ever done something you didn't really want to do, but knew you might enjoy, and ended up happy about it?

Sometimes things you like require an effort before they're enjoyable. It's like anything you have to learn; it's rewarding when you get deep into it, but it requires some motivation to get there and see any real return on your time.
No. That sounds like some dumbass twenties or teens would do. I know cause I used to play plenty of shit games, even "forced" myself to play some of them.

You know the last game I that I feel "forced" to play due to how much Codex rave? Gothic, bitch. And that shit got uninstalled after 2 hours, even with nude mod installed and sheesh.

Nowadays I only play games that I MUST feel interested, MUST really like it first, before I even take the trouble of install the game in 1st place.

Fallout New Vegas? That is nearly ten years before I even install it. F3? That is 20 years.

After that Gothic debacle, I dont ever play game that feel a slightest twitch of "forced". Either I like it enough to install and play, or NOT.
-----
There is one thing a guy should know, come his age, is how much he feel about something. Not "should", not "try". Really "feel". And how much effort he willing to pay for such thing.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

No. That sounds like some dumbass twenties or teens would do. I know cause I used to play plenty of shit games, even "forced" myself to play some of them.

You know the last game I that I feel "forced" to play due to how much Codex rave? Gothic, bitch. And that shit got uninstalled after 2 hours, even with nude mod installed and sheesh.

Nowadays I only play games that I MUST feel interested, MUST really like it first, before I even take the trouble of install the game in 1st place.

Fallout New Vegas? That is nearly ten years before I even install it. F3? That is 20 years.

After that Gothic debacle, I dont ever play game that feel a slightest twitch of "forced". Either I like it enough to install and play, or NOT.
-----
There is one thing a guy should know, come his age, is how much he feel about something. Not "should", not "try". Really "feel". And how much effort he willing to pay for such thing.
bitch you suck

gothic is great

seems like you are retard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom