Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are so many Codexers like this?

Endless

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
lizwhPJ.jpg

Humanophage

Arcane
Piracy actually saved decent games in Eastern Europe. This is why you get games like Pathfinder, Underrail, and ATOM.

Well-developed piracy meant that these regions were not a viable target for AAA trash or the console expansion. Good games were put on the same footing as games that received inordinate promotion. Something like KOTOR would be as available as something like King of Dragon Pass, and there was less novelty bias in games.

The problem is insufficient piracy in the US, which meant that companies could get rich from making AAA trash by promoting poor taste, and bad games got normalised. Now the US RPG is dead, but we still get plenty of great games from other regions.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Looking Glass and Black Isle's shuttering was more due to their connections to Eidos and Interplay respectively than piracy.

Troika also had a very poor history with their publishers.

And why did Sir-tech go bankrupt?

thinking.png

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I pirated a LOT of games when I was a broke child/teenager, nowadays I don't pirate any game.
I'd say that's probably the way it happened for most of us.
I bought the odd game as a kid/teenager/student, but most I... "found on a bus".

But nowadays I have income, so there's really no reason not to buy a game if I want to play it.
When you have the income but don't even want to spend the price of a meal on a game, you're a dick and should get your rectum cleaned with a mining drill for educational purposes.

The problem is insufficient piracy in the US, which meant that companies could get rich from making AAA trash by promoting poor taste, and bad games got normalised.
Yep. If we just pirate great adventure games and CRPGs even more, then we will very soon experience an absolutely unbelievable renaissance of these genres.

That said, every single person torrenting great quality games is a hero fighting the good fight. Firstly, if a development studio makes less money due to piracy, then they will be able to hire more employees. Secondly, making less money removes any incentive to dumb down games in order to improve sales. Thirdly, game developers that make good money are easily driven away from the games industry; making less money means they won't be enticed to get a better paying job at a software developer, for example.

Last edited:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I pirated a LOT of games when I was a broke child/teenager, nowadays I don't pirate any game.

If it was like me, the games I pirated weren't really lost revenue because I would've never been able to afford them otherwise. Once I got a job however, I paid for my games.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Eh, had no choice but to play bootleg versions of games back then, if it makes you feel better.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Re: What? posters

Do you guys think torrenting was A Thing back in 2000? Back then we had to exchange CDs with the ripped game files on them. Saying that the companies in the meme were brought down by piracy is stupid.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because piracy was a huge deal back in 1998...
Are you saying it wasn't? Because I'm willing to guess it was more of a deal back then than now (surprisingly hard to find stats, btw), but there wasn't cheap and convenient online distribution systems like Steam etc.

And if go a bit further back, piracy was rampant on 16-bit machines.

But that's a separate question from the viability of the said companies, and I agree, it is unlikely to be the reason of their downfall.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Are you saying it wasn't? Because I'm willing to guess it was more of a deal back then than now (surprisingly hard to find stats, btw), but there wasn't cheap and convenient online distribution systems like Steam etc.

a lot of gamers didn't have a choice even if they got the money. Legit copies were hard to find, especially in Eastern Europe (and we know that half of the codexers are from Eastern Europe).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

a lot of gamers didn't have a choice even if they got the money. Legit copies were hard to find, especially in Eastern Europe (and we know that half of the codexers are from Eastern Europe).

Slavs will steal things purely on principle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom