Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are so many Codexers like this?

Reinhardt

Arcane
There is nothing to even pirate in the west anymore. I'll buy KOTC2 and whatever BB developers are doing right now. And that's all.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
a lot of gamers didn't have a choice even if they got the money. Legit copies were hard to find, especially in Eastern Europe (and we know that half of the codexers are from Eastern Europe).
Not really. At least not past 1990. Before that it wasn't piracy because it was allowed by the state law, so in a way all "copies" were legit. At least in Potato. I think everywhere in the eastern bloc as well.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
lizwhPJ.jpg

None of these companies died because of piracy, they died because nobody played their games. And mismanagement.

Danikas

Arcane
a lot of gamers didn't have a choice even if they got the money. Legit copies were hard to find, especially in Eastern Europe (and we know that half of the codexers are from Eastern Europe).
In the 90s there were no local publishers in Poland they sold imported games for western prices meaning one gayme would cost 1/5 of your salary only retards would pay this price there was no other option but to steal from western faggots who tried to rob us blind. Later when there were polish publishers prices got better but by that time good gayming studios were dead so there is nothing worthwhile to purchase. I will buy maybe one new game a year in current market I have 100s of old games that are better than modern trash.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I like paying when i feel i get quality for the money. I paid full price for underrail+expansion because styg deserve it. I will pay full price for underrail 2.
Ive bought pathfinder kingmaker on sale but i kinda regret it in the end

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Slavs will steal things purely on principle.
No, those are gypsies. We Slaves are the ones who are always drunk. And the Fedora Masters are the ones that are stupid. Get your stereotypes right*!

It is not a stereotype for gypsies

The good people over at a certain Russian piracy forum prove you wrong. Those guys will steal even the worst shovelware Steam has to offer, just because.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
No, those are gypsies. We Slaves are the ones who are always drunk. And the Fedora Masters are the ones that are stupid. Get your stereotypes right*!

The good people over at a certain Russian piracy forum prove you wrong. Those guys will steal even the worst shovelware Steam has to offer, just because.
People from one forum are your "argument"? Well, this is rich even by your troll standards. Thanks for providing an argument for MY stereotype though. And i don't mean the ones about Poles or Gypsies. That was a nice touch.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

People from one forum are your "argument"? Well, this is rich even by your troll standards. Thanks for providing an argument for MY stereotype though. And i don't mean the ones about Poles or Gypsies. That was a nice touch.

1. Who the fuck are you anyway
2. You have no clue what place I'm talking about
3. Not an argument
4. Eat shit

Falksi

Arcane
Is piracy really that big a deal anymore? I pay for all my games now coz it doesn't scratch the earnings. I should imagine most PC gamers are the same apart from the young kids, who are all phone gamers now anyway.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Is piracy really that big a deal anymore? I pay for all my games now coz it doesn't scratch the earnings. I should imagine most PC gamers are the same apart from the young kids, who are all phone gamers now anyway.

It's mostly an issue for AAA games on release, everything AA and below has to worry about getting people to play games in the first place

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
In my holy quest to heal the gaming market, I completely stopped both buying and pirating games. Achieving zen through online games of AoE2 and HoMM3 with my, now mostly geriatric, friends and relatives.

Not really. At least not past 1990.
Well, really. Particularly if you didn't live in one of the bigger cities. Even then, a lot of games were simply not distributed or came with 1-2 year delay.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
People who pay for digital games are cucks. You want to pay the devs? No, the devs have already been paid, they've got a salary. You want to pay companies who get richer by being rich. Abandon this cuckoldery, you fools.

If a product has broken even, there's no point in giving that company more money. If you do, it will be spent on whores and coke by the owners on expensive yachts, none of it will go towards the devs. You may as well find the owners in person and suck their cock yourselves, no need for stupid whores when you are one.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

1. Who the fuck are you anyway
2. You have no clue what place I'm talking about
3. Not an argument
4. Eat shit
1. I am a guy writing posts on the Internet on a forum called RPG Codex. DUH.
2. No i don't because you didn't write it. DUH.
3. No it really isn't. It isn't a conversation about arguments but who can better shitpost. I win. DUH.
4. If you are not a self-hating Slav then you must be a nigger. Of some kind. Which is sorta obvious if you think about it. Self-DUH.
5. DUH.

spectre

Arcane
Just because you plopped out a turd doesn't mean you're entitled to get money only because I've gotten a whiff.
Not everything deserves to be bought. This is the entertainment industry and sometimes you're just not good enough and deserve to starve/go back to picking turnips.

Just to be clear on this, the principle is usually as follows - if you "buy" a game on Steam, you don't really own it and they can take it away at at their whim.
An iso file is just one of the ways to make sure you retain some semblance of exerting control over property.
You will not have an easy time implementing the "you will own nothing and be happy" bullshit hereabouts.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Piracy actually saved decent games in Eastern Europe. This is why you get games like Pathfinder, Underrail, and ATOM.

Well-developed piracy meant that these regions were not a viable target for AAA trash or the console expansion. Good games were put on the same footing as games that received inordinate promotion. Something like KOTOR would be as available as something like King of Dragon Pass, and there was less novelty bias in games.

The problem is insufficient piracy in the US, which meant that companies could get rich from making AAA trash by promoting poor taste, and bad games got normalised. Now the US RPG is dead, but we still get plenty of great games from other regions.
I'd actually attribute that mostly to gaming mags, who were extremely popular and often promoted prestigious games and later started distributing them at a very low price in huge quantities. While praising piracy, you have to remember that pirates mostly copied the popular games too, since they were subjective to basic market rules as well, or that while piracy allowed people to afford games, PCs themselves were a real luxury through most of the nineties. Consoles were actually always p popular and the standard, sub-simian iq, console rhetoric like "this sub-vga game running in 12 fps on a crt tv looks amazing compared to what PC can do!!!" was very much present as early as mid-nineties.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
In my holy quest to heal the gaming market, I completely stopped both buying and pirating games. Achieving zen through online games of AoE2 and HoMM3 with my, now mostly geriatric, friends and relatives.

Not really. At least not past 1990.
Well, really. Particularly if you didn't live in one of the bigger cities. Even then, a lot of games were simply not distributed or came with 1-2 year delay.
Coming with "delay" doesn't necessarily make my statement wrong. Even in the west at the time not all games were distributed everywhere. It is only with Internet that most titles started being available mostly everywhere. However by mid 90s all bigger titles were available. And by mid i mean starting from 93/94. I admit i don't know how it was in 91/92 so perhaps I wrongly said "past 90", should have said past "92/93". You might have a partial point about the "bigger city" but let's not go crazy about it. It's not like Poland is the size of Russia or has Alaska and people live many hundreds of kilometres from one of those bigger cities.
So no, still not really.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Again, not really. Open any older mag that stated game's distributor in review, like SS, and you'll see that quite a lot of games have "n/a". And those reviews were often already printed quite a long time after the game's official release in the west. And living in a small town was definitely an issue, where I lived both PC and console players were supplied p much exclusively from abroad since it was both easier and cheaper.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I stopped to pay the games... not really I shuld say stopped to play (((western]]] AAA games, still bought all I pirated in nineties though sometimes multiple times first on disc then on steam and GOG. Germ saying that Slavs are nations of thieves is rich from someone who to this this day did not payed reparations for WW I and WW II.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom