Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix TRIANGLE STRATEGY - tactical RPG from Octopath Traveler devs

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

They have an alpha demo up on the e-shop and will be taking feedback like they did with Octopath Traveler. I'll probably download it in a bit. Nintendo Switch only for now, but we saw what happened with Octopath...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
I see they leaned real hard into FFT right there. Well, that's just fine with me. There are worse games to ape, and it should also work well with a Switch market well primed by Fire Emblem and others.

"You see, they fought over salt.... and iron. And so the war was called.... saltiron war!"

Looking forward to the sequel, Gasoil War and the Revenge of the Black Geyser

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The demo already has nice features in battle like you can press the R button to speed up every animation, enemy's moves, etc.

My biggest problem with Octopath was that it was just so repetitive, and halfway through I got bored. I liked the concept but the execution was lacking. Between the fact that tactical gameplay has a ton more variety and emergent systems than standard jrpg turn-based of octopath, and depending how good the c&c is then playing through as the three different factions might offer a bit more variety.

Also the game is hyper focused on TRIANGLES lol... the three factions/kingdoms, the 'conviction system' based on unity, morality, or liberty. there are "three phases" of gameplay: story / exploration / battle, etc.

Last edited:

Enkidu

Novice
I see they leaned real hard into FFT right there. Well, that's just fine with me. There are worse games to ape, and it should also work well with a Switch market well primed by Fire Emblem and others.

"You see, they fought over salt.... and iron. And so the war was called.... saltiron war!"

Looking forward to the sequel, Gasoil War and the Revenge of the Black Geyser
Names aside everything is looking good. Also got that Tactics Ogre/FFT impression right from the intro.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Uses the same boring combat system as Octopath where you should hoard SPs or whatever and dump them all on your heaviest attack to kill the HP bloat enemies. Game was way too easy even though they warned you that they made the missions harder on purpose for the demo. Visuals aren't that interesting anymore since Octopath kinda wore it out for me. The voice acting felt unusually flat, which is dire for a game that is going to rely on character driven drama to drive the plot. Once again the translator has taken it upon themselves to call knights as 'ser' instead of 'sir (fuck Game of Thrones). Couldn't say that I enjoyed my time with the demo.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Huge LUTC vibes, hope they deliver. I really can't stand the artstyle and the bloom, hope that we can at least turn it off.

Amurada

Educated
Enjoying the TP system. If implemented properly, the redundant moves from FFT could be more worthwhile due to lower TP costs. Here's hoping that there are varied TP bonus passive abilities for a single class. Would be neat to have two ice mages with different approaches to combat. The only issue is the lack of feedback for storing TP. Waiting ought to be labeled Default, and result in an animated VFX.

Disappointing that the death timer mechanic from FFT isn't implemented in this game. Have revived characters come back with a temp 1/2 max HP cap or sumthin. Either that; or threaten permadeaths with a one slot autosave for those willing to go through the process.

Here's hoping that they don't use the false promise of choices affecting the story with multiple branching paths. Would be cool if there was some sort of 4X-lite diplomacy system that choices affected instead. Who knows, maybe the game could do these branching paths justice -- as far as I know, that Detroit: Become Human game is the only time the promise was ever done justice.

I think I would be a lot more interested in this game and Octopath if they had proper character portraits. Everything else looks great graphically. But I want portraits. The lack of them BOTHERS me.

Terra

Cipher
To this day, it's a mystery why Square never even tried to make any proper sequel to FFT (FFTA trash doesn't count). Sure Quest got gobbled up, but with the TO remaster on PSP I had some faint hope maybe someone at the company had an interest in making gorgeous looking isometric tactics games. Yet here we stand, years later. To the point though, this looks good and I'm interested.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To this day, it's a mystery why Square never even tried to make any proper sequel to FFT (FFTA trash doesn't count). Sure Quest got gobbled up, but with the TO remaster on PSP I had some faint hope maybe someone at the company had an interest in making gorgeous looking isometric tactics games. Yet here we stand, years later. To the point though, this looks good and I'm interested.
If it makes you feel more bad, they have been publishing a FFT-based gacha game for years.

jOEZna5oIf-dg9UYMOXnr9lp4vax-JyZ4Bd5I60g5iFitSmB8iW0eRbz9jTS6oq0A8U=w1413-h811-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/....android_googleplay.WOTVffbeww&hl=en_US&gl=US

Repressed Homosexual
We all know that this game is going to be exactly like Octopath Traveler: a solid game that makes you say "cool, it looks just like a classic JRPG!", that is fun to play... but ultimately bland, generic and unmemorable, that nobody is ever going to talk about anymore in ten years.

Siveon

Bot
We all know that this game is going to be exactly like Octopath Traveler: a solid game that makes you say "cool, it looks just like a classic JRPG!", that is fun to play... but ultimately bland, generic and unmemorable, that nobody is ever going to talk about anymore in ten years.
I dunno Salt and Iron War is pretty funny.

Enkidu

Novice
At least "THIS IS ESCAPISM, ITS NOT HEALTHY!" is a good quote. it felt good breaking kids dreams on FFTA.
We also had an FFXIV april fools btw.

Siveon

Bot
At least "THIS IS ESCAPISM, ITS NOT HEALTHY!" is a good quote. it felt good breaking kids dreams on FFTA.
We also had an FFXIV april fools btw.

That looks really cute, I'm kind of mad.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I need to get a switch, so many cool games on it.

Wait for the upgraded Switch that's supposed to come out soon (that's what I'm doing, anyway). Multiple Switch games (Breath of the Wild, for example) seem to have performance issues that the better hardware should solve.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Project Triangle Strategy is now Triangle strategy. The madmen kept the name. Game is Switch exclusive (My bet is 6-12 months for PC release).

The game still looks fun. My issue with what I have seen is overuse of bloom. Hopefully, this is half as good as Tactics Ogre. It's the game that first comes to mind, due to the choices you can make.

Here's the survey results after the February demo:
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...gy-debut-demo-survey-results-nintendo-switch/

Trailers differ a bit.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I played the demo. The combat was decent and the visuals were top notch. Not sure about the writing yet, but it can't be as bad as Fire Emblem Three Homos.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some older trailers. I created a topic, because this one didn't show up in search. I will post updates here from now on.

The below video is gameplay from Taipei Game Show. Unfortunately, not in English. But it does give those who did not try the demo a glimpse of the gameplay.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
And just like that, English trailer. I'm not a great fan of the VA, and I don't expect top tier writing. Team Asano games are better at gameplay.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
This reminds me a bit of Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodoss. Amazing story in that game and it also had an amazing battle system. When will this game come out?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom