Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
CREATE A NEW UNIVERSE WITH US

blizz.jpg

Open roles: All, everyone quit.

Not everyone, there's at least 2 people remaining. Source:

Profile, its interesting.

My husband and my friend need new people to bone at work, apply today!

:Flash:

Arcane

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Microsoft is buying up these game publishers for a cynical reason, Gamepass.

You want games? Pay 10 bucks a month and you have all* the games. It's not a bad deal, that's the worst of it.

This way, they'll have a self-sustaining economy, like Netflix and Disney+. That's the long and short of it. Microsoft doesn't give a damn if you play these games on a PC or XBox, or whether you play them at all. Just pay the monthly fee. Some of that money will roll back into game development, but most will be pocketed by Microsoft.

Gaming, like movies, is becoming increasingly IP based. People play CoD because it is CoD, not because it is good. People play Warcraft because it's Warcraft and so on. New and innovative games, made by small studios, will probably also find a way into Gamepass.

Gamepass is love. Gamepass is life. All hail Gamepass.

*all does not mean all, but a shitload, more than you'll even need or want to play

Viata

Arcane
Blizzard is creating a new IP!

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23768911/create-a-new-universe-with-us

Create a new universe with us
Blizzard EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2022
B0PINTVCA64V1643130471662.png

Blizzard is embarking on our next quest. We are going on a journey to a whole new universe, home to a brand-new survival game for PC and console.
At first I thought this was a meta post about Blizzard's survival under Microsoft rule.
It's set in the blizzard offices where you play a woman trying to survive the cosby suite

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
If I were an a private equity firm (or a big American tech company) I would probably be looking at those publishers and thinking "why don't I just buy a couple of them, fix their internal politics and actually make something of their immense backcatalogue?".
You've just described the history of the japanese economy since the 90s. The japanese bent the knee and adopted shareholder capitalism. It happened partly due to a trade war and partly because the japense themselves drank of the american cool aid of liberalism + libertardism. The result is that their economy was bought out by american investors that are subsidized by the american government.

This is all wrong.

Danikas

Arcane

You want games? Pay 10 bucks a month and you have all* the games. It's not a bad deal, that's the worst of it.

This way, they'll have a self-sustaining economy, like Netflix and Disney+. That's the long and short of it. Microsoft doesn't give a damn if you play these games on a PC or XBox, or whether you play them at all. Just pay the monthly fee. Some of that money will roll back into game development, but most will be pocketed by Microsoft.

Gaming, like movies, is becoming increasingly IP based. People play CoD because it is CoD, not because it is good. People play Warcraft because it's Warcraft and so on. New and innovative games, made by small studios, will probably also find a way into Gamepass.

*all does not mean all, but a shitload, more than you'll even need or want to play

Cant wait for my house pass and food pass the future is looking bright

:positive:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But who knows when it comes to MS. They are giving out Windows for frees like candy, got 7 for free, 10 for free, now they urge me to go 11. I can only assume they collect data worse than Google does, otherwise they did not make a single buck off private users for a decade at least...
Microsoft makes most of their money from the server/enterprise side, investors have long wanted them to spin the rest of the company off onto its own.
Which is why this acquisition is a bit surprising tbh.
I heard their cloud offerings (called Azure) and their services (mail, office suite, teams, one drive...) is making big bucks too

Just what everyone wanted, another survival game.

Blizzard has become the equivalent of those studios that makes Diablo clones. What irony.

Blizzard making a polished and accessible game in an existing genre has worked in the past, with WoW in MMO and Overwatch for team-based RTS (then they failed with HotS in mobas and I can't really comment on Hearthstone). So not really surprising.

J1M

Arcane
Microsoft is not doing exclusives because they are trying to turn "Xbox" into a sort of universal gaming brand like Nintendo was in the 80s, except bigger of course. Problem is that this is Microsoft we are talking about. A company whose only really successful console was the xbox360 and even that was more because of Sony internally sabotaging itself rather than the result of Microsoft's impeccable business sense. Their "Halo studio"(343) is so good at making Halo games that their best product to this date is praised for not being utterly shit and pretty much every other exclusive game they had lined up for the Xbone one was cancelled or flopped. If Windows did not have a literal monopoly on home computing they would have been out several times over.

They have been unable to leverage any of their advantages against any of their competitors for over a decade at this point so unless they dramatically shake up their management the only thing they effectively done with these acquisitions is that they have paid billions to reduce their value to 0.
Azure.

J1M

Arcane
Why would Microsoft make console exclusives?

O hai, welcome from the year 2022.

From your retarded question, I can only assume you are posting via a timewarp from some time before the year 2001.

You see, in that year, Microsoft will launch their own console! Hard to believe but it really happens. There's a Playstation and a Nintendo and a Sega and a fucking Microsoft console. It's actually just a PC with a hard drive and everything and will in fact cause all other consoles to become PC's going forward but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Let's just say, In our time, Microsoft owns their own console and they release exclusive games for it, in order to make people buy more consoles.

Also in about 2011 or so there will be this thing called "bitcoin", it will look retarded and be worthless.

Buy as much of it as you possibly can. Thank me later.
You are so witty. Please tell us why doesn't MS make console exclusives for 5 years? Because it seems to me that with the exception of Halo, every new XBox title is also coming to PC.

They are XBAWX exclusive at launch. Then later ported to PC.

You're welcome.
That's not how crossplay games are developed.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Like Farcebook, it's all about the "metaverse"...

Think of the movie "Ready Player One."

This is the dystopia the elites have in store for us.

I like this idea that gaming is becoming IP based like the movies, as if gaming hasn't been there since the '90s. Even this language, referring to series as IPs comes from video games. It's how people have been talking about the video games they like since the 2000s. Something I thought was funny during some Force Awakens fan questionnaire thing, (so probably at Celebration) before the movie came out, someone asked JJ about working on the Star Wars IP, and JJ was kind of taken aback by that language because it wasn't really how you'd hear people talk about movies; but referring to stuff as just some property was how video games had been getting talked about by fans since like the mid 2000s or something.

I can't really see why most of you guys give a shit about Game Pass when you're all using Steam. If you're not using Stream, then OK, I get it. But at least Game Pass is honest about what it is. It's not this pseudo ownership bullshit where you pay full price to pretend to own some digital copy of a game you don't actually own. Game Pass isn't some dystopian shit, Steam was, and basically every PC gamer ceded ground on this digital fight a decade ago. God I kind of hope Microsoft just pulls the license on everything they own that's on Steam so people can see how shit Steam is, and how the thing people say could never happen (even when it has) is one buyout or merger away from happening.

I don't really see the big deal about Game Pass, and this is coming from a weirdo that hasn't used Steam since before you could "buy" games on it, only uses GOG, and who has stuff like the Japanese import for Capcom Belt Action Collection because I don't want a digital version if there's an option. But Game Pass? Seems kind of like renting, and when Blockbuster was still around I rented games with the unlimited trade-in deal all the time. Anyways, all this shit was clearly going the way of Netflix by like 2010. It's almost surprising it's taken everyone just these last few years to really jump on board given how clear the future was. Give it a few more years and Steam will probably move over to a similar model; if they were smart they'd of done that before Xbox Game Pass was even a thing and they started losing indies to Switch.

tritosine2k

Erudite

Like Farcebook, it's all about the "metaverse"...

Think of the movie "Ready Player One."

This is the dystopia the elites have in store for us.

EA already tried this with each game converted to frostbite and they failed in such spectacular fashion I tend to think this is some irresistible managerial kool aid in the end.
ARC Raiders – Nexon unveils co-op PVE shooter from studio headed by former EA executive
2 MONTHS AGO
ARC-Raiders-image.png

Prepare to enlist and resist ruthless mechanized threats descending from the skies in ARC Raiders, the first official game from Nexon’s western subsidiary, Embark Studios. Unveiled today at The Game Awards, ARC Raiders is a cooperative third-person PvE shooter where players must team up to resist the onslaught of ARC, fearless enemies that drop from orbit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom